RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sun @ Liberty - 5/27/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 05/27/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I've always liked Han Xu. I hope she'll get a longer look on the court in the games ahead. But I'm ready to say what is apparently heresy here: suppose Sandy Brondello is gradually coming to the conclusion that Nyara Sabally will be a better WNBA player than Han Xu. How exactly does everyone KNOW that that conclusion must be wrong?

Looks to me like Kolb and Brondello decided that Han and Sabally have much greater potential for the Liberty's future than Richards or Prince. So for this season, just for this season, they decided to keep Dolson AND Han AND Sabally. Makes sense to me, especially given that Dolson couldn't be traded (I suspect Kolb tried) and will not be on the Liberty's 2024 roster.

I have never seen a player who is more well liked by her teammates and coaches, and is often given a lot of credit for a lot of things, be as disrespected by fans, like Dolson. Is she a great player? No! But she is a good player, who has a purpose, seems to be very good for chemistry and in the locker room. Yup!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/27/23 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I have never seen a player who is more well liked by her teammates and coaches, and is often given a lot of credit for a lot of things, be as disrespected by fans, like Dolson. Is she a great player? No! But she is a good player, who has a purpose, seems to be very good for chemistry and in the locker room. Yup!

I agree and wish I'd said that. Glad you did. If my thought that Kolb probably tried to trade Dolson (which I believe) suggested that I have a negative view of her, I regret that. Dolson's limitations as a player are easy to see. But everything positive you've written about her is true. For me, what's most telling is the respect and affection that her teammates have for her.

PostPosted: 05/27/23 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
I feel a way about Han Xu going from being a rotation player on a playoff team to being a human victory cigar.

Free Han Xu!

Totally. Han Xu should be playing meaningful minutes somewhere. This is a waste of a potentially great player.

It's amazing. The Liberty have gone from a team without a center to a team with too many centers fairly quickly.

You can't have Dolson, JJ, Han, and Sabally all on the same roster.

We are too big. Lol I like what I see from Sabally this game. If she has this potential then I'm not gonna complain lol

Speaking of Sabally, I really like her Sister's game A LOT. Maybe we can convince her in the future to play for NY šŸ˜œ

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/27/23 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I feel a way about Han Xu going from being a rotation player on a playoff team to being a human victory cigar.

A lot of people feel some kind of way about this. I thought she proved herself last year, and surely thereā€™s got to be more of a use for the tallest player in the league than demographic appeal and the last player off the bench. (Okay, next to last. Jocelyn Willoughby and her stupid contract still exist. And I say this as someone who owns a Jocelyn Willoughby jersey.) Somethingā€™s gotta give at some point with the center minutes. Maybe weā€™ll have a clearer sense of the entire rotation when Marine comes over and weā€™re not engaging in shenanigans like Betnijah or Kayla at the 2. But if anything, that makes the congestion worse.

JJ was definitely pressing too much today. I think she felt she had something to prove against her old team. That did not help. Neither did what appeared to be the refsā€™ vendetta against her. There was a point where she was on the bench with five fouls and Nyara got called for a foul. Since Nyara wears 8, it was signaled as 5 fingers and 3 fingers. The PA guy announced it as Jonquelā€™s sixth foul, and I was only 99 percent certain that he was wrong, because would it have surprised me if WNBA refs fouled someone out of a game while they werenā€™t even in it? Nooooooope.

PostPosted: 05/27/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kevin Pelton put it best on Twitter: the Liberty are in the ā€œraptors testing the fences in Jurassic Parkā€ level of finding their chemistry. There are still times when weā€™re bumping each other off the boards, and some cuts that should have been zigged instead of zagged. And we still have an awful lot of posts and not a lot of guards, and thereā€™s definitely a chance for that to blow up in our faces. And I dislike how often some of our star players seem to treat defense as optional.

But goddamn this team is fun to watch when theyā€™re in gear.

Sloot reminded us all she could score the ball, and Stewie filled the stat sheet, but have we talked enough about the work Kayla Thornton did on the glass and on defense today? Sheā€™s so tough and sheā€™s amazing and I love her.

Also I think this is the first time, or at least the longest amount of time, Iā€™ve seen Nyara Sabally play, and now I understand the hype. She brings an element of physicality that, for all our post congestion, none of the other bigs really seem to match. She thicc.

(Poor Leigha Brown looked like she wanted to ask Stephanie White and/or God ā€œwhy is this my life?ā€ when she was aske to guard Stewie and Nyara in rapid succession, albeit for different reasons. She tried. She does that. Go Blue. But anyway.)

If youā€™re going to make a growth chart poster of a player who is almost seven feet tall, it is outright cheating to make a three-foot poster and tell everyone to hang it four feet above the floor. No. I want a real poster. The Natalie Williams poster on one side of my bedroom door is getting beat up (kind of like Natalie herself in her playing days, come to think of it) and I was hoping to replace it with the Han poster.

If you believe Tiffany Hayesā€™s body language, she nearly died three times this afternoon. Par for the course, really. Between her, Alyssa ā€œwhere weā€™re going we donā€™t need labrumsā€ Thomas and Rebecca ā€œI only broke my rib and punctured my lung a littleā€ Allen, I am a bit concerned about the Connecticut Sunā€™s commitment to saving their players from themselves.

Shoutout to the two busloads of Sun fans who came down for the game. At some point weā€™ll return the favor, Iā€™m sure, but not in a season where our games at Mohegan are a Wednesday morning in the preseason and 7PM on a Tuesday and a Thursday. Funny how our games at Mohegan always seem to be midweek games. (There was a Saturday game in 2021, when I doubt anyone was willingly getting on a bus with a bunch of strangers. Before that? The last time the Liberty played at Connecticut on a weekend was 2015, which was the year that someone in the Sun group sales office probably got fired, possibly out of a cannon, because they seated the Liberty bus in the section behind the Sun bench. SUS AF.)

(And yes, I did just go back through seven seasons of WNBA schedules on basketball-reference, and I did just cross-reference my own Game Notes of Doom {and count the number of times I said ā€œI am never going to Connecticut on a Camp Day againā€, because it is >1}. Because if Iā€™m gonna talk shit, bitch is gonna have the receipts.)

We dared Natisha Hiedeman to shoot, and for the most part it went well. Connecticut doesnā€™t have a lot of defensive vulnerabilities, but once we found them we committed acts of unspeakable carnage upon them.

Now we get to see how this team reacts on the road, and how Marine fits into the scheme. Iā€™m intrigued and nervous and excited and is it Tuesday yet?

PostPosted: 05/27/23 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
But goddamn this team is fun to watch when theyā€™re in gear.

Sloot reminded us all she could score the ball, and Stewie filled the stat sheet, but have we talked enough about the work Kayla Thornton did on the glass and on defense today? Sheā€™s so tough and sheā€™s amazing and I love her.

Also I think this is the first time, or at least the longest amount of time, Iā€™ve seen Nyara Sabally play, and now I understand the hype. She brings an element of physicality that, for all our post congestion, none of the other bigs really seem to match. She thicc.

Now we get to see how this team reacts on the road, and how Marine fits into the scheme. Iā€™m intrigued and nervous and excited and is it Tuesday yet?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

PostPosted: 05/27/23 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Most overrated multiple-time All-Star in WNBA history.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/27/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If you believe Tiffany Hayesā€™s body language, she nearly died three times this afternoon. Par for the course, really. Between her, Alyssa ā€œwhere weā€™re going we donā€™t need labrumsā€ Thomas and Rebecca ā€œI only broke my rib and punctured my lung a littleā€ Allen, I am a bit concerned about the Connecticut Sunā€™s commitment to saving their players from themselves.

Great post through and through, but this paragraph is hilarious. Very Happy

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 05/27/23 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THOROUGHLY enjoyable post, Queenie!

Sabally looked great today, I was impressed.

I'm fully on the Libs bandwagon this year. Just so much fun to watch and I'm a massive fan of like 3/4 of their roster. It still feels like I'm watching an all-star game seeing all of them on the same team.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/28/23 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Floor time takes on a whole different meaning when referring to Hayes.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/28/23 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only read Liberty threads just to read Queenie's posts. She never disappoints with her eloquence and humor.

PostPosted: 05/29/23 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know what Dijonai Carrington did to end up in the doghouse?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: