RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

(More) Bad News for Baylor Lady Bears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/23/05 6:46 pm    ::: (More) Bad News for Baylor Lady Bears Reply Reply with quote

Lady Bear's player arrested, kicked off team
Updated: Aug 23, 2005 4:41pm

Baylor Lady Bear Head Coach Kim Mulkey Robertson says Monique Jones, a member of the Baylor Lady Bears National Championship team, has been dismissed from the team after her drug-related arrest early this morning.

According to Waco Police, officers stopped a car on S. 11th St. because it's headlights were off. When police searched the car they say they found marijuana, scales, baggies and a .25 caliber pistol.

The driver, Monique Jones, a 20-year-old Junior guard on the Lady Bears was arrested and charged with Possession of Marijuana and outstanding traffic warrants from the City of Waco and the McLennan County Sheriff's Department.

A passenger in the car, 19-year-old Robert Culberson of Dallas, was arrested and charged with Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon and Possession of marijuana.

At noon, Jones was still being held in the McLennan County jail on $1,000 bond. Culberson was being held on $2,500 bond.

The junior guard was dismissed from the Baylor women's basketball team for violation of team rules, head coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson announced.

"Never in all of my coaching have I had to deal with something like this," the coach said in a statement late Tuesday. "I have a strong policy with our basketball team regarding compromising the integrity our program and the university.

Student-athletes on the Lady Bear basketball team are held to the highest level of accountability and must face the consequences of their actions. In addition, our staff places great pride in our program's reputation and have a zero tolerance policy."

Jones, who hails from Ferrriday, La., saw limited action in her two seasons at Baylor where she averaged 2.2 points, 1.3 rebounds and 9.7 minutes a game. In the Lady Bears' 2004-05 National Championship season, Jones averaged 1.6 points and 0.8 rebounds in 6.6 minutes a game.

Coach Mulkey-Robertson said she would have no further comment on the matter.

http://www.kcentv.com/news/c-article.php?cid=12&nid=13

Sass

PostPosted: 08/23/05 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Way too harsh of a sentence. They're essentially saying it's for pot, since she had traffic offenses before and they didn't do anything about them. It's hard for me to believe Mulkey's never dealt with anything like this before. It's not like collegiate athletes don't party.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
CRASH

PostPosted: 08/23/05 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Way too harsh of a sentence. They're essentially saying it's for pot, since she had traffic offenses before and they didn't do anything about them. It's hard for me to believe Mulkey's never dealt with anything like this before. It's not like collegiate athletes don't party.

Partying is one thing. Being arrested for being with a drug dealer carrying a gun is anouther. If the Pot was for partying then why the scales? Or the gun?

I agree with KMR on this one there is no room for that in sports, at any level!

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/24/05 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's hard for me to believe Mulkey's never dealt with anything like this before. It's not like collegiate athletes don't party.

Looking at KMR's coaching career, I can believe it. Ruston, Louisiana is a town of 20K, with LaTech adding another 9K. That's small enough for an assistant coach like her to keep a close eye on a dozen women student-athletes.

Waco, by contrast, is a city of 110K. Baylor's a dry campus (no alcohol or drugs allowed), a policy which pushes recreational drug use into Waco. Baylor doesn't even allow smoking on campus (I'm with them on that!).

An indicator of local reaction toward Jones' arrest: the Waco Tribune Herald's story is in the "Area Police Report," not than in the Sports section. http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/08/24/20050824waccops.html

Sass

PostPosted: 08/24/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well then I maintain KMR was living with blinders on, cause my ex went to La Tech, and they spared no effort in partying.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
tag3

PostPosted: 08/24/05 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with you, Crash. I'm sick of players enjoying all the perks of being a student athlete while behaving in a way that reflects badly on their program and their school. I'll never be a KMR fan, but I agree with her decision.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/31/05 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor Lariat, August 30, 2005: [Monique] Jones left Baylor immediately after being dismissed. She's transferring to the University of South Alabama where she will play for the Lady Jaguars.

NCAA transfer rules mandate that she has to sit out the entire 2005-2006 season but will still have two years of eligibility left.

Jones was reluctant to comment on her dismissal and is focused on her future.

"Whatever happened at Baylor is Baylor policy," Jones said. "I do not wish to go into any further detail. I will be at South Alabama for the rest of my collegiate career," she said.

http://www.baylor.edu/Lariat/news.php?action=story&story=35416

That the transfer went through so quickly makes me think that KMR must have pulled some strings to help Monique. That's cool.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 09/01/05 2:09 pm    ::: Voepel on KMR: From amazing April to a grueling August Reply Reply with quote

Where would women's basketball be without Mechelle Voepel? As usual, MV gets KMR to talk about all sorts of stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=2148264&num=1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: