RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tables will turn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 09/24/05 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UW is going to surprise a lot of people this year. They finished the year on a big hot streak and finally have some seniors on the roster again this year. They underclasswomen have a ton of experience due to the injuries the Huskies have suffered over the past couple of seasons. I see them winning 20 plus games and making a decent run in the tourney maybe sweet 16.

John Wooden
cometsfan05

PostPosted: 09/24/05 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

forget I dont have to explain myself to any one I said what I said and I dont care what any one thinks about it ok holla

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time to revive this thread.

Reb, the people who picked Tennessee #1 were picking for last year, not this (upcoming) year. They might have been right if not for the Vols' injuries. Or not.

I think PUMatty is right: Purdue will be very good this year, and it's not homerism coming from me. That rather young team improved a great deal between December and March, and they didn't lose any key performers (Emily Heikes worked hard, but she wasn't a key to the team): I don't think they have the athletes to go all the way, but I think they're a team to watch, and could contend for a Big Ten title (along with preseason favorite Ohio State, possibly Michigan State, and just maybe Minnesota). Michigan State and Wisconsin both have good returning guards and need to find new posts (though Michigan State at least has Shimek returning, and a lot more experience winning big games).

Maryland should do (even) better, too: no major losses to graduation, key post returning from injury, more experience for their starting guards, and another year of Brenda's recruiting. Could they contend for an ACC title? Can Brenda coach defense? This may be the year we find out.

UCLA should be good for the same reason; if Quinn, Blue and Willis stay healthy all year, they're certainly a tournament team, and maybe contenders for the Pac-10 championship (at some point someone other than Stanford has to win it).

LSU will not contend for an SEC title: it may not go to Knoxville, but it won't end up in Baton Rouge. They had no depth last year, and they've lost the player who made the whole thing go. Augustus and Fowles together (especially Fowles) will be enough to beat a lot of teams, though.

Expected collapses: Penn State (couldn't happen to a nicer coach); Liberty (couldn't happen to a nicer college); Baylor (losing Niemann hurts more than losing Blackmon, though they'll still be good); Kansas State (here I hope I'm wrong).

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
UCLA should be good for the same reason; if Quinn, Blue and Willis stay healthy all year, they're certainly a tournament team, and maybe contenders for the Pac-10 championship (at some point someone other than Stanford has to win it).

Kathy Olivier's coaching and lack of inside game is a big impediment to UCLA. I wouldn't rank them top 3 in the Pac-10 (that's Stanford, Arizona State and USC).
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Time to revive this thread.

Reb, the people who picked Tennessee #1 were picking for last year, not this (upcoming) year. They might have been right if not for the Vols' injuries. Or not.

That's cool, but you really don't need to bother with explaining yourself to anyone, according to other posters in this thread, that would be above and beyond the scope of this thread, of course sometimes I probably need to clean out the trash when it gets too deep in here, maybe forced evacuations, then they could refer to themselves as evacuees. Wink

You know I"m not referring to you, I have no doubt Purdue will be tough, I watched their last game last season, you know where it was I'm sure, the final looked bad, but it was a lot tighter than that until very near the end, I certainly wasn't breathing easy until way too late

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Kathy Olivier's coaching and lack of inside game is a big impediment to UCLA. I wouldn't rank them top 3 in the Pac-10 (that's Stanford, Arizona State and USC).

You've seen a lot more Pac-10 ball than I have, and you've been watching it for longer, but is it really the coach, rather than the personnel? UCLA were doing rather well last year till the injuries began.

I don't see any reason UCLA can't go at least as far with their guard-oriented offense as Penn State used to go with theirs. It's not like they have to play against Jessica Davenport or Sylvia Fowles all the time.

But I don't know enough to pick UCLA over USC (nor vice versa).

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/24/05 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
You've seen a lot more Pac-10 ball than I have, and you've been watching it for longer, but is it really the coach, rather than the personnel? UCLA were doing rather well last year till the injuries began.

I don't see any reason UCLA can't go at least as far with their guard-oriented offense as Penn State used to go with theirs. It's not like they have to play against Jessica Davenport or Sylvia Fowles all the time.

But I don't know enough to pick UCLA over USC (nor vice versa).

Noelle Quinn's injury did mess up UCLA's season badly last year but they have generally underachieved under Olivier, for a school with such a good sports pedigree and reputation.

UCLA has the potential to do well and it wouldn't surprise me if they did win the 20 games plus. However, the Pac-10 has improved in the last couple of years and UCLA has questionable depth/coaching. Stanford and Arizona State are certainly above them and I'd rank USC a bit above them because of depth and coaching (remember USC took Michigan State down to the wire in the last NCAAs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: