Sky
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Lynx
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/24 12:10 pm    ::: Sky @ Lynx - 5/03/24 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Preseason
Minneapolis, MN - 8:00 PM ET

TV: None

League Pass:
None

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/1012400003/CHI-vs-MIN

Reeve is claiming to play this game to win.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/03/24 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/03/24 12:23 am    ::: Re: Sky @ Lynx - 5/03/24 Reply Reply with quote

Missing Lynx:
Juhasz, Kone, Zandalasini - NWT
McBuckets - Resting

PostPosted: 05/03/24 6:30 am    ::: Re: Sky @ Lynx - 5/03/24 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA Preseason
Minneapolis, MN - 8:00 PM ET

TV: None

League Pass:
TBDIA

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/1012400003/CHI-vs-MIN

The purpose for preseason games is player evaluation. If Luuuc information is correct, the Lynx might have too many players missing in action to be able to win a game tonight.

PostPosted: 05/03/24 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officials:

Tim Green
Blanca Burns
Biniam Maru

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 05/03/24 11:58 am    ::: Re: Sky @ Lynx - 5/03/24 Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Shades wrote:

The purpose for preseason games is player evaluation.

Well you better go tell Reeve to relax then, because that’s what she told the media. She doesn’t want an 0-6 start this season, so the winning mentality starts early.

Rock Hard wrote:
If Luuuc information is correct, the Lynx might have too many players missing in action to be able to win a game tonight.

Looks like you assumed Luuuc also posted Chicago injuries, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Diamond DeShields G May 15 Out May 2: DeShields (knee) is questionable for the preseason opener against the Lynx on Friday, Matt Cohen of Winsidr reports.
Marina Mabrey G May 3 Day-To-Day
Brianna Turner F May 3 Day-To-Day
Brianna Turner F May 2: Turner (knee) is questionable for Friday's preseason game against the Lynx, Matt Cohen of Winsidr reports.
Isabelle Harrison F May 3 Out May 2: Harrison is questionable for Friday's game against the Lynx due to a knee issue, Matt Cohen of Winsidr reports.
Taya Reimer F May 15 Out

With both Harrison and Turner questionable, there could be a lot Angel Reese on the court tonight, potentially making Reeve look bad for passing on her. Reese has it figured out that Reeve passed on her. Surprised

Shades

PostPosted: 05/03/24 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 05/03/24 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

92-81 MIN final

Collier 17 pts (7-9, 2-2 3P, 1-1 FT), 3 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk in 19:14
Williams 17 pts (7-11, 1-2 3P, 2-3 FT), 2 reb, 5 ast, 1 TO, 2 stl, 2 blk in 21:42
Pili 2 pts (1-7, 0-5 3P, 0-0 FT), 1 reb, 0 ast, 3 TO, 0 in 13 min
(How’s that one TikTok song go? Oh oh!…. oh oh!)

LAllen 17 pts (4-6, 1-1 3P, 8-8 FT), 4 reb, 3 ast, 3 TO in 22 min
Reese 13 pts (2-8, 0-0 3P, 9-10 FT), 9 reb, 1 ast, 2 TO, 2 stl, 1 blk in 24 min
Cardoso 6 pts (3-5, 0-0 3P, 0-1 FT), 4 reb, 1 ast, 1 TO, 1 stl, 2 blk in 13 min

Shades

PostPosted: 05/03/24 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen

PostPosted: 05/03/24 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game was streamed on Twitter/X with more than 260K viewers!!!!

WNBA = not prepared at all. LOL. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/04/24 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bless the person who left her phone streaming the game (and got the tacit approval of both teams in the aftermath). I wonder how quickly the remaining home teams will try to arrange broadcasts.

PostPosted: 05/04/24 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bless the person who left her phone streaming the game (and got the tacit approval of both teams in the aftermath). I wonder how quickly the remaining home teams will try to arrange broadcasts.

With those kind of numbers for a fuzzy video stream that was basically unwatchable, it shouldn't be hard to sell a couple of ads to pay for it. If there aren't any TV channels that want to show the game, it shouldn't be that hard for the team to get one person to point a midcourt camera in the right direction and just stream that themselves. They have glaring evidence that it doesn't necessarily have to be a full bells and whistles broadcast for people to watch and appreciate that they can see the game.

PostPosted: 05/04/24 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

The views for that are insane.

I want the WNBA to learn from this - there are multiple stars fans want to see. Women’s basketball as a whole is in the rise.

PostPosted: 05/04/24 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looked like they had the usual game film crew there. They just chose not to broadcast it. The local news showed some HQ highlights.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/05/24 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It looked like they had the usual game film crew there. They just chose not to broadcast it. The local news showed some HQ highlights.

What you may have been seeing is the in-arena cameras. There are typically two sets of cameras at every regular season/playoff game—TV and in-arena.

Also, in preseason, if games aren't being broadcast, there may be an extra "coaches" center camera for game film for both teams.

When a game isn't being nationally-televised, local TV is also permitted to shoot the game from the baseline to generate highlights, so they may have filmed their own footage.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/05/24 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
What you may have been seeing is the in-arena cameras. There are typically two sets of cameras at every regular season/playoff game—TV and in-arena.

Also, in preseason, if games aren't being broadcast, there may be an extra "coaches" center camera for game film for both teams.

When a game isn't being nationally-televised, local TV is also permitted to shoot the game from the baseline to generate highlights, so they may have filmed their own footage.

CRDS, is there actually some kind of League directive that you're not allowed to stream the game unless there's a proper television broadcast being done by some channel somewhere? Because the number of people that watched that fuzzy iPhone stream shows that if you just streamed that midcourt coaches camera raw feed, or even a feed of what's on the jumbotron, plenty of people would tune in and view that as better than nothing. Everyone and their dog has a streaming channel these days on YouTube or Twitch or wherever, so streaming anything feels pretty basic at this point. It doesn't seem like this should be that hard.

PostPosted: 05/05/24 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

CRDS, is there actually some kind of League directive that you're not allowed to stream the game unless there's a proper television broadcast being done by some channel somewhere? Because the number of people that watched that fuzzy iPhone stream shows that if you just streamed that midcourt coaches camera raw feed, or even a feed of what's on the jumbotron, plenty of people would tune in and view that as better than nothing. Everyone and their dog has a streaming channel these days on YouTube or Twitch or wherever, so streaming anything feels pretty basic at this point. It doesn't seem like this should be that hard.

The simple answer is I'm not certain.

What I think I know is that the rules wouldn't allow teams to stream nationally. We all have an X-hundred mile radius around us outside of which we can't broadcast or market. That precludes us from creating a situation like the Cubs and Braves had (have?) with their games essentially being televised nationally for decades in other team's markets, even in the streaming space. I'm unclear what carve outs or exceptions to this rule might exist

I'm curious as to the specifics as well, and have a call into the league. I will share what I learn if and when I can.

With the demand for games being broadcast or streamed now outpacing supply, I would think some of these rules could change in the very near future.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/05/24 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

... What I think I know is that the rules wouldn't allow teams to stream nationally. We all have an X-hundred mile radius around us outside of which we can't broadcast or market. That precludes us from creating a situation like the Cubs and Braves had (have?) with their games essentially being televised nationally for decades in other team's markets, even in the streaming space. I'm unclear what carve outs or exceptions to this rule might exist

Does that mean that they've changed the laws to make it illegal for anyone else to ever create another "Superstation," or just that it would be illegal for the owners of said Superstation to broadcast sports on it?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/24 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
... What I think I know is that the rules wouldn't allow teams to stream nationally. We all have an X-hundred mile radius around us outside of which we can't broadcast or market. That precludes us from creating a situation like the Cubs and Braves had (have?) with their games essentially being televised nationally for decades in other team's markets, even in the streaming space. I'm unclear what carve outs or exceptions to this rule might exist

Does that mean that they've changed the laws to make it illegal for anyone else to ever create another "Superstation," or just that it would be illegal for the owners of said Superstation to broadcast sports on it?

It's against MLB rules, not actually illegal

PostPosted: 05/05/24 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/06/24 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

It's against MLB rules, not actually illegal

I just think the league has been short-sighted about the interest in pre-season games.

I'm sure it goes back to basic monetization. Think of all the national and local licenses in place that don't allow us to watch games live, about which many complain bitterly. I have an Amazon Prime Video sub but can't watch Sky-Storm games live. YouTubeTV has CBS Sports Network, the ESPNs, NBA TV and our Chicago station that broadcasts and various others, and I stiil can't often watch live. They juggled the original TV schedules to add more Indy games when they realized the draw. Sometimes the games they "guess" will deserve more eyes end up sucking. They clearly underestimated interest in my patchwork pre-season team.

The teams' "game tapes" can't/probably won't officially be made available because no one is making money from them. Someone will probably find a way to say it's illegal to share them.

PostPosted: 05/06/24 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Sorry. Just meant that the WNBA doesn't permit us to do something like that. Not that it is illegal in any sense

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/11/24 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Sorry. Just meant that the WNBA doesn't permit us to do something like that. Not that it is illegal in any sense

One last thing on streaming. We are actually going through a third party promoter for our preseason game today in South Carolina. They obviously have a significant financial interest in driving fans to the game, and streaming could impact that revenue. Not that it couldn't be negotiated into the deal, but it is just another thing to add to the list. It isn't always as simple as "just stream it already!"

If we truly see the increase in support and attendance throughout 2024, broadcasting preseason games will become the norm moving forward.

You youngsters won't remember this, but the NBA was still airing playoff and Finals games on tape delay in the early 1980s. Although I would argue that we already have our Bird-Magic rivalry in Stewie and A'ja, there is no doubt that Caitlin and Angel have jumpstarted interest in the W in the most impactful way since the founding of the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: