RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Women's Gameday: 8/11 vs. China
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/11/08 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

those are pretty much my feelings.....but the offense seemed to bog down in the second half.....i'm still a little worried......

Changed your mind so fast eh? First you admit you are wrong about Coach D and said she has the team playing welll, great, whatever, then mercfan posted she wasn't a good coach, now you changed your opinion saying you agree with her. Then bullsky post and

Quote:
Jaye said: yeah.....i heard that.....not sure i believe it.....they showed plenty in the first half......and the sets we did run....didn't look fluid.... but luuuc.....that 47 had more to do with china than it did with us.... the offense didn't look very smooth.....we were scoring anyway..... but..

47 points is really bogged down.......a score of 108-61, you know China didn't make those points, USA did. Rolling Eyes

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/11/08 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Don't worry -- I wasn't taking it personally!! I'm not a fan of AD at all, but hey, so far, so good. Let's hope the trend keeps going all the way to the gold!!!

I hope it does too, I'm finding it hard to want Australia to win the gold, so I'll cheer for my country an if it's an Australia/USA gold matchup I'll be happy for either, but since this is Coach D's last Olympics I'm going to have to cheer for them. I want her to prove the haters wrong Wink

I feel like I'm an a support group "My name is Lakota, and I'm a Coach D fan!" Laughing

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/11/08 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who ever allows a team of American all-stars to be down three touchdowns to any team on the planet is not a good coach, no matter how well they're doing now.

I can't believe I'm pulling for a Connecticut coach to get the job, but Mike should get it. I think he's good enough, unless we can get the Candy Man to come back. (please...with sugar on top?)

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Although, I think there is a few concerns...biggest one being a halfcourt offense. (Which isn't one of AD's better traits) but the defense looks good enough that the US won't need it..haha..

I'd have to admit, given the last year of the Storm's defense she has to be getting good advice on that, but nothing is wrong with the offense either. unfortunately that part is out of her hands, she only had the team for so long before the start of the games. Many of the teams there have been practicing together for awhile, so for the time she had with the players I think she is doing a good job.

Like you I hope it continues, because the really hard teams have yet to play us.

mikey87

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand lol, why would we continue going @ China like we did in the first half when the game was over already lol. 47 points is damn good. I guess some folks will NEVER be happy. oh well... Rolling Eyes

PS: I know one thing, we have been the best team so far... USA Cool

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't be happy w/ either. It's USA of bust!!! I personally don't care much for the Aussie team (sorry, Aussie Rebkellians) but I won't be happy w/ anything but the gold. I'm not as nice as you Laughing Laughing

LakotaStorm wrote:

I hope it does too, I'm finding it hard to want Australia to win the gold, so I'll cheer for my country an if it's an Australia/USA gold matchup I'll be happy for either, but since this is Coach D's last Olympics I'm going to have to cheer for them. I want her to prove the haters wrong Wink

I feel like I'm an a support group "My name is Lakota, and I'm a Coach D fan!" Laughing

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
I won't be happy w/ either. It's USA of bust!!! I personally don't care much for the Aussie team (sorry, Aussie Rebkellians) but I won't be happy w/ anything but the gold. I'm not as nice as you Laughing Laughing

Nothing to be sorry for there, K.
Very few things puzzle me as much as American fans hoping the Opals or the Russians get the gold.
I may not always agree with the players selected, or the coaches, or the tactics used, or whatever other many things there are to be critical of, but I'm damn sure not hoping any other team beats us!

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Very few things puzzle me as much as American fans hoping the Opals or the Russians get the gold.
I may not always agree with the players selected, or the coaches, or the tactics used, or whatever other many things there are to be critical of, but I'm damn sure not hoping any other team beats us!

I usually don't...

but even though I like the men....if it happens..I'll root for Manu over them..

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Luuuc!!! And we certainly don't agree with the outfit the Aussie coach wore today Wink

Luuuc wrote:

PostPosted: 08/11/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I usually don't...

but even though I like the men....if it happens..I'll root for Manu over them..

OK, the men's team I can understand. They're arrogant enough for even their own home fans to dislike. Razz

I was on board with the whole redeem team thing, but when D-Wade did that show-off dunk on us where he kicked the ball into the crowd, and then didn't shake hands with us after the game, my opinion soured again.

KeiraNY wrote:
Thanks Luuuc!!! And we certainly don't agree with the outfit the Aussie coach wore today Wink

ENOUGH!! PLEASE!! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/11/08 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
OK, the men's team I can understand. They're arrogant enough for even their own home fans to dislike. Razz

I was on board with the whole redeem team thing, but when D-Wade did that show-off dunk on us where he kicked the ball into the crowd, and then didn't shake hands with us after the game, my opinion soured again.

For the most part, they've been very likeable, and humble, and "about the team." Sometimes they forget when they are playing though....but that's natural..that's the way those guys play.

But I just like Manu.. Wink

PostPosted: 08/11/08 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Same here. I can't conceive of supporting a different country in a sport where my own is taking part. I may think the coach/manager is an idiot, the team picked is completely wrong, all the players may play at club level for the rivals of the team I support, all of them might actually be naturalised Germans - still not going to be supporting anyone else.

Every time a World Cup (or something similar) rolls around, Americans I know ask me something along the lines of "So you're supporting England, right?" No one over here would even think of asking the same question, because it wouldn't even be a choice. It's just something that is.

I think a large part of it is that outside of the Olympics, international competition isn't something that the US regularly takes part in and pays much attention to. We're playing international soccer matches constantly; basketball fans actually care about EuroBasket and the World Championships; rugby and cricket internationals are near-constant; and so on and so on. In the US, NFL, MLB and NBA are the be all and end all. International competition isn't even something that people think about most of the time.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/12/08 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel ya, guys. I can't fathom ever rooting for someone besides the US, but then again most would call people like me "old fashioned." Rolling Eyes Oh well. My loyalty is with the red, white, and blue and always will be. And I respect you guys even more for cheering on your respect countries.

PostPosted: 08/12/08 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:
Don't worry -- I wasn't taking it personally!! I'm not a fan of AD at all, but hey, so far, so good. Let's hope the trend keeps going all the way to the gold!!!

Talk about changing their minds fast. You were for Australia before.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Sass

PostPosted: 08/12/08 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Damn skippy, Luuuc. And if you as an Australian can feel that way, that says a lot.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
braveniler58

PostPosted: 08/12/08 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, I'm absolutely 100% rooting on the US to win gold! If, by any chance, they don't -- then I do hope Australia is the one who gets it, because of Penny of course Twisted Evil

But, yeah. U.S. all the way.

PostPosted: 08/12/08 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
jaye wrote:

those are pretty much my feelings.....but the offense seemed to bog down in the second half.....i'm still a little worried......

Changed your mind so fast eh? First you admit you are wrong about Coach D and said she has the team playing welll, great, whatever, then mercfan posted she wasn't a good coach, now you changed your opinion saying you agree with her. Then bullsky post and

Quote:
Jaye said: yeah.....i heard that.....not sure i believe it.....they showed plenty in the first half......and the sets we did run....didn't look fluid.... but luuuc.....that 47 had more to do with china than it did with us.... the offense didn't look very smooth.....we were scoring anyway..... but..

47 points is really bogged down.......a score of 108-61, you know China didn't make those points, USA did. Rolling Eyes

give it a rest..... i'm a grown man and capable of making up my own mind.....i didn't change anything.....and i never said that i'd changed my mind about donovan......i thought she had the team playing with great intensity....it's no secret that i'm not her biggest fan....but i gave her props anyway....but i also agreed with mercfan.....

i thought they looked a little disjointed in the second.....a talented team even tho their plays are broken.....and even tho their offense isn't running smoothly.....against a team that they are that much better than....can still score.....china plays no defense at all......against a team other than china.....that worries me a little.....

i'll tell you what baffles me tho....why i'm wasting my time trying to convince you of my sincerity.....or my character.....geeeze ....luuuc attacked the opinion.....i can respect that.....attacking people....and their character.....that's petty....and to be truthful.....not what i would have expected of you.....

PostPosted: 08/12/08 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:

I'm in.

I realize there is a difference of opinion on what makes a "good" coach. Lauren Jackson once said (as quoted by Jayda Evans) that AD was the best coach she had ever played for. According to Evans in the book she wrote about the Storm's championship season, AD invested a lot of time in Jackson. Obviously problems developed later - but I don't know how someone can advance to the level AD has reached if they're not "good".

So far I'm very optimistic about Team USA's chances for gold. The loss at the 2006 Worlds is a big sore spot for a lot of people, and I think for those folks there is nothing Anne can do to ever change their opinion.

So far, I think that the people who keep saying Anne can't do it, and Kara Lawson has no place on Team USA, are talking out of turn.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/12/08 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:
So far, I think that the people who keep saying Anne can't do it, and Kara Lawson has no place on Team USA, are talking out of turn.

Kara has been excellent so far. I'd be surprised if anyone denied that.
She has definitely found her role on the team, and I've been impressed so far.

PostPosted: 08/12/08 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think AD came to understand that she was going to have to be at the very top of her game to coach this team to Gold. She knows she is being given the best players available (define that how you will), and she has got to stay ahead of them if she is going to lead them.

I also think she understands that she and the assistants are also a team, and she will be wise to help them grow, and utilize them to the utmost.

All the parties are committed to this goal. They have all bought in, and now they just have to apply themselves to the ebb and flow of the process of winning every game. Just as in life, there will be unexpected events in time and space. But I believe they have the problem solvers to figure it out within the 40 minute time limit, and come to a successful conclusion for the team.

And yes, Kara Lawson is a member of that team, and has made her place. The variety of their talents makes them, as a team, very difficult to match up with. If an opposing team has the answer to one set of Team USA's strenths, they can go to the bench and create a completely different set of headaches.

That is where I am afraid Oz will fall short, after seeing them play Brazil. Brazil was missing two very talented players, and were still able to stay on the floor with the Opals. Point being...if you want to beat the Opals, just get one of the front three in foul trouble so they will have to sit on the bench...that is the only place LJ, PT, and Batgirl can't hurt you.

This is what we have been waiting for...so let's enjoy it, come what may.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: