RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Shoni Schimmel update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/23 10:44 am    ::: Shoni Schimmel update Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/shoni-schimmel-basketball-domestic-violence.html

Quote:
In June, she is scheduled to go on trial in federal court in Portland, Ore., on charges of assault. She is accused of strangling her romantic partner, a Native woman, in June 2021, and committing further assault that caused “substantial bodily injury.”

PostPosted: 03/15/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a shame.

I hope the victim is okay and I hope she can make the changes she needs in life.

I miss seeing her out on the court even if those days are long since passed.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She could easily still be playing. She was in the 2014 draft. 75% of that year's first rounders are still in the league, including a couple who were taken after her..

PostPosted: 03/17/23 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so sad. so many coulda woulda shoulda's there...and talent wasted.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/18/23 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aside from a domestic violence charge, it feels like Chennedy Carter is the next Shoni Schimmel when it comes to being a one-of-a-kind guard with so much raw talent who can't stay in the league because of who she is as a person.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/18/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another thing Carter has over Schimmel is that she at least seems to keep herself in shape. Schimmel never seemed to care about her conditioning, which turned a bad defender into a truly atrocious one. From the clips I've seen of Carter in Turkey, she's in shape to play.

PostPosted: 04/01/23 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Another thing Carter has over Schimmel is that she at least seems to keep herself in shape. Schimmel never seemed to care about her conditioning, which turned a bad defender into a truly atrocious one. From the clips I've seen of Carter in Turkey, she's in shape to play.

It’s a stretch to compare these two players in any way.

Schimmel’s situation seems deeper and darker and potentially denotes criminal activity, physically harming a human being.

Carter’s issue isn’t her physical fitness or basketball skills. She’s never been a great teammate and the red flags popped for me when her upperclassmen teammates at Texas A&M transferred away (Anriel Howard to Miss State and the shooting guard to Texas) rather than stay in College Station for their final seasons. Karen Bryant and Curt Miller are keen to return the Sparks to championships and Carter is simply not going to cut it for the drama she brings.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/01/23 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Schimmel’s situation seems deeper and darker and potentially denotes criminal activity, physically harming a human being.

Carter’s issue isn’t her physical fitness or basketball skills. She’s never been a great teammate and the red flags popped for me when her upperclassmen teammates at Texas A&M transferred away (Anriel Howard to Miss State and the shooting guard to Texas) rather than stay in College Station for their final seasons. Karen Bryant and Curt Miller are keen to return the Sparks to championships and Carter is simply not going to cut it for the drama she brings.

jap

PostPosted: 04/02/23 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

But, but, but Chennedy says she's a changed women. You are not gonna hold it against her that she said this on April Fools' Fay, would you? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/04/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Aside from a domestic violence charge, it feels like Chennedy Carter is the next Shoni Schimmel when it comes to being a one-of-a-kind guard with so much raw talent who can't stay in the league because of who she is as a person.

I haven't been following Carter. Even on Twitter, folks speak about her in circles. What has she done to gain a negative reputation in the W? I'm lost.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Imagine having alllllll that talent and not caring about your shitty attitude that you run the risk of no team wanting you. The level of arrogance and narcissism is crazy.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chennedy Carter is closer to Brandy Reed than she is to Schimmel, including the Planet sized ego.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I haven't been following Carter. Even on Twitter, folks speak about her in circles. What has she done to gain a negative reputation in the W? I'm lost.

Her teammates (multiple teams) don't seem to like her. Coaches & GMs seem to want to get her off their roster. You can do the math here. She had a direct physical confrontation with a teammate in Atlanta, but most of it seems to be she's seems incapable of sustaining a positive relationship. Angel McCoughtry tried, but she gave up on her.

~rAf
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 04/04/23 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Her teammates (multiple teams) don't seem to like her. Coaches & GMs seem to want to get her off their roster. You can do the math here. She had a direct physical confrontation with a teammate in Atlanta, but most of it seems to be she's seems incapable of sustaining a positive relationship. Angel McCoughtry tried, but she gave up on her.

I see. Thank you.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Chennedy Carter is closer to Brandy Reed than she is to Schimmel, including the Planet sized ego.

That is very true! I remember Planet Reed well.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Her teammates (multiple teams) don't seem to like her...

Has anybody gone on the record, or is this all innuendo?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/23 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Her teammates (multiple teams) don't seem to like her...

Has anybody gone on the record, or is this all innuendo?

Some of it is innuendo and observation. For me:
a)when she had the altercation in Atlanta, several of her teammates came out in support of the other player.
b) when she was at A&M, she was clearly me-me-me on the floor. I noticed the looks on teammates faces when she got in their faces. And then several transferred. (and this was before everybody and his dog transferred yearly)

who knows, maybe she has learned better how to be a good teammate or even how to fake it. People do grow up and make some changes. She's def. talented.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Some of it is innuendo and observation. For me:
a)when she had the altercation in Atlanta, several of her teammates came out in support of the other player.

I guess. If this is the strongest evidence, it's kind of thin, to me. Just because you support someone in an altercation doesn't mean that you don't like the other person; you can like someone and still think that they're out of pocket.

Quote:
b) when she was at A&M, she was clearly me-me-me on the floor. I noticed the looks on teammates faces when she got in their faces.

This is a rather more damning indictment but, absent a statement on the record, it's still kind of starting from the position of "Nobody likes her," and then working your take backwards from there.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that maybe we don't know much for sure. But damn, at some point there's so much smoke, from so many places, that it's hard to believe something isn't at least a little on fire.

She put up 17.4p/3.4a/2.3r as a rookie on 47%/38% splits. Two years later she's been waived, went unclaimed, and is currently out of the league despite apparently being entirely physically healthy to play. Something's up.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her issues are not new. It followed her from college to the pros. I'm sure it didn't help that old man Gary Blair was her coach. He could've have controlled that girl.

The league is toooo small for ppl not to talk

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
The league is toooo small for ppl not to talk

So why isn't anybody saying anything? Or is it that they are, but they're just not talking to peons like me?

zune69

PostPosted: 04/06/23 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carter has been vilified for getting into an altercation with another player...However, the player she got into the altercation with has had run-ins with multiple players and participated in a food Trick brawl...The aforementioned player has been on 4 teams in 5 years (Conn,ATL,Conn,CHI).......People say multiple teammates sided with the other player...Well, that's not all that surprising...The player at the time was a 6th-year vet while Carter was in her 2nd season...Said player also had a great relationship with the minority owner and was attending the owner's events.

Carter needs to mature but I'm not going to put all of the blame on her.....Also, Sykes was very supportive of Carter when they played together in LA.

jap

PostPosted: 04/08/23 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still love you, Chennedy, even with that eternal pouty countenance. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/18/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former WNBA star sentenced in domestic violence case

https://ictnews.org/news/former-wnba-star-sentenced-in-domestic-violence-case

Quote:
She won’t serve time in prison, but will pay restitution and attend a domestic violence treatment program.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: