RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Snell giving Mercury a good shot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:57 pm    ::: Snell giving Mercury a good shot Reply Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0507mercury0507.html
wadethered

PostPosted: 05/08/05 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"You're looking at perimeter with Penny, Diana and Belinda," said Sulka

Now that is a very interesting statement...are they still shopping DeForge?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/08/05 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a very unusual omission, isn't it.
There had better be something pretty darn special on the table before we even think about breaking up our great backcourt combination.
Probably nothing more than a slip-up though.

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*tries to snake charm SFO into doing the DeForge for Cheryl Ford trade*

It was an interesting omission. I don't expect any changes in the short term but maybe it shows a bit of Seth's longer term thinking.
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Seth has said that P-Money & The Diana are off the trading block unless for Lauren, so I think that leaves Anna. She has been shopped around before, and if she's impressive again this season, I wouldn't be surprised if she is shopped around again.

NancyAmazon

PostPosted: 05/09/05 12:19 am    ::: Re: Snell giving Mercury a good shot Reply Reply with quote

Nice article though. I like how it isn't condescending about her achievements in the WNBL. I'm tired of those articles I've read talking about Snelly's 54 points in Australia so it sounds like "so what, anyone can do that in Australia". Nice.

Nancy

CRASH

PostPosted: 05/09/05 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Keegan"]*tries to snake charm SFO into doing the DeForge for Cheryl Ford trade*

If I were Seth, having a back court of D, Taylor, and now Snell, you could afford to trade someone of DeForges caliber. Ford gives you a young banger. Which Vodichkova isn't, I'd do this trade all day!!!

If I were SFO I'd think about it seriously!! With DEeForge you get a person who has the ability, not nessasarily the size, to play everything from the one to the three. A proven scorer on the out side, to me, would be a good thing! And one less big, even at Fords talent, isn't losing that much, for Detriot - Faris, Riley, Cash, Braxton.

To me, this is a win/win - why not?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/05 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of the Detroit fans remember DeForge's first run there and will be hostile towards her return. It will also bring the stories about the situation regarding her departure from the Shock, which the league does not want or need.

Phoenix will want to see if Snell can play at this level and have some assurance that she won't take off every World Championship/Olympic season. Detroit will want to see if Braxton can get in shape and not flake out. Neither is in a position to do this deal right now.

Phoenix will have to throw in some more to make it a fair trade.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/09/05 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phoenix will want to see if Snell can play at this level

Exactly. The deal would likely improve both teams in the long run, but I can't see Phoenix pulling the trigger on it at this stage because Snell hasn't proven anything at the WNBA level yet.
There's a BIG difference between scoring points against the Perth Lynx and scoring them against the Sparks.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess would be that if she continues to fulfill her potential, Cheryl Ford fits Detroit's definition of 'untradeable'.

IMO, few players in this league match up favorably with Cheryl Ford.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, well, there's that factor as well I guess Smile

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the reporter most likely "wrote" the quote and Seth didn't really leave Anna out of the mix.
SFO could confirm this but I believe he turned down the Anna+ for Cheryl trade.

SFO

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There never was any trade talk about Cheryl with Phx or any other team. Suspect Nancy floated that one.

caune

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
There never was any trade talk about Cheryl with Phx or any other team. Suspect Nancy floated that one.

hmm, Nancy wasn't at Majerles when the brigade discussed this idea, but maybe she has the room bugged Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just don't see DeForge returning to the "scene of the crime". The Merc might trade her, but it seems to me that she would be persona non grata in Detroit.

On a more basic level, the idea that SFO would trade an All-Star for someone that probably wouldn't even start for the Shock is wishful thinking on the Brigade's part.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What does Nancy have to do with anything? We were discussing the idea last year at post-match Brigade functions, nothing more and nothing less.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
What does Nancy have to do with anything? We were discussing the idea last year at post-match Brigade functions, nothing more and nothing less.

Oh my! After we thought the waitresses were just being friendly and tolerating MB's persistant advances, they were actually spies sent in by Nancy to infiltrate the Brigade!!!

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Oh my! After we thought the waitresses were just being friendly and tolerating MB's persistant advances, they were actually spies sent in by Nancy to infiltrate the Brigade!!!

"Nancy's Angels"

*gags*
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm one who would not mind at all if Anna were to be traded. To whom and for whom....I haven't a clue but I still would love to see it happen. She's a streak shooter and when she's on, well, WOW. But......when she's not on, which is about 60% of the time.....YIKES. My sincere belief is that if you took her shots and split them between PT and Snell (and also gave some of them to a post player), you'd get a much higher overall percentage and much better balance.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we can see if we can get Penny to take pictures while Keegan and I jump up and down screaming, "Nancy's fired! Nancy's fired!"

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm one who would not mind at all if Anna were to be traded. To whom and for whom....I haven't a clue but I still would love to see it happen. She's a streak shooter and when she's on, well, WOW. But......when she's not on, which is about 60% of the time.....YIKES

I have always advocated trading Anna for a post...not for the reasons you state. DeForge averaged 14.4 points per game while shooting 41 percent overall, 38.7 percent from three. Close to half her shot attempts were threes. She has added a pull-up mid-range jumper. Plus, her ballhandling and rebounding were invaluable last year.

When Anna was not on, she contributed in other categories statistically. But she was most certainly on more than 40 percent of the time, as you indicate.

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/anna_deforge/game_by_game_stats.html

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/09/05 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
I'm one who would not mind at all if Anna were to be traded. To whom and for whom....I haven't a clue but I still would love to see it happen. She's a streak shooter and when she's on, well, WOW. But......when she's not on, which is about 60% of the time.....YIKES

I have always advocated trading Anna for a post...not for the reasons you state. DeForge averaged 14.4 points per game while shooting 41 percent overall, 38.7 percent from three. Close to half her shot attempts were threes. She has added a pull-up mid-range jumper. Plus, her ballhandling and rebounding were invaluable last year.

When Anna was not on, she contributed in other categories statistically. But she was most certainly on more than 40 percent of the time, as you indicate.

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/anna_deforge/game_by_game_stats.html

My bad....I failed to acknowledge her rebounding which was fantastic from the guard position as was DT's too. I considered her ballhandling to be adequate at best...nothing that stuck out and grabbed my attention though.

I came up with 60/40 based on what I was able to see and follow via the net.....you SAW a hell of a lot more than that so I'll get on board with your assesment that she was on her game more than 40%. There is still something about her game that makes me an incredibly nervous fan though. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: