RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Changing of the guard at CU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 10/15/05 7:46 am    ::: Changing of the guard at CU Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/cu_womens_basketball/article/0,1713,BDC_2449_4160611,00.html

" "Whitney has really adjusted to the change, going from Georgia to Colorado and now this being her third coach, that hasn't affected her," McConnell-Miller said. "Yari learning a new system takes a little more to absorb. So I think that youth has something to do with it." "

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/15/05 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could be a while before Colorado gets back on track. Putting a fifth-year senior who hasn't played point since high school in charge doesn't show much confidence in the young talent on hand.

And Colorado's run of elite prep talent seems, like that in Northern California, to have flowed to a trickle. (The whole Rick Lopez thing didn't help either ...)

PostPosted: 10/15/05 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"It could be a while before Colorado gets back on track."

I reckon that's a possibility. Clearly, the Big 12 coaches seem to think so.

"Putting a fifth-year senior who hasn't played point since high school in charge doesn't show much confidence in the young talent on hand. "

Given the inordinate amount of unforced turnovers this team coughed up last season, I don't think the move is entirely without merit.

My concern, however, is that Law could struggle if pressed. But it's not as if Escalera will be far away if needed or that she won't be logging minutes whether she starts or not. Given CU's numbers at guard, they're all going to have to see a lot of playing time.

I'm not so concerned about the players having to learn the new system. Most played at least a similar style of play prior to coming to CU and I've little doubt that the team's top talent. Jasmina Ilic, will flourish in the new offense.

Anyway, Nebraska was picked fifth in the coaches poll, and well, CU beat the Huskers in the regular season finale last year. Whoever rises to the top of the North Division will almost surely finish in the top 5 in the B12, While I acknowledge the question marks at guard, I'll take CU's frontcourt over the other team's in the B12 North eight days a week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: