RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sparks Win! Sparks Win!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:40 am    ::: Sparks Win! Sparks Win! Reply Reply with quote

1-0! Very Happy The Farmington CT 3rd grade version of the Sparks got their season off with a bang with a 20-18 victory, when the coach's daughter Dani went coast to coast to hit a buzzer beating jumper from the left baseline to win it! Shocked

The Monarchs had tied the score with 6 seconds to go Mad before Dani took the inbounds pass and when the length of the court to score the last of her team high 14 points.

After the game, the players were unavailable for comment as their moms and dads took them out for dinner.

mb

PostPosted: 12/12/04 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats coach, and tell the star "well done".

It will be up to her to get her teammates more involved as the season progresses. Hope the other players and their parents understand she has talent and it is not favoritism. Judging by your desire to make them understand all aspects of the game, and have fun win or lose, it likely will not be an issue at all.

As suggested on the ESPN board, encourage them to have their parents rent and watch the following two movies with them:

Hoosiers and The Pistol: The Pete Maravich Story.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/12/04 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb wrote:

It will be up to her to get her teammates more involved as the season progresses. Hope the other players and their parents understand she has talent and it is not favoritism. Judging by your desire to make them understand all aspects of the game, and have fun win or lose, it likely will not be an issue at all.

As suggested on the ESPN board, encourage them to have their parents rent and watch the following two movies with them:

mb, we only had 9 yesterday, so she played a little more than normal. She's only going to be able to play half a game normally. Couple of her hoops were putbacks, so she did a good job with the garbage points. In fact, I think she only took like 9-10 shots during the game.

You're right though, I did tell her that next week, when we play a MUCH better team (read, we're going to probably get smoked), she will be just as important NOT scoring, but shutting down the other team's best player (her best friend) defensively.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:15 pm    ::: go sparks! Reply Reply with quote

Now that's a Sparks win I can get excited about! Smile

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/12/04 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
mb wrote:

mb, we only had 9 yesterday, so she played a little more than normal. She's only going to be able to play half a game normally. Couple of her hoops were putbacks, so she did a good job with the garbage points. In fact, I think she only took like 9-10 shots during the game.

You're right though, I did tell her that next week, when we play a MUCH better team (read, we're going to probably get smoked), she will be just as important NOT scoring, but shutting down the other team's best player (her best friend) defensively.

Oh please, no more Defense, if I sit through another half like the Tennessee/Depaul first half, I may be like that woman in Airplane, they'll find me just hanging from the rafters... and to top it off, they wouldn't let cameras in the building today, I haven't been taking one, but my buddy that I goto the ball games with, bought a nice one and was getting pretty good with it, and they just flat said no at the door today.

Funny thing, they always announce on the PA, no flash bulbs, yada yada, today no mention of it, but just to top it off and and to really get your dander up, there were flash bulbs going off everywhere, just like a normal game...

Don't know what the deal was with the cameras or those specific entrances, but he didn't get any explanation, other than, you can't bring it in the building, period.

The moral of the story, take all the pictures you can, offense sells, good defense get cameras banned.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/13/04 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's really weird, Reb. It's not like a world tour, every game is a different one. That takes away from the game experience, that's for sure.

DTS, don't let Dani become a ballhog. It happens when we are really young and get too much attention from coaches and "fans" (parents) (even though I was a volleyball player at 9).
It was all about me because everybody else wasn't good enough. My then coach made me understand the value of team play.
Very valuable lesson in team sports, you know Wink

PostPosted: 12/13/04 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, coach...can we expect some game photos soon?

8^)

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/13/04 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
So, coach...can we expect some game photos soon?

8^)

Not this one, I was busy. I'll get someone else to shoot future games.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/13/04 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="rebkell]Oh please, no more Defense, if I sit through another half like the Tennessee/Depaul first half, I may be like that woman in Airplane, they'll find me just hanging from the rafters.[/quote]

Reb, 3rd graders....defense is a relative term! Laughing

Defense here is usually don't let your player go by you while you fix your ponytail! Of course my opponent this past week was setting picks like an offensive lineman, including the leading the ball carrier up field!

I have one budding Lisa Leslie on my Sparks...I had to tell her to go take the hoops out of her ears prior to the game.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/13/04 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
rebkell wrote:
Oh please, no more Defense, if I sit through another half like the Tennessee/Depaul first half, I may be like that woman in Airplane, they'll find me just hanging from the rafters.

Reb, 3rd graders....defense is a relative term! Laughing

Defense here is usually don't let your player go by you while you fix your ponytail! Of course my opponent this past week was setting picks like an offensive lineman, including the leading the ball carrier up field!

I have one budding Lisa Leslie on my Sparks...I had to tell her to go take the hoops out of her ears prior to the game.

The old End around play huh, moving picks are better than no picks at all I guess. Wink

I'm thinking we need to mic you like Pat, and follow you in the dressing room, as you rake the young ladies over the coals, challenge them to be the best, hit the boards and lets' go, at least if you follow Pat's lead, you can be recorded, with Geno, we'd need a minute to decipher some of the obscenities, and determime how many people we've offended per minute. Wink

Maybe you could use the Andy Landers technique, yank them glasses off and stomp that foot and holler 'BullShit, that's just BullShit ... it's all about motivation ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: