RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Connecticut @ #1 South Carolina - 2/11/24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/10/24 2:40 pm    ::: #11 Connecticut @ #1 South Carolina - 2/11/24 Reply Reply with quote

Columbia, SC - 2:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN (Dave O’Brien, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=92f64860-937e-4490-82b9-adb09df9fa6c (tvpli)

Audio:
https://img.leanstream.co/IM1702-MP3

Live stats:
https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=489243

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/11/24 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn shoots 26% in Q1, down 8. They are getting shots but just missing. SC showing superior athleticism.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/11/24 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn shoots 26% in Q1, down 8. They are getting shots but just missing. SC showing superior athleticism.

UConn just doesn’t have the size or depth to play South Carolina. Griffin was the absolute nail in the coffin.

I’m impressed with our freshman, especially Shade. But we’re gonna need Paige to be..beyond special..to make a deep run.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a competitive game in H1. UConn simply can't hit a shot or make an assist. SC almost scoring at will. Seems like this will be an easy win for SC.

Pao Pao best guard so far. Watkins the best big. Muhl doing nothing on offense or defense.

Tangent: Whoever (ESPN) rated Ice Brady over Ashlyn Watkins in high school either didn't actually didn't see them or was incompetent. Watkins is much better in every aspect of the game.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan of the game , I expected UCONN to put up a tougher fight than this . SC is drilling them into the ground . Geno you have to use your bench at some point or at least recruit players you want to invest in. And the call for Paige to be "Special" is becoming a re-run . I dont believe ive ever seen her score 40 or pull a Caitlin Clark for UCONN so im not sure what standards of "Special" people want her to be . She's an efficient shooter who can create her own shot .

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC up 25 at 3Q. Little Big Horn redux.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
As a fan of the game , I expected UCONN to put up a tougher fight than this . SC is drilling them into the ground . Geno you have to use your bench at some point or at least recruit players you want to invest in.

We have 5 players out with a season ending injuries. Our bench is two players and walk ons. There isn’t anyone to play.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This dominant game (without Cardoso), plus all the effusively pro-Staley statistical graphics, was a very effective recruiting tool for the elite SC program.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/11/24 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks win 83-65. A resounding statement win for the Gamecocks.

TeHina Paopao led the Gamecocks with 21 pts on 8-12 shooting from the floor, 5-7 from 3-pt. distance. Ashlyn Watkins stood in for Cardoso to score 15 pts on 7-12 shooting, with 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. Chloe Kitts added 14 pts on 7-11 shooting with 4 boards before fouling out. PG Raven Johnson added 10 pts on 4-10 shooting, a team-leading 12 rebounds, 5 assists to just 2 turnovers, and 2 steals.

CT's Aaliyah Edwards led the way with 20 pts on 8-12 shooting, with 12 boards, and 3 assists, and Paige Bueckers also scored 20 pts on 8-20 shooting, with 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Ashlynn Shade added 14 pts on 6-19 shooting.

The South Carolina bench out-scored CT's bench 19-3......

From 2013-2014 through 2018-19, Connecticut was 24-3 versus Top 10 ranked opponents in the regular season. 24-3! The 3 losses were @Standford in overtime, @Baylor, and @ Louisville.

Since then, Connecticut is now 5-10 versus such ranked opponents, with their loss today.

From 2013-14 through 2018-19, South Carolina was 12-14 versus Top 10 opponents in the regular season. Since, we are now 15-3 with our win today. The worm has definitely turned......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/11/24 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 2024 prospect - and 1 of only 2 remaining uncommitted prospects from that class (Mackenly Randolph) - and her family sat in row behind the USC bench for the game. Hmmmm.....how would she fit in along with Joyce Edwards??

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 02/11/24 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Top 2024 prospect - and 1 of only 2 remaining uncommitted prospects from that class (Mackenly Randolph) - and her family sat in row behind the USC bench for the game. Hmmmm.....how would she fit in along with Joyce Edwards??

Didn't know Randolph was there . Sarah Strong was there . The gamecock students started chanting " We want Sarah " .

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/11/24 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This dominant game (without Cardoso), plus all the effusively pro-Staley statistical graphics, was a very effective recruiting tool for the elite SC program.

Good! Auriemma had his day, just like Coach Summitt had before him. It's time for another coach to be the one who gets all the shine, all the attention, all the top recruits, etc., and it might as well be Staley.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/11/24 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Didn't know Randolph was there . Sarah Strong was there . The gamecock students started chanting " We want Sarah " .

Randolph was not there. I was pointing out that Strong along with Randolph were the only remaining prospects for the 2024 class to not have committed to a college program yet. Strong and her family WAS there - I forgot to add Strong's name in front of "and her family"...... Embarassed

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/11/24 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course its true that CT has several key players out with injury for today's game. I consider Griffin to be the biggest loss for the Huskies - unlike Fudd, Patterson, and Ducharme - Griffin is the only player to my mind that has proven herself impactful in big games against top opponents like USC.

The others have either played and had strong performances - but only against weaker opponents who struggled to do anything to stop them - or they just hadn't had the chance yet to prove their value in any big games yet (El Alfy).

Patterson and Fudd are a combined 1-4 versus South Carolina for 3 pts, 3 blocks, 1 rebound, and 1 steal in 41:11 of court time in their careers. The most they contributed to the games were the 5 fouls each they brought to the table, as well as some needed rest time for the starters.

So when I read from many of the CT fans on message boards elsewhere that CT "only had 7 players", I am confused: CT had 9 players dressed and available to play, just like South Carolina did. They just chose to NOT play two of those - one of them being a former 5-star rated prep prospect who is a Junior at CT this season, an upperclassman.

South Carolina play their personnel regardless of class or star rating. Perhaps some may not play much, but they typically have played minutes in BOTH the 1st as well as 2nd halves, and against conference foes as much as against non-conference mid-majors. Samika Walker played as many minutes today as BOTH Bettencourt and Deberry have averaged this season, but they were nowhere to be found today. What is wrong with THEIR 5 fouls???

CT is again dealing with horrible injury issues, but the small rotations are nothing new with the latest Auriemma Huskies teams. In South Carolina's first ever win over CT during the 2019-20 season, Luigi only played SIX (6) players in that game. Paige and Azzi et all were high school players then.

Dawn Staley has always made sure to give ALL players opportunities throughout seasons, so (1) they gain experience in the offensive sets, cohesiveness with different sets of teammates, and (2) the regular starters and top 6-7 players stay fresh throughout a tough, grinding conference schedule so they are ready to play for tournament titles.

I just can't understand why CT's coaching staff are so consistently afraid to let their players all play and contribute. Is the CT system THAT hard for a typical top-of-her-class prep player to learn before her junior/senior year of eligibility???? Question Confused Question

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/11/24 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Good! Auriemma had his day, just like Coach Summitt had before him. It's time for another coach to be the one who gets all the shine, all the attention, all the top recruits, etc., and it might as well be Staley.
👍🏿💯

PostPosted: 02/11/24 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley certainly has earned her stripes in every regard and clearly, this is a case of natural succession. One of the hallmarks of a great coach is how much better a player is by the time they leave a program. Dawn can even benefit a kid in one season. Not related to this game, but she recently said something very poignant (to me, at least) re: Pao Pao...."We needed her, and she needed us".

Of course, as a Duck fan it was heartbreaking to see Te-Hina leave Oregon, but that statement by Dawn explained it all: PaoPao KNEW that, if she was to really reach her fullest potential, she had to go to a coach like Dawn; she has the skill set, but wasn't going anywhere at Oregon.

Geno's legacy is untouchable, but it's in its twilight now. That's life.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Staley certainly has earned her stripes in every regard and clearly, this is a case of natural succession. One of the hallmarks of a great coach is how much better a player is by the time they leave a program. Dawn can even benefit a kid in one season. Not related to this game, but she recently said something very poignant (to me, at least) re: Pao Pao...."We needed her, and she needed us".

Of course, as a Duck fan it was heartbreaking to see Te-Hina leave Oregon, but that statement by Dawn explained it all: PaoPao KNEW that, if she was to really reach her fullest potential, she had to go to a coach like Dawn; she has the skill set, but wasn't going anywhere at Oregon.

Geno's legacy is untouchable, but it's in its twilight now. That's life.

I felt like Dawn being the first person to beat Geno in a National Championship was the passing of the torch.

I love Dawn..but I hope whoever UConn gets next competes well with her. I’m thinking WCBB is at a point where we’ll be better off with more dominant teams.

As for UConn, I’m hoping Paige stays another year. This isn’t how her college career should end. She’s just getting her footing from injury - and I’d personally love to see her with a full team.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now UConn fans know how other programs have felt for the last 20 years.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now UConn fans know how other programs have felt for the last 20 years.

Exactly. Time to cash it in, Geno. Let someone else take all the criticism Holly and Kellie have had since.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Pao Pao best guard so far. Watkins the best big.

Yup. I said to my friend that if Paige is not the best guard on the floor and Edwards is not the best big, then we have no shot at winning. Both got better, but by then, it didn't matter.

WNBA 09 wrote:
As a fan of the game, I expected UCONN to put up a tougher fight than this. SC is drilling them into the ground.

Conversely, I wasn't even that mad watching the game because it is typical of UConn in a big game in the last few years: no fight, no organization, no coaching, no togetherness, no leadership. Paige may be a better player than Diana, but she's not nearly the leader Diana was. When the coach isn't going to lead (or call timeouts, change up tactics, etc.), someone on the floor has to, and UConn didn't have anyone remotely do so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: