RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA women are no sure thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/15/08 8:26 am    ::: Team USA women are no sure thing. Reply Reply with quote

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/SPT/807150362

Quote:
"Looking back at the world championship our loss has stuck with everyone," Bird said. "I think we have a lot to prove." Taurasi agreed. "It definitely made us mad," she said with a smile. "We're the underdogs as Australia is the world champions, and they have all the pressure on them." Donovan hopes the team's hunger for a medal helps them focus and get past the difficult training schedule.

jaye

PostPosted: 07/15/08 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

especially with donovan at the helm......

PostPosted: 07/15/08 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

XXXX__________________________________________

PostPosted: 07/15/08 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

I don't know which topic gets more whining. Donovan coaching or people who think Hammon should be supported.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/15/08 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
jaye wrote:

I don't know which topic gets more whining. Donovan coaching or people who think Hammon should be supported.

Let's ask if Phil ("This is a nation of whiners!") Gramm thinks which one of those topics attract more whiners. Razz

bballinmysoul

PostPosted: 07/15/08 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, the USA is not a sure thing to win the gold. Yes the rest of the world has gotten better, but the rest of the world thinks the time to take down the USA is now while they're transitioning in new players. They know that if the USA does win gold this time, it will be a long time before they lose again because of the abilities of the players we'll have in future years.

I remember reading a comment Lauren Jackson made before the 2006 world championships began where she stated something to the effect that the time to get the USA was now while they're transitioning because what's coming down the pike for the USA was so athletically superior.

We must though play as a team on both ends of the court, and the lack of preparation time could cost us. I believe though that the loss in the last world championship will provide plenty of motivation to win the gold.

Angus24

PostPosted: 07/16/08 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olympics is a tough schedule. Game every other day for two weeks. Teams making it to the final will be in their 8th game. I'm wondering if some of those older vets will run out of gas. Coaches better use their benches wisely or they may be in big trouble before its over. Don't know the ages of players on other teams but I think Team USA has at least 3 that are 35 or older. So strong bench may be key to success. US is lucky, they will not face either Australia or Russia until the semifinals if everything goes as it should (no upsets0.

CB

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the pressure is still on USA, not Australia.

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comments regarding the quality of players for 2012 and beyond are right on point. The 2012 Team will be a monster, playing time together or not.

Frankly, Team USA does not have any slouches on it...just a little roughed up. Hopefully the ladies understand the task at hand, and will find ways to win, despite their various issues.

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA should be alright. Their "young" players (i.e., Candace Parker, Sylvia Fowles, Seimone Augustus, Cappie Pondexter and Kara Lawson) all have international experience at some level. Candace played for the team as a college sophomore when they lost the 2006 world championships. Ya know she wants to make a statement, along with the other veterans who were part of that bronze medal team - especially everybody's favorite Ms. Courtesy, Diana Taurasi. Laughing

Last edited by jap on 07/16/08 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 07/16/08 6:57 pm    ::: Olympics 2008 Reply Reply with quote

The USA is not the favorite. They are the heavy favorite. Russia, not Australia, has the best chance to beat the USA, but we have sent the Russians the "Trojan Horse of the 2008 Olympics."

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/08 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Way to put a positive spin on it. Nice work.

PostPosted: 07/16/08 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
jaye wrote:

Or which topic I am sick of hearing about the most. They lose as a team, along with the coach, and they win as a team, as well as the coach. All have a hand in the loss. Talk about giving up before they have even played the first game. Rolling Eyes

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: