RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What are you looking forward to in college WBB in 2023-24?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Not a coaching change, but I do have a question.

Who enters next season on the hot seat?

Nikki Collen at Baylor would be near the top of my list.
Maybe Joni Taylor at A&M, if things don’t get any better there.
Carolyn Kieger at Penn State?
Charmin Smith at Cal?
Scott Rueck at Oregon State?
Amanda Butler at Clemson?
Natasha Adair after an awful showing at ASU?
Kelly Graves at Oregon?
Amy Williams at Nebraska?
Kyra Elzy at Kentucky?
Robin Pingeton at Missouri?

I’m just throwing out names that could maybe make the list. I don’t believe everyone of these coaches should or would be on the hot seat. Who do you believe should be on the hot seat come next season?

I thought Nebby would be better this year - granted the B1G was loaded. So Williams is probably warm IMHO.

And I think Rueck and Oregon State are on the list.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/23 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be shocked if Rueck got canned.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/23 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
eibln wrote:

Charmin Smith at Cal?
Kelly Graves at Oregon?
Kyra Elzy at Kentucky?

I’m just throwing out names that could maybe make the list. I don’t believe everyone of these coaches should or would be on the hot seat. Who do you believe should be on the hot seat come next season?

I thought Nebby would be better this year - granted the B1G was loaded. So Williams is probably warm IMHO.

Butler and Kieger probablu ought to be. Their teams are mired in the mud toward the bottom of their conferences. I have mixed feelings about Elzy--she's really trying, but may not be HC material yet. I love her and would not mind my granddaughter playing for her, but she's showed some poor character judgment in some of the players she recruits. Pingeton I dislike greatly for reasons not entirely related to on-court stuff, although she tolerates and perhaps encourages dirty play; she's a homophobe at heart and some of her off the cuff statements have definitely shown it, whether she "tolerates" lesbian players or not. Also she's been mired in the lower half of the SEC as long as Mizzou's been there. Some of the rest haven't had enough time to build their own program--I would include Williams and Adair and maybe Smith and Taylor there, as a coach needs some time to put their own stamp on a program. Collen and Rueckk? Definitely NAH.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
eibln wrote:

Charmin Smith at Cal?
Kelly Graves at Oregon?
Kyra Elzy at Kentucky?

Butler and Kieger probablu ought to be. Their teams are mired in the mud toward the bottom of their conferences. I have mixed feelings about Elzy--she's really trying, but may not be HC material yet. I love her and would not mind my granddaughter playing for her, but she's showed some poor character judgment in some of the players she recruits. Pingeton I dislike greatly for reasons not entirely related to on-court stuff, although she tolerates and perhaps encourages dirty play; she's a homophobe at heart and some of her off the cuff statements have definitely shown it, whether she "tolerates" lesbian players or not. Also she's been mired in the lower half of the SEC as long as Mizzou's been there. Some of the rest haven't had enough time to build their own program--I would include Williams and Adair and maybe Smith and Taylor there, as a coach needs some time to put their own stamp on a program. Collen and Rueckk? Definitely NAH.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:

Charmin Smith at Cal?
Kelly Graves at Oregon?
Kyra Elzy at Kentucky?

Baylor's used to a winning culture so yeah, sure they're mad. Collen's been there 2 years and they've haven't won the Big12 championship since skeltor left (which was they're thing). But you have to give her time. Same for Taylor at Texas A&M...too many injuries. Butler at Clemson has won a few good games, but I wouldn't kill her yet. Elzy at Kentucky not just yet.

Oregon has been crap for a while. Pingeton stays in the WNIT - I would've fired her ages ago. Smith at Cal - there's too much talent on the West Coast for her not to be able to tap in.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Any early rankings?

Guessing LSU starts at #1. UConn should be in the top few. I imagine Virginia Tech, Stanford, Ohio State, Iowa, Louisville will be up there too.

Way too early top 25:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36044329/womens-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2023-24

1. UConn
2. Utah
3. LSU Shocked
4. Iowa

Oh, my....some *Angel* shit gonna hit the fan if she sees ^THIS!^ Laughing

Milks26 wrote:
Oregon has been crap for a while.

I have no idea what your definition of "crap" or "a while" might be but - though Oregon had a downhill season in contrast to their recent past - they did still have a 20-win season. A mere 3 years ago, they were the #1 ranked team. Not crap, and not for a long time. (are you confusing them with Oregon STATE?)

On that note, I'm hoping for some brighter prospects for the Ducks. GVS and Gray AND (hopefullyamuchimproved) Kyei is a good foundation. I see Kelly also landed a JCC standout guard for next season, too.

From a broader perspective, YA....improving the quality of officials should be a real point of emphasis by the NCAA. I'm curious: I don't follow the men's game - do fans there kvetch much about their reffing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: