RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kelly Smith signs four-year deal with Boston Breakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/08/09 6:32 pm    ::: Kelly Smith signs four-year deal with Boston Breakers Reply Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/7877878.stm

Quote:
"I couldn't earn anywhere near to what I'll be getting in the WPS if I stayed in this country," added Smith. "But it's not just about money.

"It's about playing with and against the best players in the world, training every day and everything else that goes with being a professional footballer."

The article also implies that Karen Carney, Alex Scott, Eniola Aluko and Anita Asante (all regular England internationals) are all going to head over to the WPS as well. I expect Smith, Carney and Scott to be successful if they stay fit, but I'm interested to see what US fans think of Asante and Aluko. I've never been convinced by Asante, who I generally think is either a pretty mediocre centre-half or pretty terrible defensive midfielder. Aluko has a good scoring record at club level but never, ever, ever looks like scoring at international level - just not good enough.

So I want to see what a whole new group of people end up thinking of them.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/08/09 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carney signed with Chicago last week. She's a great addition for us! Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/08/09 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the Carney and Scott signings were already reported, but this is the first I'd heard of Asante or Aluko actually agreeing to go. Maybe the coaches talked to the players before the draft and that affected the picks, but I think they've left behind better England players. Fara Williams and Lianne Sanderson are better than Asante and Aluko.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/19/09 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's "official" now.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid9086.aspx

PostPosted: 02/19/09 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Smith is a great leader and a great player...IF she stays healthy which was her issue in WUSA...how old is she anyway...I thought she was mid 20s back in the WUSA days so early or mid 30s?

PostPosted: 02/19/09 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's 30, according to the date of birth I can find. The lack of depth in the women's game means talented players tend to break through really, really young. So it often feels like they've been around for ages when they're really still in their prime.

She's been pretty healthy in recent years, by the way (not that I blame you for being wary, after her issues during the WUSA years).

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 02/25/09 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice, she played for Philadelphia in the Wusa, right?

Well, the Breakers are my team, and she surely will help them.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: