RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Donovan to coach Knicks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/07/05 6:35 am    ::: Donovan to coach Knicks? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/sports/basketball/07rhoden.html?

Thomas said he was open to the idea, and Donovan, who, like Thomas, is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, said she would listen.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't it make more sense to pose the question to Suzie McConnell Serio, the 2004 Coach of the Year?

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:43 am    ::: Hey why not Reply Reply with quote

Nobody else in New York seems to be doing the job right. Maybe they should ask Pat Summitt also. She is probably the most qualifed women's coach in America.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

therese_defarge wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to pose the question to Suzie McConnell Serio, the 2004 Coach of the Year?

Perhaps they would rather have a coach that's actually won a pro title.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
therese_defarge wrote:

Perhaps they would rather have a coach that's actually won a pro title.

That ignores all the other factors that go into winning a pro title, for example lack of injuries, successive no.1 draft picks in previous years, an erratic, unmanageable player having a fluke year and good decisions having been made by previous managers/coaches. Surely it is much easier to go with the WNBA's COY.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd go with Donovan in a heartbeat given the choice between those two.
Don't you think that maybe the 'fluke' year by Betty was partly due to AD?
Also, it's not like she didn't have to contend with injuries of her own. Injuries affected her two best players, and they still won the title, breezing past SMS's team in the process.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

therese_defarge wrote:

That ignores all the other factors that go into winning a pro title, for example lack of injuries, successive no.1 draft picks in previous years, an erratic, unmanageable player having a fluke year and good decisions having been made by previous managers/coaches.

The Knicks need someone who has experience dealing with erratic, unmanageable players.

Donovan took the Charlotte to the finals without successive #1 picks, fluke years by players, or good decisions made by previous Sting coaches/managers.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ironically, for all the heat he's taken Marbury's probably the first guy on the Knicks that would step up and be receptive to a female coach.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/07/05 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd be great for it to happen - even if only to hear some of the trash-talking directed at the Knicks players Wink

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. That'd be awesome if she got the job. One question though: Who would coach the Storm?

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there's any need to worry. Donovan's not going to get the job. Like Rhoden said, Zeke needs to worry about saving himself not making history.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
I don't think there's any need to worry. Donovan's not going to get the job. Like Rhoden said, Zeke needs to worry about saving himself not making history.

Why can't he do both?

Donovan is a likely candidate for first woman to coach an NBA team, if for no other reason than because she's very tall. Someone like little SMS would look like they were out of their element because even the guards would be 6 inches taller than her. That perception would doom her before she even got started. If Donovan wears moderate heels she'd be as tall or taller than any of the Knicks besides Sundov (and since he's always sitting even that wouldn't matter). She would look the part. That shouldn't make a difference, but we all know better.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Why can't he do both?

Who said he can't? He won't. There aren't many people in the NBA who think like Zeke, including his boss, the media and arguably the vast majority of Knicks fans. Hiring Donovan would seem like a publicity stunt no matter how good his intentions may be. Given the choice between hiring Phil, Flip, PJ or Mo thus saving his job by pacifying the city or hiring a woman to coach in the biggest market, full of fans who have no patience, I think Zeke's inclined to save his job.

Do we really want Donovan or any other woman to coach a team that is destined to fail anyway, especially a woman from the WNBA? When the Knicks don't make the playoffs again because of their roster the blame won't be placed on their bloated cap or their meddling owner. It will be the woman's fault and the WNBA will continue to be a joke. Zeke will find another job yet it would take another hundred years before another woman got a shot. It would be different if coaching were the cure to the Knicks' problem. There's not a coach on the planet that could win with that team. Plus Michael Cooper's stint didn't exactly say what it needed to the NBA about the quality of WNBA coaches in order to get the billionaire boys club to open any doors.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/07/05 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just found it awesome that it's even mentioned as possibility, let alone a possibility in the nation's biggest, richest media market.
But as FBC said, I don't wish the Knicks on anyone. Well, I do wish them on SFO...Come to the dark side, Young Anakin Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/07/05 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another thing is the NY media. To be mentioned in such a positive light by the NY Times is great, but unfortunately, the NY Times and other decent papers like The Newsday are outnumbered. To endure the goofy headlines on the Post and Daily News, now that's a huge barrier...

PostPosted: 05/07/05 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't dig the way that coaching men is still seen as a step up from coaching women.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/07/05 4:41 pm    ::: Re: Donovan to coach Knicks? Reply Reply with quote

The only one that I don't like on the Knicks is Marbury, he has never been a favorite of mine (before joining Knicks).

therese_defarge

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Don't you think that maybe the 'fluke' year by Betty was partly due to AD?

Whoops. I do wish I hadn't said that about Betty. In my part of the world we call that an 'own goal'.

Even though I think Suzie is a brilliant coach, it might be best if I admit ignominious defeat and slink quietly back into my wine shop.

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd pick SMS over AD too, therese, based not only on a 180 degree Lynx turnaround in her short tenure, but her team's performance last season competing with three rookies in important roles.

Glad to see ADs name being mentioned in connection with NY, but names being mentioned don't mean much unless some mens' team GM has the chutzpah to make the hire. But its a start.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
I'd pick SMS over AD too, therese, based not only on a 180 degree Lynx turnaround in her short tenure, but her team's performance last season competing with three rookies in important roles.

Glad to see ADs name being mentioned in connection with NY, but names being mentioned don't mean much unless some mens' team GM has the chutzpah to make the hire. But its a start.

SMS may be a better coach, and I'm not sure she is, but AD brings the hall of fame credential, plus the international exposure, plus the WNBA title, and the claim to being one of the best players ever. We've seen (unfortunately in many cases) how far that carries a reputation, and the first woman coach would need to have that kind of "peer" respect from the players IMO. SMS had an all star career, but not like AD's.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

SMS may be a better coach, and I'm not sure she is, but AD brings the hall of fame credential, plus the international exposure, plus the WNBA title, and the claim to being one of the best players ever. We've seen (unfortunately in many cases) how far that carries a reputation, and the first woman coach would need to have that kind of "peer" respect from the players IMO. SMS had an all star career, but not like AD's.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/08/05 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At 6-8, Donovan is the same height as most of the Knicks' frontcourt players...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: