RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ref Switched Out at Halftime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/24 8:33 pm    ::: Ref Switched Out at Halftime Reply Reply with quote

This is gonna piss off the NCAA. She had opportunities to tell them about a conflict and didn't. Even is she missed the message from the NCAA, she had to know that it was not appropriate for her to do a game that involved a school that she had a master's from. She should have known to tell them without them even asking.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39795737/ncaa-removes-official-nc-state-chattanooga-due-background-conflict

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Phil

PostPosted: 03/24/24 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a brief summary about this and my first thought was that it seemed like a nothing burger, but my assumption was that the change was made before the game started. I didn't realize until I read your linked article that they made the change during the game.

I don't ever recall this coming up. You would think that virtually all refs would have a college connection and there must be many situations where they are scheduled to referent team where they attended. Perhaps it's normally figured out well before the assignments are made and never comes up because they never get assigned to their own school. I wonder if that's automatically figured out for your bachelors degree in this one fell through the cracks because it was a postgrad degree.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/24 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I saw a brief summary about this and my first thought was that it seemed like a nothing burger, but my assumption was that the change was made before the game started. I didn't realize until I read your linked article that they made the change during the game.

I don't ever recall this coming up. You would think that virtually all refs would have a college connection and there must be many situations where they are scheduled to referent team where they attended. Perhaps it's normally figured out well before the assignments are made and never comes up because they never get assigned to their own school. I wonder if that's automatically figured out for your bachelors degree in this one fell through the cracks because it was a postgrad degree.

The NCAA asks that a ref disclose any affiliation that they have with colleges before assignments are made. There are 32 (plus the play-in games) games that you can be assigned to. The NCAA already wants you. Take the opportunity and run with it. Don't screw it up almost before it starts.
Quote:
The NCAA asks all officials who are being considered for the NCAA tournament to disclose school affiliations to avoid potential conflicts. In this case, it wasn't disclosed.

It reflects on the integrity of official. And as an official, that's a pretty big thing.

It was a masters degree, so it isn't like she's totally in the dark about the way things work.

Now maybe, since it was a master's, she never set foot on campus and did it all on line. Still, it's common sense and I have a feeling that it will be a while until she gets another NCAA tourney assignment. Even if it can be determined that she did tell the NCAA ahead of assignments being made, she should have said something once she got hers. It's not like they kidnap you, put a bag over your head and drive you to your game in secret.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/24/24 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either she just started that Masters this semester or this isn't the first time the conflict was missed: https://hailstate.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/ut-chattanooga/boxscore/26114

(shoutout to the Mississippi State fan who spotted this)

PostPosted: 03/24/24 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Either she just started that Masters this semester or this isn't the first time the conflict was missed: https://hailstate.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/ut-chattanooga/boxscore/26114

(shoutout to the Mississippi State fan who spotted this)

I think that she earned her master's in the past. Her linkedin doesn't give a date for it, but that's what I got from the article.

That was an out of conference game, so that was between her and UTC. I don't know that colleges even ask if there is a conflict. But the NCAA specifically asks.

I always question when Rod Creech does an ND game. He's from Mishawaka, IN, which is literally across Hickory Street from South Bend and a mile or so from ND. I don't know that he has any connection to ND, but it always seems like he shouldn't be there.

Her employment bio:
https://energythinks.com/team/tommi-paris/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: