RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/29/04 6:45 pm    ::: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

55-34 2nd half 8:55 to go

(collegesports.com gametracker)

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 6:57 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
55-34 2nd half 8:55 to go

(collegesports.com gametracker)

Hell, it could be worse, I've never seen an offense as pathetic as Tennessee has, it showed some signs of life for a few games, but it's back in the crapper, Rutgers is playing good ball, but Tenn is absolutely pathetic on the Offensive end ... this is the worst Pat Summitt team I've ever seen, considering the talent level, it's a disgrace.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:06 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

I love Rutgers and their scrappiness. Not a fan of CVS' dubious offense but no one's perfect.
Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:07 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

I feel bad for them. Tennessee was the first Women's College team I ever watched. (1996) I always want them to do well. I know Pat relies on defense creating scoring opportunities, but but from what I hear - they haven't been able to do anything with that opportunity this season.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:20 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I feel bad for them. Tennessee was the first Women's College team I ever watched. (1996) I always want them to do well. I know Pat relies on defense creating scoring opportunities, but but from what I hear - they haven't been able to do anything with that opportunity this season.

I get pretty miffed, when I watch Zolman, probably one of the best pure shooters anywhere, not even get some shots, she has to create her own shot, which is not her game, but instead of setting her up, we just file her in the can't beat her man dept, and try somebody more athletic...

Another thing that perturbs me so much, is the offenses Summitt tries to run, they are too complicated, and are designed for an overly athletic team, we have about half and half, we have solid smart players and we have the athletes, personally I don't think we can run that offense with the players we have, at least not with any of the combinations I see on the floor, it gets very old, I saw it in the Temple game, it was atrocious, it looked like this effort tonight, it's supposed to be some type of motion, but it is too packed in, it's nearly impossible to make passes, they have to be so perfect and through the defense to amount to anything, Rutgers was way too quick to let that happen, and we just stand around on the boards for half the game.

I'm very disappointed with our post play, the post players love the new coach, but his results to date are pathetic, and pathetic is an overly nice description.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:22 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I know Pat relies on defense creating scoring opportunities

I thought that was a codeword for "we don't have a half-court offense". Of course the LVs are just so talented that they can outrun and outgun most teams but I think this is what has prevented them from getting over the hump since the days of Claw.

However with Parker, they may get the offensive focus they need.
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:28 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee getting THUMPED by Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
I know Pat relies on defense creating scoring opportunities

I thought that was a codeword for "we don't have a half-court offense". Of course the LVs are just so talented that they can outrun and outgun most teams but I think this is what has prevented them from getting over the hump since the days of Claw.

However with Parker, they may get the offensive focus they need.

I guess I just think Pat needs to start coaching what she's got and quit trying to turn them into what she wants everybody to be, I just think she wastes too much time trying to perfect that defense, you still gotta put it in the hole, everybody has off games, but we will have an off game offensively every time we play any good defensive outfit, especially anything that resembles the quickness of Rutgers, Georgia could kill them, I don't know, maybe the plan is to condition everybody to the peak of fitness and overcome everything with honed athletes?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta laugh; you Vols fans are disappointed? YOu should have seen UConn play tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Gotta laugh; you Vols fans are disappointed? YOu should have seen UConn play tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

UConn/Tennessee - first to 50 wins?
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I did, I watched the webcast, I enjoyed it, anything after that uninspired performance we put on ... hey, it looked to me like UConn got shots, they just weren't falling, of course they did settle for too many outside shots I guess, but you had a clue about what you wanted to do, it just wasn't happening, I've never figured out what Tenn is trying to accomplish on the O end.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAY too many rushed shots, no patience, no moving the ball, no attempts to get Strother off after the first 5 minutes, no hustle getting back on defense, no hustle to contest 3 pointers.

Wolf can't hit, Thomas can't hit, Houston got buried for not hustling, BT can't do it alone, Jessica Moore is a shell of what she was, Ann throws too many low passes that are tipped, Battle still plays out of control and now is chucking 3s up too. Thank G-d for Will!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
WAY too many rushed shots, no patience, no moving the ball, no attempts to get Strother off after the first 5 minutes, no hustle getting back on defense, no hustle to contest 3 pointers.

Wolf can't hit, Thomas can't hit, Houston got buried for not hustling, BT can't do it alone, Jessica Moore is a shell of what she was, Ann throws too many low passes that are tipped, Battle still plays out of control and now is chucking 3s up too. Thank G-d for Will!

Yeah, we both suck, bottom line .... way too much talent on Tenn side to play the way we did tonight, I don't mind getting beat, but man you gotta give more effort, mainly we have to put forth a ton of effort, because we subscribe to the will the basket in the hole offense or hope somebody can do some magic one on one...

We got killed on the boards, don't know what the final tally was, it probably wasn't horrible, but all of the good stuff we did, came after the game was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/29/04 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds ugly. I didn't get home 'til late and then had to deal with the evil doings of a certain 9 year old from throughout the day.

Didn't get to sit down until UConn had already started. I'm going to go relax. At least I picked MSU in the challenge! 'Course I took UT also.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
We got killed on the boards, don't know what the final tally was, it probably wasn't horrible, but all of the good stuff we did, came after the game was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

I think Tennessee outrebounded Rutgers 38-35. Rutgers has that four guard thing going though so the margin should have been much higher Shocked
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point in time, I'm not sure if UConn and Tennesse are Top 15 teams. Tennessee has impressive wins (TCU, DePaul, & Stanford), but they do have three losses, with two being at home (Texas & Duke). UConn hasn't beaten anyone of significance (Holy Cross, Buffalo, George Mason, Colorado State, Hartford, & South Florida [who forced us into overtime]...such scary teams Rolling Eyes ), and got killed at home by #10 Michigan St. by 16 points, lost to then #12 UNC, and then unranked ASU.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
At this point in time, I'm not sure if UConn and Tennesse are Top 15 teams. Tennessee has impressive wins (TCU, DePaul, & Stanford), but they do have three losses, with two being at home (Texas & Duke). UConn hasn't beaten anyone of significance (Holy Cross, Buffalo, George Mason, Colorado State, Hartford, & South Florida [who forced us into overtime]...such scary teams Rolling Eyes ), and got killed at home by #10 Michigan St. by 16 points, lost to then #12 UNC, and then unranked ASU.

Hell, we're starting to hurt our opponents RPI at this stage of the game.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Hell, we're starting to hurt our opponents RPI at this stage of the game.

Pretty soon, no one is going to want to play us.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/30/04 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, when you consider the talent on both UT and UConn, I still wouldn't want to face either team in March/April.

I still have a feeling that things will click for both teams. This current success (or lack thereof) makes me realize finally how amazing it was that Taurasi took the team with BT and Strother as freshmen to the championship.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/02/05 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Just one minor correction...Tn lost to Texas at Texas...

Grumps

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/02/05 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:
At this point in time, I'm not sure if UConn and Tennesse are Top 15 teams. Tennessee has impressive wins (TCU, DePaul, & Stanford), but they do have three losses, with one being at home (Texas & Duke). UConn hasn't beaten anyone of significance (Holy Cross, Buffalo, George Mason, Colorado State, Hartford, & South Florida [who forced us into overtime]...such scary teams Rolling Eyes ), and got killed at home by #10 Michigan St. by 16 points, lost to then #12 UNC, and then unranked ASU.

Just one minor correction...Tn lost to Texas at Texas...

Grumps

Thanks for the correction. Whenever I'm upset, I tend to mess up facts. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: