RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tulane basketball finds a home at Texas Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DblT81

PostPosted: 09/08/05 8:56 am    ::: Tulane basketball finds a home at Texas Tech Reply Reply with quote

Among the stories of those displaced by hurricane Katrina is the determination by Tulane University's Athletic Director that their teams will stay together and compete on behalf of the university.

The Tulane Green Wave women's basketball team has been adopted by Texas Tech. Marsha Sharp is assigning a dressing room at United Spirit Arena on the Tech campus to be their new home for at least a semester. The Tech althetic department is making arrrangements for the Tulane women to play their home games at the US Arena as well as utilize Tech training facilities, dorms, and most importantly, classrooms.

The women's basketball team and top ranked men's baseball team arrived in Lubbock on Wednesday.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/090805/col_090805008.shtml

Quote:
"I told my kids to look at it like you're studying abroad, only you get to play basketball," Tulane women's basketball coach Lisa Stockton said. "We're so appreciative of what the Tech administration is doing for us and how welcome they've made us feel. To be able to work with Marsha Sharp and her program is a great opportunity, and we're very fortunate to be here."

Only a few of Tulane's student-athletes had to be evacuated from the New Orleans campus last week. Most of them were freshmen undergoing orientation, while the upperclassmen waited to return until the beginning of classes.

Still, several of the players who found refuge in Lubbock were affected in some way. Stockton said sophomore Alendra Brown, a native of New Orleans, and her family lost their house.

"I can't begin to tell you all the emotions we've had throughout this ordeal," Stockton said. "There is so much going, but at the same time, I'm happy for our players and the institution that we're going to try and fulfill the athletic season. We are the face of Tulane right now. We've got a lot to live up to."

Now the dedicated Texas Tech Lady Raider fans have a another home team to cheer.

Sass

PostPosted: 09/08/05 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering what would happen to the Tulane teams. That is so very good of Texas Tech to take them in - wow. My hat is off to that school.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
DblT81

PostPosted: 09/09/05 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
I've been wondering what would happen to the Tulane teams. That is so very good of Texas Tech to take them in - wow. My hat is off to that school.

Texas A&M is making the biggest commitment, they are hosting Tulane men's basketball, women's volleyball, women's soccer, swimming and others. SMU and Rice are hosting Tennis and golf.

I believe a story I saw said approximately 70-80 student-athletes are at A&M while Tech will have around 40.

It could have been a death blow to Tulane's collegiate athletics if their athletes had scattered and not played this year. Kudo's to Tulane's administration for holding it together and working to make their athletic teams the face of the University while the University and region recover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: