RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Tennessee vs #1 South Carolina - 3/09/24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/24 12:09 am    ::: #5 Tennessee vs #1 South Carolina - 3/09/24 Reply Reply with quote

SEC Tournament - Semifinal
Greenville, SC - 4:30 PM ET

TV: ESPNU (Courtney Lyle, Carolyn Peck)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/b7c800f7-6b35-4b50-88f8-9a989e3a1536 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://img.leanstream.co/IM1702-MP3

Live stats:
https://statbroadcast.com/events/tournament.php?tid=217

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/09/24 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks on pace for a 80-rebound game here......

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/24 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

65-63 SC with 4:27 left

Watkins with 4 fouls

Jackson 18 pts, 8 reb, 8 ast

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/09/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! Cardoso hits a 3 pointer at the buzzer to give S. Carolina the win: 74-73. Her first 3 point attempt of the season.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/09/24 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t believe they put no pressure on the inbounds pass. SC with no timeouts & no pressure. Bad decision on positioning by coach Harper. Heartbreaker for TN.

PostPosted: 03/09/24 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TN looked like they didn't want to foul, but they had a foul to give.

Use it!!!!!!!

Oh, and guard the inbounder.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
thardy929

PostPosted: 03/09/24 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't remember a loss this heartbreaking as a Tennessee fan since that Elite 8 loss to Duke in 1999 that ended Chamique's (and Kellie Jolly-Harper's) career(s). Just gutted for the staff and players.

Hope they can bounce back from this - Harper, Jackson, and Spear were all devastated in the post-game presser.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/09/24 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only thing worse than losing on a buzzer beater three is losing on a banked buzzer beater three by a player who doesn't shoot threes.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/09/24 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One announcer said it was the first made three of Cardoso's career. Sometimes games are won by pure luck.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/09/24 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. They certainly didn't look #1-ish in that game. Odd, this Madness of March. Gotta feel the heartbreak for The Lady Vols - the upset mighta been The Story of The Season (after Caitlin, of course!)

#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/24 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you choose not to guard the inbounder, thus giving you a spare player elsewhere on the court, why allow anyone a wide open catch-and-shoot opportunity?? Very weird defensive setup with 1.1 on the clock.

PostPosted: 03/09/24 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were only 2 things that would lose them the game: letting a player take a 3 point shot and fouling someone while letting their shot go in.

Of course, if they had just made their free throws right before that, it would be moot.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/10/24 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
If you choose not to guard the inbounder, thus giving you a spare player elsewhere on the court, why allow anyone a wide open catch-and-shoot opportunity?? Very weird defensive setup with 1.1 on the clock.

According to Dawn, she wouldn’t have put anyone on Cordova either. Given that she’d never even put up a 3 her entire career, not a threat to hit a 3. So, there’s that.

As I said in my previous post, to me the mistake was not putting someone on the inbound pass. SC had no timeouts, pressure them to make a perfect pass. And that was a coaching decision. What a terrible mistake.

PostPosted: 03/10/24 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

According to Dawn, she wouldn’t have put anyone on Cordova either. Given that she’d never even put up a 3 her entire career, not a threat to hit a 3. So, there’s that.

As I said in my previous post, to me the mistake was not putting someone on the inbound pass. SC had no timeouts, pressure them to make a perfect pass. And that was a coaching decision. What a terrible mistake.

So Key should have guarded Johnson and not protect the basket?

PostPosted: 03/10/24 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a remarkable game. Tennessee deserved to win but definitely a coaching mistake. This game showed me that any team is beatable and I can’t wait until Big Dance time!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/24 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This should be good for Tennessee's placement in the tournament, however. coming that close....

PostPosted: 03/10/24 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

No Rickea should have pressured Johnson’s inbound pass as that’s who was guarding Johnson while Kelly demanded key stay in the paint at the rim .

PostPosted: 03/10/24 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Wow! Cardoso hits a 3 pointer at the buzzer to give S. Carolina the win: 74-73. Her first 3 point attempt of the season.

Can you believe Candace Parker called Aja Wilson to gloat about Tennessee victory right before Cardoso's shot went up? Let's just say that call didn't go how CP thought it would.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/10/24 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

No Rickea should have pressured Johnson’s inbound pass as that’s who was guarding Johnson while Kelly demanded key stay in the paint at the rim .
Coaching mistake or player mistake? Would it have been better for Tennessee to take the timeout to organize the defense better?

PostPosted: 03/10/24 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Coaching mistake or player mistake? Would it have been better for Tennessee to take the timeout to organize the defense better?

Hard to say. That would have given USC an opp to set up something as well.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/10/24 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

So Tennessee took a gamble on defense and they lost.

PostPosted: 03/10/24 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

So Tennessee took a gamble on defense and they lost.

Same as they did with the coaching decision after Holly…no shade Surprised

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: