RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Aces under investigation for circumventing the salary cap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/20/23 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Did it ever occur to any of you that players might take less to play for a championship team with the visability of the Aces. They could make that up in indorsements, which I believe playing in the championship series certainly gives them. Its not like every player is totally limited to the salary they make from their WNBA team. Last I heard getting endorsments was not against the rules.

There’s a difference between some players and what appears to be the entire Aces rotation. There’s a difference between endorsements (which we probably would have seen or heard about on social media) and no-show jobs (as described in the article).

As a Liberty fan... honestly, if the league has a reason to investigate my team, I want them to do it. I want to know if we did things right or if my franchise betrayed me. or if we were at least smart enough not to get caught

PostPosted: 02/20/23 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
craigmont wrote:
The point is that we don't know if there have been side deals in the past and around the league. We may never.

Sure, innocent until proven guilty, but this is a big can of worms the league may not want opened.

Disagree, unlike many sports, the WNBA has actually been quite open about individual player salaries. Anyone with basic math skills can see how team rosters deal with the salary cap. Yes. I can remember when the star laden Lynx roster featured several players accepting salaries under their deserved max, but those few thousands were peanuts compared to the Aces. Remember also that the Lynx played an honest game, which forced them to trade off Howard. The pattern is clear; Gray, Plum, and Jackie Young are each giving up $25-35k/year. Parker and Clark are giving up more than double that amount, but, as I discussed earlier, a big tell is Kia Stokes playing for a pittance of $81K (and Riq $90k last year). There have been isolated cases like Bird (see above), but I do not remember such gross impropriety anywhere ever. This is clear corruption, and IMO, threatens league integrity. Amazing how other teams are forced to count pennies to barely squeeze under the cap (most recently Ct). Ironically, the Aces are helped this year by presence of another super team, so they have no cakewalk.

I don't know how you can say, without any evidence, that the Aces are clearly corrupt but everyone else is completely innocent. We can't possibly know that.

Think of it this way- IF the allegations against the Aces are true, how likely is it that no one else has ever done anything like it before?

A scandal like this is the last thing this league needs. I won't be too surprised if we're told "inconclusive" or "nothing to see here" and I will be mildly surprised if we get full transparency.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/20/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
canadaball wrote:
craigmont wrote:
The point is that we don't know if there have been side deals in the past and around the league. We may never.

Sure, innocent until proven guilty, but this is a big can of worms the league may not want opened.

Disagree, unlike many sports, the WNBA has actually been quite open about individual player salaries. Anyone with basic math skills can see how team rosters deal with the salary cap. Yes. I can remember when the star laden Lynx roster featured several players accepting salaries under their deserved max, but those few thousands were peanuts compared to the Aces. Remember also that the Lynx played an honest game, which forced them to trade off Howard. The pattern is clear; Gray, Plum, and Jackie Young are each giving up $25-35k/year. Parker and Clark are giving up more than double that amount, but, as I discussed earlier, a big tell is Kia Stokes playing for a pittance of $81K (and Riq $90k last year). There have been isolated cases like Bird (see above), but I do not remember such gross impropriety anywhere ever. This is clear corruption, and IMO, threatens league integrity. Amazing how other teams are forced to count pennies to barely squeeze under the cap (most recently Ct). Ironically, the Aces are helped this year by presence of another super team, so they have no cakewalk.

I don't know how you can say, without any evidence, that the Aces are clearly corrupt but everyone else is completely innocent. We can't possibly know that.

Think of it this way- IF the allegations against the Aces are true, how likely is it that no one else has ever done anything like it before?

A scandal like this is the last thing this league needs. I won't be too surprised if we're told "inconclusive" or "nothing to see here" and I will be mildly surprised if we get full transparency.

I mean..less likely than you’d think.

Clearly the Aces owner is invested in having a great team - and has the money to make things happen.

How many owners fit that description. Tsai?

not to say that it couldn’t have happened, but you’d need a certain circumstance for it to happen.

PostPosted: 02/20/23 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
canadaball wrote:
craigmont wrote:

You are missing the point. The salary #'s speak for themselves. In the history of the W, we have never seen a roster where every key player (non rookie deals) is playing for $30-100k less than what other teams would pay them. The W gets much grief for their low pay compared to other pro sports (I don't want to open that can of worms here), but it is funny that the WNBA is the only league featuring a team where a huge % of players is taking pay cuts....then again, it is a lot easier to funnel a no show job to, say, Chelsea, replacing the $35k she gives up each year, than pay some NBA player 20% of a multi million dollar salary. In answer to those who explain this uniquely LV phenomena by talking winning titles, I think you overlook that the competitive nature of sports (players and agents) usually carries over to salaries. Sure, a Tom Brady, Stew, or Sue Bird will take less, but their pockets are stuffed anyway. I find it hard to believe that Clark (already has 2 titles) is giving up $100k in 2 year deal to chase a third title coming off bench. I'll go even further, Any follower of the WNBA knows that injuries often determine team fate. My rule of thumb is 65-80% of rosters each year suffer a major loss. This is one reason it is so hard to repeat. if things were legit, I also find it hard to believe that so many players would give up 6 figures (over multiple years) to chase a title,

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/20/23 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
You are missing the point. The salary #'s speak for themselves. In the history of the W, we have never seen a roster where every key player (non rookie deals) is playing for $30-100k less than what other teams would pay them.

Is that not kind of a meaningless statement considering how recently it is that we've had access to reliable salary numbers?
"In the history of the W" we have mostly been completely in the dark, so who knows what has occurred.

PostPosted: 02/21/23 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm only on page 1 of this thread as a I type this...

So, IF it was Hamby's social media message, or her agent dropping a dime to the WNBA... is it only because Hamby didn't get the under-the-table compensation she was "promised" ? If she had been retained, would this even come out?

PostPosted: 02/21/23 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I'm only on page 1 of this thread as a I type this...

So, IF it was Hamby's social media message, or her agent dropping a dime to the WNBA... is it only because Hamby didn't get the under-the-table compensation she was "promised" ? If she had been retained, would this even come out?

Here is quote from Hamby: "I was promised things to entice me to sign my contract extension that were not followed through on."

Uh, what do you think happened? The Aces, incredibly, have made no statements on this matter. Where are the probing ?'s that good reporters should be pressing? If the WNBA aspires to be a major sport, there should be big league media coverage on what may be the biggest scandal in W history. Enough cheerleading (u don't see it in male sports). How about confronting players like Gray, Wilson, Plum, Young, Clark, and Stokes asking them why they all are leaving tens of thousands on table for multiple years.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/21/23 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the players in the WNBA make most of their yearly salaries elsewhere. Why was Griner playing in Russia? Many of the players who played in the WNBA certainly were not doing so to get rich. Much of their over seas salaries were based on the status they acquired playing in the WNBA. That as well as the visability the league provides for endorsements. That has been a contention for years that they want the league to raise their salaries so that they do not have to play over seas.

We also know that players often take less, based on the city and opportunities a team provides in various professional leagues. Its no secret that Young, Plum and Gray stated that they wanted to stay together and were willing to take less. LV is a city that is loaded with entertainment and money that flows from it. It is no secret that being located in such a city would reap potential opertunities, rewards and perks. Where is the line between indorsements and other simular local based income that would obvously not be available in most other league cities. Does anyone not think this sort of situation does not happen in other sports? They thing is it is just less likely in the WNBA.

We need to remember that this is not the NCAA. They have different standard in respect to professional sports. I seriously doubt the rules are written that restrictive to not allow what might be taking place. Because of the low salaries of the WNBA they could not create such rigid restrictions and keep their players. To close any loop holes they would also eliminate most outside income and the players would not like that at all.

PostPosted: 02/21/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Most of the players in the WNBA make most of their yearly salaries elsewhere. Why was Griner playing in Russia? Many of the players who played in the WNBA certainly were not doing so to get rich. Much of their over seas salaries were based on the status they acquired playing in the WNBA. That as well as the visability the league provides for endorsements. That has been a contention for years that they want the league to raise their salaries so that they do not have to play over seas.

We also know that players often take less, based on the city and opportunities a team provides in various professional leagues. Its no secret that Young, Plum and Gray stated that they wanted to stay together and were willing to take less. LV is a city that is loaded with entertainment and money that flows from it. It is no secret that being located in such a city would reap potential opertunities, rewards and perks. Where is the line between indorsements and other simular local based income that would obvously not be available in most other league cities. Does anyone not think this sort of situation does not happen in other sports? They thing is it is just less likely in the WNBA.

We need to remember that this is not the NCAA. They have different standard in respect to professional sports. I seriously doubt the rules are written that restrictive to not allow what might be taking place. Because of the low salaries of the WNBA they could not create such rigid restrictions and keep their players. To close any loop holes they would also eliminate most outside income and the players would not like that at all.

This take minimizing the LV Aces situation is incorrect. Section XV in the CBA spends paragraphs discussing this team violation (ironically b/c WNBA salaries are so much lower than most other sports, throwing around $30-70k under the table does the trick):

“It shall constitute a violation of Section 1(a) above for a Team (or Team Affiliate) to enter into an agreement or understanding with any sponsor or business partner or third party under which such sponsor, business partner or third party pays or agrees to pay compensation for basketball services (even if such compensation is ostensibly designated as being for non-basketball services) to a player under Contract to the Team. Such an agreement with a sponsor or business partner or third party may be inferred where: (i) such compensation from the sponsor or business partner or third party is substantially in excess of the fair market value of any services to be rendered by the player for such sponsor or business partner or third party; and (ii) the Compensation in the Player Contract between the player and the Team is substantially below the fair market value of such Contract.”

Part (ii) condition obviously met by multiple LV player contracts.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 02/21/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have an opinion on this, but I do love the narrative that Kiah Stokes is worth more than she's being paid. Smile

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/21/23 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
"... Such an agreement with a sponsor or business partner or third party may be inferred where: (i) such compensation from the sponsor or business partner or third party is substantially in excess of the fair market value of any services to be rendered by the player for such sponsor or business partner or third party..."

Okay, but who gets to decide what the "fair market value of any services to be rendered by the player for such sponsor or business partner or third party" is? If I (allegedly) hire a player for a no-show job, who gets to determine what a "fair salary" for that job is?

Quote:
"... and (ii) the Compensation in the Player Contract between the player and the Team is substantially below the fair market value of such Contract.”

And what happens when even a max salary would still be below fair market value? Like, I'm sorry, but a salary system in which Diana Taurasi and DeWanna Bonner were reportedly making within two hundred dollars of each other in 2022 is a system in which Taurasi is underpaid. What is "fair market value" for the Top 5 percent of the league, when the Top 25 percent are all eligible for the same amount of money? I probably shouldn't keep picking on Bonner but, stipulating for the sake of argument that the allegations against Las Vegas are true, what would be "fair market value" for A'ja Wilson, in a league where Bonner is making the super-max?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
canadaball

PostPosted: 02/22/23 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
canadaball wrote:
"... Such an agreement with a sponsor or business partner or third party may be inferred where: (i) such compensation from the sponsor or business partner or third party is substantially in excess of the fair market value of any services to be rendered by the player for such sponsor or business partner or third party..."

Okay, but who gets to decide what the "fair market value of any services to be rendered by the player for such sponsor or business partner or third party" is? If I (allegedly) hire a player for a no-show job, who gets to determine what a "fair salary" for that job is?

Quote:
"... and (ii) the Compensation in the Player Contract between the player and the Team is substantially below the fair market value of such Contract.”

And what happens when even a max salary would still be below fair market value? Like, I'm sorry, but a salary system in which Diana Taurasi and DeWanna Bonner were reportedly making within two hundred dollars of each other in 2022 is a system in which Taurasi is underpaid. What is "fair market value" for the Top 5 percent of the league, when the Top 25 percent are all eligible for the same amount of money? I probably shouldn't keep picking on Bonner but, stipulating for the sake of argument that the allegations against Las Vegas are true, what would be "fair market value" for A'ja Wilson, in a league where Bonner is making the super-max?

There have always been isolated cases of players getting underpaid, usually with special circumstances. Big Syl, for example, was stuck at old max of about $110k, when new CBA meant she could have been making almost double. With the Aces, however, pretty much every significant player (except Wilson still in rookie zone) is playing way, way under their value. A big clue is last year's pay for Parker, Clark, and Stokes. All are taking huge pay cuts from what was presumably their fair market value last year. I guess Parker is in category of Tom Brady and Sue Bird, so taking $100k pay cut can be explained, but what about the others?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/22/23 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
There have always been isolated cases of players getting underpaid, usually with special circumstances. Big Syl, for example, was stuck at old max of about $110k, when new CBA meant she could have been making almost double.

I was already aware that this is a thing that sometimes happens, and that wasn't my question. My question is, essentially, what is "fair market value" for a first-tier star when the maximum amount of money that they can sign for is the exact same as what second and even third-tier stars can sign for? What is "fair market value" for Breanna Stewart when Bonner (sorry that I keep going back to her) is making what she's making? Because I would argue that, whatever DeWanna Bonner's being paid, Breanna Stewart ought to be allowed to sign for at least double that.

It would be different if the salary structure was different but, from my point of view, if Parker had signed a one-year deal for the max, she still would have been paid below market value. There is literally no way under the WNBA's collective bargaining agreement for a player like Candace Parker, between her talent alone and her financial value to the league, to be "fairly" compensated, so I don't see what the big deal is if she takes less money; they can't pay her what she's worth, anyway.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
willtalk

PostPosted: 03/07/23 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is this. The reason that WBB players can make so much more over seas is not based on the gate they bring in but the fact that their salaries are suplemented by Cities, business's and other out side sources. If their salarys were based on attendence alone they would make far less than they would get here.

There is always talk on how the league can afford to keep the players here instead of having to share them with over seas leagues. That will not happen if the money is not increased. Actually the only incentive players have to play in the USA is that playing in the WNBA adds value to what they can command from over seas teams. The other is publicity in respect to advertiseing endoresments in the USA. Now are those contracts linked to basketball. Certainly they are. It is also common knowledge in all sports that playing on a championship team increases a players endorsment value. As does being in the right market.

If the league is trying to keep players in the states, they certainly should not attempt to limit their extra income that comes outside of their teams contract. As I have stated before, Las Vagas is a town that provfdes a lot of these type of opportunities. Other major cities also might be considered as having an advantage over smaller markets. I mean very few players pick the Sun based on their location. They have to rely on the draft to stock their rosters with the better players.

As has been already stated those ristrictions written in that contract are vague enough to provide a lot of wiggle room in respect to extra basketball income. I doubt the core players on the Aces have a problem finding off season employment in a variety of areas. The same goes for players in other cities. Cheney has been involved in broadcasting for years. She initially made that connection in Conn. would that be a breach of rules?

PostPosted: 03/07/23 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
My point is this. The reason that WBB players can make so much more over seas is not based on the gate they bring in but the fact that their salaries are suplemented by Cities, business's and other out side sources. If their salarys were based on attendence alone they would make far less than they would get here.

There is always talk on how the league can afford to keep the players here instead of having to share them with over seas leagues. That will not happen if the money is not increased. Actually the only incentive players have to play in the USA is that playing in the WNBA adds value to what they can command from over seas teams. The other is publicity in respect to advertiseing endoresments in the USA. Now are those contracts linked to basketball. Certainly they are. It is also common knowledge in all sports that playing on a championship team increases a players endorsment value. As does being in the right market.

If the league is trying to keep players in the states, they certainly should not attempt to limit their extra income that comes outside of their teams contract. As I have stated before, Las Vagas is a town that provfdes a lot of these type of opportunities. Other major cities also might be considered as having an advantage over smaller markets. I mean very few players pick the Sun based on their location. They have to rely on the draft to stock their rosters with the better players.

As has been already stated those ristrictions written in that contract are vague enough to provide a lot of wiggle room in respect to extra basketball income. I doubt the core players on the Aces have a problem finding off season employment in a variety of areas. The same goes for players in other cities. Cheney has been involved in broadcasting for years. She initially made that connection in Conn. would that be a breach of rules?

A wink and nod to circumvent the WNBA Salary Cap, a clear violation.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the only difference between players on other teams taking less money to facilitate a stronger over all team in order for it to be successful is the number of players doing so, that is not really a valid reason to imply the Aces are cheating and when the other teams so the same with fewer players its deemed OK. The Aces might just have more players who by into taking lesser salary in order to keep better players.

You see it makes no sense that it becomes illegal purely based on numbers. Better players taking less salary to keep their team strong is not something new in Sports. This has been going not only in the NBA but also in football, where star players take less to not drain their teams of depth. They find that as players on the top teams helps their public visability and increases their earning s in other areas such as endorsement. One reason athletes avoid small markets when the can is that larger markets increase their non basketball earning power. The way these rules might be interpreted would keep players from accepting endorsment contracts.

Now the only way I could see this being a problem is if it involved collusion between the team and the ourtside source of income. That is something that hamby seemed to imply. However since it didn't actually happen it carries little weight.

Players in high school and college are are getting endorsement conracts also based on the visabiility of the teams they play for.

legality aside the league would be beyond stupid to bring sanctions down on their most financially successful team. If they did so it would certainly follow that those same practices would envolve other teams as well and would probable result in the destruction of the league. Well estabished and financially thriving leagues have the option to do this but not a league like the WNBA that is hanging on by their nails.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one is saying the Aces are illegal only because of the number of players doing it. Players are obviously free to sign for whatever numbers they want, within the parameters of the CBA.

Here is where you nailed it:

willtalk wrote:
Now the only way I could see this being a problem is if it involved collusion between the team and the outside source of income.

It's illegal under the CBA for the team to set it up and offer it to free agents.

Quote:
However since it didn't actually happen it carries little weight.

What evidence do you have for this, either way?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
If the only difference between players on other teams taking less money to facilitate a stronger over all team in order for it to be successful is the number of players doing so, that is not really a valid reason to imply the Aces are cheating and when the other teams so the same with fewer players its deemed OK. The Aces might just have more players who by into taking lesser salary in order to keep better players.

You see it makes no sense that it becomes illegal purely based on numbers. Better players taking less salary to keep their team strong is not something new in Sports. This has been going not only in the NBA but also in football, where star players take less to not drain their teams of depth. They find that as players on the top teams helps their public visability and increases their earning s in other areas such as endorsement. One reason athletes avoid small markets when the can is that larger markets increase their non basketball earning power. The way these rules might be interpreted would keep players from accepting endorsment contracts.

Now the only way I could see this being a problem is if it involved collusion between the team and the ourtside source of income. That is something that hamby seemed to imply. However since it didn't actually happen it carries little weight.

Players in high school and college are are getting endorsement conracts also based on the visabiility of the teams they play for.

legality aside the league would be beyond stupid to bring sanctions down on their most financially successful team. If they did so it would certainly follow that those same practices would envolve other teams as well and would probable result in the destruction of the league. Well estabished and financially thriving leagues have the option to do this but not a league like the WNBA that is hanging on by their nails.

What do you mean by "as Hamby seemed to imply" the article I read said the investigation started because agents were asking other teams if they were doing the same thing, nothing to do with Dearica Hamby and what she may or may not have meant in her tweets.

I can't find the exactly article I read, this one does mention the Dearica Hamby tweets, but also other teams being approached by agents about doing the same things.

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/look-sabrina-ionescu-rookie-card-becomes-most-expensive-wnba-card-sold-at-auction/

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/26/23 5:33 pm    ::: The Aces’ Scandal Should Be Treated Like Any Other in Spor Reply Reply with quote

https://www.si.com/wnba/2023/04/25/las-vegas-aces-dearica-hamby-salary-cap-investigation

The WNBA has succeeded. Now the best way to show respect for the people in it is to treat them as we treat other people in pro sports. Admire their gifts. Cheer when they win. Congratulate them when they cash in. Point out when they’re petulant or selfish. Heckle them when they cheat. Refuse to give them your money when they truly cross a line. View them as athletes, not idols.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/27/23 12:07 pm    ::: Re: The Aces’ Scandal Should Be Treated Like Any Other in Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
https://www.si.com/wnba/2023/04/25/las-vegas-aces-dearica-hamby-salary-cap-investigation

The WNBA has succeeded. Now the best way to show respect for the people in it is to treat them as we treat other people in pro sports. Admire their gifts. Cheer when they win. Congratulate them when they cash in. Point out when they’re petulant or selfish. Heckle them when they cheat. Refuse to give them your money when they truly cross a line. View them as athletes, not idols.

That's a really good piece.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/27/23 3:54 pm    ::: Re: The Aces’ Scandal Should Be Treated Like Any Other in Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
craigmont wrote:

That's a really good piece.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/01/23 11:04 am    ::: Re: The Aces’ Scandal Should Be Treated Like Any Other in Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

"Remember Al as you wonder whether, as reported, the Aces circumvented the salary cap to put together last year’s WNBA champions."

If it was under the table deals with 3rd parties, who was signed last year that they absolutely needed to have in order to accomplish this? All of LV's stars were under contract right?

PostPosted: 05/03/23 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top college players are now drawing large endorsment money. It certainly seems that there is allso a correlation between high profile teams and money from endorsments. That is certain to create a draw to those teams. I mean where is the line going to be drawn?

I think a good point has been made in respect to taking less of a salary not being that big of a deal to many players. They make most of their money playing over seas anyway. The play in the states for mostly other reasons than money. So the little bit less that they settle for really is not really that large of a percentage of their total salary. I remember when Diana T russian team payed her an equivalent salary not to play a season. Taking less is not that big a deal.

This has been a common practice in other professional sports for decades. Stare players taking salary cuts so that the team can afford a better supporting cast. A lot of QB have done this in the NFL. Brady being one.

If you want to see a major reason that players will play for less in Vagas just watch the fly though of their facilities on videa. Its top of the list first class.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

The WNBA announces The Aces are losing their 2025 first-round pick for "violating league rules regarding impermissible player benefits and suspended Las Vegas head coach Becky Hammon for two games without pay for violating league and team Respect in the Workplace policies."

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1658504511672000514

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1658506445782937603/photo/1

https://www.tsn.ca/wnba-penalizes-las-vegas-aces-after-investigation-1.1961148

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 05/16/23 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Becky be suspended for the home opener/championship ring ceremony?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: