RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seeds by poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/19 7:45 am    ::: Seeds by poll Reply Reply with quote

AP Poll, that is

All Time

This year

PostPosted: 03/19/19 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notes

The 1982 tournament is not included, as a few ranked teams played in the final AIAW tournament instead

NIT means Not In Tournament. Those teams may or may not have played in the actual NIT.

The rows don't add up the same because their have been ties in the poll and because the AP Poll was only 20 places until 1990.

The columns don't add up because we've had unranked teams seeded as high as a #3.

PostPosted: 03/19/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What was the #10 AP that got a #1 seed?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Tennessee in 1983

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Tennessee in 1983

Figures!

How’d they do in that tournament?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Tennessee in 1983

Figures!

How’d they do in that tournament?

They lost to Georgia in the regional finals, 67-63. Georgia proceeded to lose to the eventual national champions USC in the Final Four. Tennessee did take triple overtime to beat Mississippi in the regional semifinals.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More notes

The highest any unranked team has been seeded is #3, which happened once. Oregon got a #3 seed in 1984. Seven unranked teams have gotten #4 seeds, most recently Michigan State in 1991.

As you can see, four ranked teams have been left out of the tournament. All came before the field expanded to 64 teams. The last one was #23 Hawaii in 1993.

The two teams that were ranked #1 in the poll but didn't get a #1 seed were Texas in 1984 and Stanford in 2005. The committee proved smarter than the pollsters both times, as each of them was eliminated before the F4 by a #1 seed.

This the second consecutive year that the #2 team in the poll got a #2 seed. Last year Baylor was #2 in the final AP Poll.

PostPosted: 03/19/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually think reducing the number of teams would make sense. Have a play-in round for all the 13-16 teams...or even 9-16. I know this will never happen, but still I think it. It would give some of the lower seeds a chance to at least win a game.

- Amanda Gorman
Phil

PostPosted: 03/21/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I actually think reducing the number of teams would make sense. Have a play-in round for all the 13-16 teams...or even 9-16. I know this will never happen, but still I think it. It would give some of the lower seeds a chance to at least win a game.

I suspect many would agree that reducing the number of teams would make sense. But I equally expect that most will agree this is not likely to happen due to political considerations.

I do like the play-in option and I will get to that in more detail shortly.

If you think about why you might want fewer teams, two reasons come to mind.

One reason is that there are some teams that just don't seem qualified to be playing in such a tournament. A second reason, which is related to the first, is that the usual way of playing a 64 game tournament is to have the one versus 16, two versus 15 etc. in the first round. Many of these games are unwatchable.

The problem with cutting down the field is that if you list the teams who didn't deserve to be in the tournament based upon their ability, you would largely be talking about conference tournament winners. Perhaps a few of the weaker at-large teams but the majority of the unwatchable games involve conference tournament winners. For political reasons, I think it's a nonstarter to suggest eliminating any of those teams from the invitation. After all, the original (men's)tournament included only the conference winners, and then the field expanded with the addition of at-large teams. Eliminating a conference tournament winner seems untenable.

That said, one could invite them to the tournament but reformat the schedule so that some of these teams effectively are in play-in games.

I've put together a proposal which would involve all 64 teams. The top 16 teams get a double bye, the next 16 a single bye, and the bottom 32 play amongst themselves in the first round. (More details on request if anyone cares.)

I did a mathematical analysis showing that under an double by format, we would have more upsets, and more importantly, many more gains would be close.

I wrote this up in a letter to Val Ackerman a few years ago, which should be available at the following link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f37CHXqp32-ujvduHmOldgJWkpUZcwA6KeyZUZLnN9M/edit?usp=sharing

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Case in point

I've been counting down the days, the hours, and the minutes until this tournament starts and then we get Louisville - Robert Morris?

No offense to either team, but Louisville's frankly not playing all that well and they are still up 21-4. It's no longer watchable.

Wouldn't we all be better off if Robert Morris was playing (9 seed) Kansas State? Kansas State probably wins that game but at least it has a fighting chance of being an interesting game.

With a double bye tournament Robert Morris would be playing Kansas State right now, and it might be worth watching.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only problem with the bye/double bye thing is that seeding, which is already political, becomes too important. People whine about seeds now when all it affects is your path to the title. Ultimately teams still have to win six games regardless of where they're seeded. You're proposing the committee be in charge of giving some teams an actual advantage. That's asking for favoritism, cronyism, and corruption (to say nothing of the committee's questionable competence in the first place).

PostPosted: 03/22/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

As you can see, four ranked teams have been left out of the tournament. All came before the field expanded to 64 teams. The last one was #23 Hawaii in 1993.

I was going to say that ND in 1991 (my senior year) was one of them, but before I did I double checked and apparently my memory isn't quite accurate on that score (although it was close).

ND was #22 in the last week of the regular season, but lost 79-76 at Dayton before the MCC tournament, which knocked them out of the rankings (They had spent most of the season ranked after beating #11 La Tech at the end of Dec that year and stayed in the rankings all season up until the week of their conference tournament). ND did win the MCC Tournament, but that conference (now the Horizon) didn't have an automatic bid that year. That year was the first year the program had been ranked.

And as a nice ironic twist, the following year was ND's only losing season under McGraw, but they ended up winning the MCC Tournament and the NCAA decided that year to give the MCC conference a bid, so ND's first NCAA Tournament bid was during a losing season (14-17).

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/22/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The only problem with the bye/double bye thing is that seeding, which is already political, becomes too important. People whine about seeds now when all it affects is your path to the title. Ultimately teams still have to win six games regardless of where they're seeded. You're proposing the committee be in charge of giving some teams an actual advantage. That's asking for favoritism, cronyism, and corruption (to say nothing of the committee's questionable competence in the first place).

There actually used to be byes in the NCAAs.

Back in the day there were fewer teams selected. From 1982-85 there were only 32 teams. In 1986 it expanded to 40 (top 6 seeds in each regional got byes). From 1989-93 48 teams were selected (the top 4 seeds in each region had a 1st round bye). The first year they had 64 was 1994.

But then again, you're Pilight, so you probably already knew that... Wink

Just mentioning it to inform others.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 update

This is the first time since 2017 that the #2 team got a #1 seed!

The last time the #6 team got a #1 seed was 2009 (Duke)

#22 Ohio State is the first ranked team to not be in the tournament since it was expanded to 64 teams. The last one was #23 Hawaii in 1993.

Unranked #5 seeds are pretty common. Last time we had more than one was 2017, when we actually had three.

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is fascinating, and I certainly have thoughts. Just pointing out though that Ohio State is banned from the post-season this year which explains why they didn't make the field.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How have teams ranked #6 in the polls done when getting a #1 seed?

The first #6 team to get a #1 seed was Virginia in 1986. As you all know, they lost at home in the second round to James Madison.

Next was Stanford in 1993. They lost in the regional semis to Colorado.

After that came Vanderbilt in 1995. The lost to Purdue in the regional semis.

Then was Texas Tech in 1998. They lost at home in the second round to Notre Dame.

The last one was Duke in 2009. They lost in the second round to Michigan State.

Five times a team ranked #6 in the polls got a #1 seed and all five got upset before the Elite 8. Most didn't even reach the Sweet 16. Not a good omen for South Carolina fans.

PostPosted: 03/18/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice research, thanks

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/22 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2022 update

This is the first time the top three seeds went exactly according to poll

PostPosted: 03/13/23 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2023 update

Iowa is the first #3 team to get a #2 seed since Maryland in 2006. IIRC that worked out well for the Terps.

Tennessee's #4 seed matches the highest ever given to the #24 team. The last #24 team to get a #4 seed was Virginia in 2008.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, who was the 10th ranked team that got a 1 seed?
pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Tennessee in 1983

The seeds have generally matched the poll much more closely than they did the first few years of the tournament.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Tennessee in 1983

They made but lost to Georgia in the E8.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/24 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2024 update

Fairfield's #13 seed matches the lowest ever received by a ranked team

PostPosted: 03/19/24 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fairfield is an anomaly.

There was a concerted campaign, perhaps in many social media places but I saw it in X, lobbying for a ranking. Voters apparently were swayed, and it didn't hurt that the coach is Mike Thibault daughter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: