RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal's Boyle, players developing relationships.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 09/07/05 10:44 am    ::: Cal's Boyle, players developing relationships. Reply Reply with quote

http://shesgotgame.blogspot.com/2005/09/cals-boyle-players-developing.html

"It's an exciting time for Boyle, who came to Cal in April after three seasons as coach at Richmond. The Bears feature a five-woman freshman class that is considered one of the best in the country. Devanei Hampton and Alexis Gray-Lawson, the standouts of the class, played all over the country while in high school, so Boyle is familiar with their games. But before Tuesday, she never saw Walker, Morris or Sneed play."

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/02/05 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball Joanne -- Life off the court for UC Berkeley's new women's coach

Quote:
You're religious, do you go to church?

I'm in the process of trying to find one. I've ventured to about four or five of them.

Lead prayers before games?

I say a short prayer in a team huddle in terms of keeping players healthy. I'm not trying to convert them.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/02/CMGM9DDP521.DTL&type=printable[url]

Yet another coach at a public university (like Sylvia Hatchell of UNC) who brings her religion onto the basketball court. Why can't she pray by herself?

KatValeska

PostPosted: 10/02/05 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Basketball Joanne -- Life off the court for UC Berkeley's new women's coach

Quote:
You're religious, do you go to church?

I'm in the process of trying to find one. I've ventured to about four or five of them.

Lead prayers before games?

I say a short prayer in a team huddle in terms of keeping players healthy. I'm not trying to convert them.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/02/CMGM9DDP521.DTL&type=printable[url]

Yet another coach at a public university (like Sylvia Hatchell of UNC) who brings her religion onto the basketball court. Why can't she pray by herself?

Oh please. Being you have no idea what the wording of her prayer is, and that she makes it a point to say she's not trying to convert anyone, I hardly see this as a constitutional emergency.

Gosh dang, I like to think I'm about as liberal as it gets, but I just don't see why that means I can't be respectful of religious persons - meaning those who don't use their beliefs as a club to beat upon others' heads. Sorry, but I think finding an issue with what appeared in that article is misguided at best.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/02/05 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems that freedom of religion often gets confused/replaced with freedom FROM religion.

I'm not thrilled with the trend toward establishing "State Atheism" any more than I'd want a state religion.

Atheism is a belief system too.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/02/05 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, since it's a public university, I guess it would be a better idea if the leading of prayers was left up to the players.

But prayers before and/or after games are very common in wcbb. I bet more often they're led by players than by coaches, but I think that prayers by coaches are probably a lot more common than you realize. (I know that's a perfect punch line for a joke, but I mean it seriously.)

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/02/05 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Well, since it's a public university, I guess it would be a better idea if the leading of prayers was left up to the players.

But prayers before and/or after games are very common in wcbb. I bet more often they're led by players than by coaches, but I think that prayers by coaches are probably a lot more common than you realize. (I know that's a perfect punch line for a joke, but I mean it seriously.)

You're definitely right. This practice is much more common than I realized (and so are are protests against it.) And, to make things more complicated, at the same university two different coaches may handle things very differently.

Quote:
At the University of Georgia, where the football team has its own chaplain, the marriage of religion and sports made headlines last week when athletic officials fired cheerleading coach Marilou Braswell for what they considered "disruptive behavior."

Braswell's termination stemmed from allegations of religious discrimination made against her by Jaclyn Steele, a Jewish cheerleader from Marietta....

UGA sophomore Joseph Lariscy, who played last year on the university's tennis squad, said neither his coach nor his teammates brought religion on the court.

"You know, guys have different faiths, so we didn't really get into that on the team," Lariscy said. "We talked a lot about inner strength and the mental game of tennis."

Lariscy said some of his former UGA teammates celebrated religious holidays together, but the faith-based camaraderie never went beyond that.

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/082904/uga_20040829059.shtml

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/03/05 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A friend emailed me this link this morning:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-brooks1oct01,1,1240960.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer&track=mostemailedlink

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/03/05 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
A friend emailed me this link this morning:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-brooks1oct01,1,1240960.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer&track=mostemailedlink

Thanks for the link, slovydal.

Quote:
From Rosa Brooks article: We shouldn't shy away from the possibility that too much religiosity may be socially dangerous. Secular, rationalist approaches to problem-solving emphasize uncertainty, evidence and perpetual reevaluation. Religious faith is inherently nonrational.

This in itself does not make religion worthless or dangerous. All humans hold nonrational beliefs, and some of these may have both individual and societal value. But historically, societies run into trouble when powerful religions become imperial and absolutist.

I would object if my boss led prayers at work. I think coaches--at publicly funded schools--should not lead their teams in religious observances (prayers, Bible study, etc.).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: