RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner and Mercury confronted at airport
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 06/10/23 5:07 pm    ::: Brittney Griner and Mercury confronted at airport Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/37832325/brittney-griner-mercury-confronted-dallas-airport

this behind paywall (or sign up for 1 article free):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/10/brittney-griner-confrontation-airport/

tfan

PostPosted: 06/10/23 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The league said Saturday that Griner has been approved to fly charter for WNBA games. It's unclear why she was not doing so Saturday.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Provocateur" is the family-friendly way to say "asshole"

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really stupid of Voepel and ESPN to put the idiot's name in the article. Of course I really don't expect much from either of them when I think about it.

Don't give him the publicity/attention that he is craving and maybe he will stop.

Hopefully this doesn't give others the same idea. I'm afraid that it's just put ALL of the WNBA players at more risk of others trying to do the same thing, or more.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow!!Thank you for sharing.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Really stupid of Voepel and ESPN to put the idiot's name in the article. Of course I really don't expect much from either of them when I think about it.

Don't give him the publicity/attention that he is craving and maybe he will stop.

Hopefully this doesn't give others the same idea. I'm afraid that it's just put ALL of the WNBA players at more risk of others trying to do the same thing, or more.

I disagree, especially since this guy is a known provocateur (I'll refrain from using far worse terms that he deserves.) People like this should be exposed. And he's not going to stop, with or without this particular publicity. And lots of others already have the same idea. All of your comments seem to be completely, admirably well-intentioned... but way off the mark of today's realities.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Wow!!Thank you for sharing.

Yes, thank you, threadkiller.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inevitably loads of people jumped on this to demand charters again. To me, it feels more like a problem with there being too many assholes in the world rather than a problem with WNBA teams' flight schedules. Unless Griner's never going to leave her house again, never going to walk down a street, or go to a grocery store, or hell, never going to near any members of the public at basketball games, then things like this can happen. It might be a little easier to track her down due to flying commercial, but it hardly removes the possibility if they were going by charter to every game. It sounds like the security response wasn't great, which is unfortunate, but douchebags are gonna douchebag. Players should absolutely be able to do their jobs and travel to and from them in safety, but it's hard to prevent this kind of garbage 100% of the time.

And it doesn't make charters for every team and every game any more affordable than they were yesterday.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Social media is kind of amazing but there sure are a lot of serious negatives about it as well.
Famous for being a dick. What a wonderful legacy. What a wonderful impact on society.

And yeah, I'm kind of agreeing with Richyyy that to me this is a separate issue from charter flights.
They would obviously help in this regard, but the response to someone being a dick shouldn't be to spend $100 million to avoid them. How about we deal with the dicks instead of putting the onus on the women to remove themselves from places they have every right to be in.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I disagree, especially since this guy is a known provocateur (I'll refrain from using far worse terms that he deserves.) People like this should be exposed. And he's not going to stop, with or without this particular publicity. And lots of others already have the same idea. All of your comments seem to be completely, admirably well-intentioned... but way off the mark of today's realities.

I'm not saying don't report that it happened. I'm saying don't give him the publicity. Kind of like not showing when an asshole runs onto the field/court. Don't put them on tv. Briefly say why the game has been interrupted. Then back to talking about the game. Talk about anything but them. Don't give them what they want. Stop rewarding bad/stupid behavior.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/10/23 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm not saying don't report that it happened. I'm saying don't give him the publicity. Kind of like not showing when an asshole runs onto the field/court. Don't put them on tv. Briefly say why the game has been interrupted. Then back to talking about the game. Talk about anything but them. Don't give them what they want. Stop rewarding bad/stupid behavior.

I think what you said the first time was clear. Same for your 2nd comment. In the case of some unknown person running onto the field, I agree. In the case of this guy who confronted Griner, with his known public history of right-wing ugliness, I think you're completely wrong. My last comment on this.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I think what you said the first time was clear. Same for your 2nd comment. In the case of some unknown person running onto the field, I agree. In the case of this guy who confronted Griner, with his known public history of right-wing ugliness, I think you're completely wrong. My last comment on this.

And I think that you are completely wrong. And good, I get the last word.

Nothing has been made better for the players and their traveling companions by releasing his name. So why do it? If there is even the slightest bit of risk associated with releasing it and giving him and others like him what they want, why do it? It's pointless.

There's a reason that idiots on the field/court aren't shown on tv unless they are totally getting body slammed by someone three times their size. Announce that it happened, but don't let his googled name be directed to your site. Don't add to his audience.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/10/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think either one of you is completely wrong. You've each pointed out the upsides and downsides of handling it publicly or anonymously. Does the upside of calling him out publicly outweigh the downside of the extra followers it will bring him? I don't think there's a completely wrong answer.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/10/23 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If this harasser is just the first one, there are bound to be more unless the WNBA does something quickly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/troubling-details-emerge-from-brittney-griner-airport-incident/ar-AA1cnR33?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=95efd61eabe944bcd707794f03cc5e30&ei=50

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/10/23 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I was unfamiliar with the "gentleman's" "work", I didn't know him from a hole in the wall. Now I know that if I see his name, whatever is being said is bullshit and I can a) avoid him b) avoid platforming him if his bullshit crosses my path.

I would like to know what the hell happened with the charter BG was supposed to have, and the extra security we were assured was in place for her.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Since I was unfamiliar with the "gentleman's" "work", I didn't know him from a hole in the wall. Now I know that if I see his name, whatever is being said is bullshit and I can a) avoid him b) avoid platforming him if his bullshit crosses my path.

I would like to know what the hell happened with the charter BG was supposed to have, and the extra security we were assured was in place for her.

Quote:
Jackson said that security had to push the man away and even tackle him because he would not stop trying to harass them. The video snippet that the harasser has posted on his own Twitter shows that security is trying to keep him away from Griner but he refuses to stop moving towards them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/troubling-details-emerge-from-brittney-griner-airport-incident/ar-AA1cnR33?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=95efd61eabe944bcd707794f03cc5e30&ei=50

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/10/23 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks- I've been trying to be careful what I click on regarding this debacle, because I don't want to link back to the fuckface. I went to his profile just long enough to report that specific tweet for harassment and his entire ass profile for breaking approximately eighty-leven Twitter rules, then blocked him.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
"Provocateur" is the family-friendly way to say "asshole"

Exactly. I cannot stand stunt b*tches... I swear.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If BG has been given the ok to fly charter, is her team paying for it, or the league?

BG is a good person, and I bet she probably feels uncomfortable getting this necessary exception that her teammates aren't getting????

-Just speculating.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Thankfully, Yahoo Sports didn't do so. I agree, don't give him the energy he craves.

I really wanted to stay out of this. I challenge Ex-Ref, Chicago Annie, and anyone else: read Alex Stein's Wikipedia bio and tell us that if he hadn't gotten this publicity today then "maybe he would stop." He's been at this for YEARS all over the U.S. But "maybe he would stop"???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Stein_(comedian)

PostPosted: 06/11/23 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I stand 100% with Bob. Have security ready to lock him up whenever he refuses to follow orders to cease and desist. These pond scum impersonating human beings need to be ID'd and dealt with.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/11/23 2:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I stand 100% with Bob. Have security ready to lock him up whenever he refuses to follow orders to cease and desist. These pond scum impersonating human beings need to be ID'd and dealt with.

PS: Sounds like the whole team deserves a security detail while traveling.

~rAf
DTP

PostPosted: 06/11/23 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hate how it immediately turned into shitting on the WNBA yesterday on twitter. The league didn't put Griner in the situation she got into in Russia...the league went above and beyond what 99% of employers would do to get her home. The league has made extra accommodations and allowances to keep her safe while traveling and nothing but players and the players association going public trashing the league at first chance. I just don't get it.

I've not seen the full video so I don't want to downplay the feelings of the players that went through it yesterday but at the same time....the airport is one of the safest places in this country. Security was there and from the reports I've read, it sounds like security did their job. I just don't like the players & players association trying to use this to bully their way into chartered flights.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/11/23 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Thankfully, Yahoo Sports didn't do so. I agree, don't give him the energy he craves.

I really wanted to stay out of this. I challenge Ex-Ref, Chicago Annie, and anyone else: read **** Wikipedia bio and tell us that if he hadn't gotten this publicity today then "maybe he would stop." He's been at this for YEARS all over the U.S. But "maybe he would stop"???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/********_(comedian)

I don't need to read his wiki to find out what a prick he is. He isn't going to stop his assholish behavior until he is charged with multiple crimes related to it. But if he is getting more pub by accosting a group of WNBA players, getting his name all over the internet, then why would he ever stop? (You posting his name here will now add to it. Google his name and now Reb's will be added to the list of places in the results.)

Voepel and ESPN had an opportunity to take one of those things away from him. But they chose to feed him instead. There was nothing to be gained from it that I can see. He can't be shamed into a more positive behavior.

Social media is all about publicity and more hits to your twitter and wiki pages. Stop that publicity and there is no reason for him to pursue his past activities in the same way.

It is the reward for his action that he is after. If he gets the reward (his name on the internet) even one time, he will do it again. If he doesn't get that reward, he will move on to someplace/someone else.

Example 1 - It is like the kid in the candy/toy store that starts kicking and screaming that they want candy/toy. Reward the kid with candy/toy and they will repeat the behavior the next time. Don't buy the kid what they want and after enough times of no reward for bad behavior, maybe they will ask nicely next time for a piece of candy/toy.

Example 2 - It is like if you're having problems with wild vermin at your place. They are coming to get an easy meal from the bowl of food that you have put out for your cats/dogs. You don't want to feed the vermin, so you stop putting the food in a place that is accessible to them. The vermin move on to another place. If everyone in the neighborhood stop feeding the vermin that will be the end of them in the neighborhood.

Now if I may ask -
How many of you knew this asshole's name before this? How has you knowing his name made BG and the rest of the WNBA safer? Sorry, I only see it as feeding the beast.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/11/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
To be blunt, it's potentially dangerous for WNBA players to not fly via charter. Why? They are some of the most politically active and outspoken athletes in all of sports. This is a good thing and they are incredibly brave. But this makes them targets and we are in a violent country with a right wing that pushes horrific rhetoric toward its perceived opponents. We've seen this over and over and over again.

At least someone in the media agrees.
Quote:
And don't expect me to mention the name of the buffoon. He will get enough attention....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2023/06/10/brittney-griner-harassed-wnba-players-charter-flights/70309597007/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: