RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfer Portal Winners and Losers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/30/23 2:58 am    ::: Transfer Portal Winners and Losers Reply Reply with quote

With most of the big talent having found their new homes, what teams do you think came out on top or lost the Portal game this go around?

PostPosted: 05/30/23 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just look at the Big X!!

Heaviest portal activity:

-OK STATE - 7 in, 5 out
-TCU - 6 in, 2 out
-WVU - 5 in, 3 out
-Baylor 4 in, 3 out
-Texas Tech 4 in, 1 out
-ISU 2 in, 5 out
-Kansas - 0 in, 6 out

Programs that lost key performers in portal:

-ISU - Lexi Donarski and Denee Fritz (BAYLOR)
-Baylor - Jaden Owens (TCU)
-OK STATE - Taylen Collins and Lexy Keys (OKLAHOMA)
-KANSAS - Chandler Prater and Ionna Chatzileoni (OK STATE)

Programs that added key additions via portal:

-Iowa State - C Isnelle Natabou
- Baylor - Denee Fritz, Jada Walker
-Oklahoma - Peyton Verhulst
.-OK State - Chandler Prater, Quincy Noble, Kennedy Fauntelroy
-Texas Tech - Jordyn Merrit
-TCU-Jaydeon Owens, Sedona Prince

Programs who Relied on Portal to get better .

-OK state - Hoyt only has 5 players returning to her roster in her second season in Stillwater. Her new additions should help her team replicate last years NCAA appearance,
-Baylor - brought in solid backcourt depth. Numbers were an issue for Baylor last season
-TCU - Campbell brings in lots of players with college experience at successful programs
-Oklahoma - .

Programs whose portal activity was neither positive or negative:

-Texas - Lots of experience returning to Austin plus solid recruiting class.
-K-State- Return 4 starters from last years team plus 3 year starter Lee who missed last season.
-Texas Tech

Programs who lost in portal

- Iowa State - They dont replace the transfers of Donarski and Fritz via the portal or in their upcoming recruiting class.
-Kansas - Prater was a key component to their run to WNIT championship. They have a spark plug frosh coming in to team to join the 3 starters using their COVID year but they currently have only 9 players on their roster.
-WVU-

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/30/23 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU and Kim Mulkey think they won big, but I think that remains to be seen. The egos on that team may not mesh, and Kim might not be able to crack a big enough whip to make them. I predict an almighty sulk storm before it's all said and done.

PostPosted: 06/03/23 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
LSU and Kim Mulkey think they won big, but I think that remains to be seen. The egos on that team may not mesh, and Kim might not be able to crack a big enough whip to make them. I predict an almighty sulk storm before it's all said and done.
I agree. The girls that transfer in committed to other schools and did not commit to playing 4 years with this group going in. They all transfer for different reasons and those reasons are going to be a problem. That's why I am glad that Dawn only takes one or two a year to mesh with the classes that have already put in the work.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/03/23 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I agree. The girls that transfer in committed to other schools and did not commit to playing 4 years with this group going in. They all transfer for different reasons and those reasons are going to be a problem. That's why I am glad that Dawn only takes one or two a year to mesh with the classes that have already put in the work.

Kellie is the same. Sure, she loses a few (mostly bench players or sometimes seniors who elect to grad transfer) but she is pretty picky about who she takes in. This year she lost a reserve PG who went back to Kentucky, a freshman who for some reason or other just hadn't panned out and went to Vandy, and a Spanish player who had spent a lot of time either injured or unavailable for other reasons and transferred to Cal. In return she got Jewl Spear out of Wake Forest, Belmont's PG Destinee Wells (who made quite a splash in the NCAA), and Avery Strickland, a W who came home from Pitt when the coach was fired, and who I think she had recruited anyway. She usually picks players who she is pretty sure will mesh with the team.

Same with Coach O at JMU. He's likely to lose a few more, since JMU is a mid, but he's been getting quality transfers from bigger schools, and now that JMU has more visibility in the Sun Belt, the door is swinging both ways a little better. He got transfers from UVA, Ohio State, and St. Joe's this year. I don't think St. Joe's will invite the Dukes back to their invitational this year though since he stole their PG Very Happy

PostPosted: 06/06/23 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford definitely lost a huge amount. And school policy unfortunately prevents transfers in other than Sophs or Grads....either of which need to have academic applications in the previous Fall, which of course is not when the players enter the portal. So... as long as the academic prohibitions remain in place, we will lose every year. Crying or Very sad

linkster

PostPosted: 06/06/23 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford definitely lost a huge amount. And school policy unfortunately prevents transfers in other than Sophs or Grads....either of which need to have academic applications in the previous Fall, which of course is not when the players enter the portal. So... as long as the academic prohibitions remain in place, we will lose every year. Crying or Very sad

When I look at the quality of the players that Tara has had over the last dozen or so years I conclude that Stanford's academics have been more of a help than a hinderance in recruiting.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/06/23 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

When I look at the quality of the players that Tara has had over the last dozen or so years I conclude that Stanford's academics have been more of a help than a hinderance in recruiting.

yes, in recruiting. but it makes the portal practically impossible.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/10/23 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm scrolling through the list of D-I transfers on Raoul's website and noting how many players are still sitting there apparently unsigned. What happens to them? Do they return to their teams (most of their spots are already filled), simply not play, or what?

PostPosted: 06/12/23 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yes, in recruiting. but it makes the portal practically impossible.

As a private institution they can change their rules unilaterally. After all, they hired Condi Rice, a proven liar. on to their faculty. Rolling Eyes

CBiebel

PostPosted: 06/13/23 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall reading that ND was one of only 5 programs that didn't have a transfer out, and I was curious who the other 4 were. I found a blog that listed all the transfers by school, in and out. However, as I was going through the list, I found more than 5 without transfers out. When I was looking over the list I made, I realized what happened. They only counting the "Big 5" conference teams, because why wouldn't they, right?

For the record, here are the teams I found listed on the site (WBB Blog) that didn't have transfers out:

"Big" conference schools:

Florida State
Georgia
Nebraska
Notre Dame
South Carolina

The rest:

Army
Ball St.
Dayton
Eastern Michigan
George Washington
UNLV
North Florida
Northern Iowa
Rice
South Dakota
Southern
Towson

I decided to check out what percentage of both the "Major conference" schools and all Div 1 schools didn't have transfers out.

Among the "Major conference" schools: 7.7%
Among all Div 1 schools: 4.8%

Shades

PostPosted: 06/13/23 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aneesah Morrow and Hailey Van Lith transferring to LSU. Game over.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ridor

PostPosted: 07/01/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Virginia Cavaliers is in Winners category with 3 transfers coming in, only two left, one left for JMU after she was dismissed by the coaches.

It is interesting to note that in the last couple of years, Virginia is heavily made up of transfers with 13 players.

And for the upcoming season, they also got 3 outstanding freshmen. It should be an interesting year for Virginia fans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: