RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 commits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
#1 Juju Watkins commits to the USC Trojans

Everyone breathes a sigh of relief other than Stanford and South Carolina.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prosper, Hidalgo and Risch. I'll take that class and be happy.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Recall that Ivey was McGraw's main recruiter for many years. But just because she keeps what she's doing close to the vest rather than hyping her efforts to ESPN and on social media, people seem to assume she's not attracting any recruits.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/22 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2023 High School Naismith Award watch list is out.

https://naismithtrophy.com/2023-jersey-mikes-naismith-high-school-trophy-girls-watch-list-announced/

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/15/22 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Prosper, Hidalgo and Risch. I'll take that class and be happy.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Recall that Ivey was McGraw's main recruiter for many years. But just because she keeps what she's doing close to the vest rather than hyping her efforts to ESPN and on social media, people seem to assume she's not attracting any recruits.

Okay. Duke is back to competing with Stanford and ND for the great players with high academic goals.We'll start getting our share again. I'm fine with having a coach looking to stay in tune with all that's important to these young women.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/15/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But let’s be honest here: does it matter anymore where a player starts out? Maybe things will chill out once the players with the extra COVID year have finished moving through the system, but what are the odds of... any player, really, staying at the same school for her entire career anymore?

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/15/22 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie’s right. The “recruiting” process with any given player now is practically something that stretches multiple years after a player has their first practice on campus. The job of courting a player is absolutely not done once the player signs their NLI anymore.

Not to mention, some coaches apparently let a player know implicitly when they want certain less-integral players off their roster to make room for better talent (so I’ve heard anyway).

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/15/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
But let’s be honest here: does it matter anymore where a player starts out? Maybe things will chill out once the players with the extra COVID year have finished moving through the system, but what are the odds of... any player, really, staying at the same school for her entire career anymore?

For Stanford it matters. Players transfer out but very, very few transfer in.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/12/22 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw on the news that Prosper is coming to ND early. Will be eligible in January. It was on WSBT. I didn't see it on their website.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/12/22 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Just saw on the news that Prosper is coming to ND early. Will be eligible in January. It was on WSBT. I didn't see it on their website.

https://und.com/five-star-signee-cassandre-prosper-to-enroll-early/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/13/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Chloe Kitts enrolled early at South Carolina, and just moved in to her dorm room yesterday or so. She's expected to start practicing with the team immediately, and should be on the team bench Thursday in Sioux Falls, SD when the Gamecocks play South Dakota State......

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/14/22 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Chloe Kitts enrolled early at South Carolina, and just moved in to her dorm room yesterday or so. She's expected to start practicing with the team immediately, and should be on the team bench Thursday in Sioux Falls, SD when the Gamecocks play South Dakota State......

This is such an interesting phenomenon to me

Personally, I hate to see a kid lose out on all the fun/memories of your last 6 months of high school, but I also totally get why they do it. They've worked their entire lives for this and it's their passion, so follow your dreams.

Will she play this season?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/14/22 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Personally, I hate to see a kid lose out on all the fun/memories of your last 6 months of high school, but I also totally get why they do it. They've worked their entire lives for this and it's their passion, so follow your dreams.

For some kids, high school just isn't all that. I hated it. So did my little brother after my parents moved right before his senior year. So do a lot of kids---some are too mature for it, some can't stand the regimentation, some hate the social pressures---lots of things. Your experience isn't every kid's. Lighten up.

PostPosted: 12/14/22 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I think you have an obsolete notion of what school is to some of these kids. Kitts isn't in high school in any traditional sense. For the past six months or more she's been training with basketball coaches, working out with trainers and taking online courses. That's it. She's made it clear that to her it's all about making pro. Her dad told a newspaper:

“Her personality is more of a business mindset,” said her father, Jason Kitts. “And the reason why is because she learned how to manage her time. And she learned how to develop a mindset of, ‘OK, this is what I have to do to do what I want to do.’ Because a lot of people want to go to college, but do they really want to be a pro."

I don't think she was worrying about buying a prom dress.

This is like what young tennis star potential pros have been doing for years, especially girls.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/14/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it should seem obvious, this article on Hidalgo shows why coaches showing up to watch games matter:

https://sh3gotgame.com/blogs/news/why-no-5-player-and-no-1-pg-hannah-hildago-committed-to-notre-dame

Hidalgo mentions while many teams often called her to check in not many were willing to travel to see her games live. Notre Dame was the exception because they appeared live in several games throughout the year.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/14/22 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
While it should seem obvious, this article on Hidalgo shows why coaches showing up to watch games matter:

https://sh3gotgame.com/blogs/news/why-no-5-player-and-no-1-pg-hannah-hildago-committed-to-notre-dame

Hidalgo mentions while many teams often called her to check in not many were willing to travel to see her games live. Notre Dame was the exception because they appeared live in several games throughout the year.

I remember reading a story of how Niele ended up at ND.

She was wanting to go to North Carolina. Went to their camp and Hatchel was there on the first day for a little bit and maybe the last day.

When she went to ND, the coaches were there all day, every day. Muffet would go to St. Louis to watch Niele play pick up games.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/27/22 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I wonder how many current WNBA starters attended more than one school?

I can't think of one starting player* in the W, ever, that transferred out of UConn.
There will be a lot of "transfers" as long as the COVID year players can get a 5th. Once that era ends the overall talent level available in the portal will shrink a lot and the number of "poison pills" will increase as a % of the total.

* EDD was on campus for 2 days in June before going home and playing for Delaware.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/27/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I can't think of one starting player* in the W, ever, that transferred out of UConn.
There will be a lot of "transfers" as long as the COVID year players can get a 5th. Once that era ends the overall talent level available in the portal will shrink a lot and the number of "poison pills" will increase as a % of the total.

* EDD was on campus for 2 days in June before going home and playing for Delaware.

Is/was Jess Shepherd ever a starter for the Lynx?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/28/22 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cassandre Prosper is on board, on the roster, and wearing #4.

Now we get to wait and see when she plays. ND is at Miami tomorrow at 6pm on the ACC Network. The Cassandre watch is on.

https://und.com/sports/wbball/roster/season/2022-23/player/cassandre-prosper/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/28/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Is/was Jess Shepherd ever a starter for the Lynx?

She started 22 of the 36 games this year.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/28/22 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I assume that there are several women who have started games in the WNBA that attended more than one college. Like ExRef mentioned, Jess Shepard. Also, among recent graduates:

Jonquel Jones
Lexie Brown
Alexis Jones
Allisha Gray
Kaela Davis
Diamond DeShields
Te'a Cooper
Emily Engstler
DiJonai Carrington
Aari McDonald
Shakira Austin
Azure Stevens

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/27/23 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grace Grocholski, the 2023 HoopGurlz #98-ranked prospect, has switched her commitment from West Virginia to Minnesota

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1640131640839098369

Quote:
Former West Virginia signee Grace Grocholski, 5-10 W, Kettle Moraine HS (Wales, WI), has announced her commitment to Minnesota WBB, following head coach Dawn Plitzuweit there; Grocholski was originally committed to Arizona State before the coaching change there in March 2022

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Grace Grocholski, the 2023 HoopGurlz #98-ranked prospect, has switched her commitment from West Virginia to Minnesota

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1640131640839098369

Quote:
Former West Virginia signee Grace Grocholski, 5-10 W, Kettle Moraine HS (Wales, WI), has announced her commitment to Minnesota WBB, following head coach Dawn Plitzuweit there; Grocholski was originally committed to Arizona State before the coaching change there in March 2022

Whalen signed 5 (highest class in Minn. history) and if all 5 stay with Plitzuweit plus what they have coming back, I'm interested to see how the roster shakes out for Minn.

Update: actually with one of 5 signees being a preferred walk-on, one transfer out (Alanna Micheaux, and Katie Borowicz having medically retired, it looks like roster management won't be quite the challenge I initially thought.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/22/23 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Disappointing to see that UCLA really couldn't follow-up their top 2022 class with any top 2023 recruits, esp. bigs.

then you must’ve missed 6-4 post and #32 overall prospect Amanda Muse commit to UCLA back in the spring

while Muse is currently the Bruins' only 2023 commit, perhaps it’s better to have a smaller class this year so that Close & Co. can focus on developing this year’s heralded class together

Close has got it such that this UCLA wbb program can attract talent whenever they need to, which may be even more true when the school-wide move to the B1G happens

I see that, but I think the best odds for UCLA would be to follow-up a class with another top 10 kid or two to really solidify their success. Hopefully they land Ju Ju Watkins, for their sake and to team Kiki Rice up with a really top tier running mate. They really missed out on Breya Cunningam.

We so often see these (let's call them not top 10) schools put together a top tier recruiting class and then can't back it up.

and you were worried for what? i'll repeat: Close has got it to where this UCLA wbb program can attract talent whenever they need to. i do wonder how Amanda Muse feels about UCLA unexpectedly landing Lauren Betts, someone better in her position group, who'll likely take minutes/opportunity away from Muse. maybe supportive regardless... maybe not.

UCLA may or may not be a top-10 program, but they're without question a top-10 recruiter. even top-5. and that ain't changin' anytime soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: