Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/21/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Griner just resigned… at a discount Exclamation

I don't like it.... Glad BG signed, but not at a discount.

I was surprised by that too..and I don’t like it at all.

But thinking, is this the way the league is going to “be okay” with the Mercury owner providing a private plane for Brit.

After DT took the max, a discount deal was the only option for BG - the only way the Merc can even roster enough players (even if many of them will be first/second year players).

Phoenix FO has no interest in competing in this league this season. If Skylar comes back this season, she'll be walking into a mess. A starting five that could possibly compete but zero bench.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/21/23 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

But thinking, is this the way the league is going to “be okay” with the Mercury owner providing a private plane for Brit.

After DT took the max, a discount deal was the only option for BG - the only way the Merc can even roster enough players (even if many of them will be first/second year players).

Phoenix FO has no interest in competing in this league this season. If Skylar comes back this season, she'll be walking into a mess. A starting five that could possibly compete but zero bench.

My guess is the plan was to trade Diggins-Smith-Smith and max out DT and Griner but the trade never materialized. In the mean time PX made smaller moves around the edges Turner, Cunningham and later Jefferson. By the time they realized they weren't going to have the freed up cap they talked about it with DT and Griner, DT got the two year deal at max she wanted probably to hang for the Olympics before and retire with another gold medal and Griner was stuck (and it is shitty Imo) taking the one year deal below market value (I am sure other team would have maxed her out as a free agent but Griner wanted to be in PX, and everyone knew that. Hopefully if everything goes well and she is happy to be back Griner will get super max and max years in the future)(unlike the situation in Vegas I wouldn't care if there was some under the table compensation for BG).

I have a feeling Peddy was caught up in this waiting for Diggins-Smith-Smith trade cross fire as well as she is worth more than a vet minimum at this point in her career.

This season will be a welcome back BG tour and development of Turner and Cunningham.

Do they still have their first round pick in 24?

Either way look for them to try and add one more decent money free agent next off season to build around DT, Griner, Turner, Cunningham and Jefferson all of whom are already signed for 24 minus Griner. And go for one last ship for DT to add to her possible gold medal in 24 and retire.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/22/23 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

IMO, without knowing the details this looks very selfish on DT's part. She needs to retire.

PostPosted: 02/22/23 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deleted double post

~rAf

Last edited by readyAIMfire53 on 02/23/23 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/22/23 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's like deja vu all over again

PostPosted: 02/23/23 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. If Griner got paid her full salary last season after being detained. I see no issue with Phoenix paying her a reduced salary. I'm sure the Mercury have already told Griner that she's going to get a 4-year supermax contract next offseason (after they trade SDS,or let her walk )

2. DT could've taken a pay cut so that Mercury could retain Diamond...Trading Diamond and giving up a 2025 1st rd pick swap while making your team worst is just stupid.

3. The league needs to change the Maternity leave rules.

* Players should not get a full salary when on Maternity leave...40-80%(depending on salary) would be fair IMO

* A player's Maternity leave salary should not count against the salary cap.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/24/23 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/23/23 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because more players are taking paycuts that doesnt mean that everyone should. DT has taken paycuts in the past to accomodate the team.
Heck she has played with a low max salary for so many years being one of the best players in the world. She deserves this money like no other. What she has done for this franchise..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/23/23 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I meant to write about that this week and somehow forgot to put it in. Some players taking discounts ends up creating this environment where every other star is expected to in the eyes of some fans. But I can't really blame Taurasi for wanting the maximum available. She knows her worth and wants to be paid like it. She's also seen how likely this team is to win a championship when the Mercury front office get to roster build - it hasn't worked for nearly a decade. So go get your money, DT.

PostPosted: 02/24/23 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I meant to write about that this week and somehow forgot to put it in. Some players taking discounts ends up creating this environment where every other star is expected to in the eyes of some fans. But I can't really blame Taurasi for wanting the maximum available. She knows her worth and wants to be paid like it. She's also seen how likely this team is to win a championship when the Mercury front office get to roster build - it hasn't worked for nearly a decade. So go get your money, DT.

She’s brought us 3 titles and YEARS of elite basketball. Her loyalty should be commended and her salary is earned. We *likely* aren’t winning a title with or without DT this season and I’d rather see her with max money here so I can at least enjoy watching whatever is left of her career. Being a fan of a sport shouldn’t start and end with titles. There’s also everything in between. Watching her go out a Mercury is something she and this fan base have earned. Diana paved the way for the current generation and she deserves her MONEY.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/24/23 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the comments made by some posters about what money Diana is making are:

A. Typical
B. Ridiculous
C. Would never be said about other top players by said haters.

What Diana has done for women's basketball, the W, and the Mercury means she should get paid way more than this. How dare anyone talk about what money who has taken? I mean, Natalie Achonwa was given the most ridiculous contract in W history in Minnesota, but I certainly didn't blame Achonwa.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/24/23 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you are not seeing the bigger picture.....DT taking the full max came at a huge cost...The Mercury lost a good rotation player and gave up a potential lottery pick in 2025.......DT is also injury prone. She's missed 52 of 122 gms over the last 4 seasons (43%) And yeah, DT has taken less money in the past, but she was also paid big money by her Russian billionaire boss to sit out a season.

Phoenix currently has a billionaire Owner. They could have easily made a wink-wink deal where Taurasi could make back the money after she retires...I blame the Mercury owner for that. Also, no one is hating on Taurasi. Just pointing out that paying her the full max came at a potentially huge price.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/24/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Some of you are not seeing the bigger picture.....DT taking the full max came at a huge cost...The Mercury lost a good rotation player and gave up a potential lottery pick in 2025.......DT is also injury prone. She's missed 52 of 122 gms over the last 4 seasons (43%) And yeah, DT has taken less money in the past, but she was also paid big money by her Russian billionaire boss to sit out a season.

Phoenix currently has a billionaire Owner. They could have easily made a wink-wink deal where Taurasi could make back the money after she retires...I blame the Mercury owner for that. Also, no one is hating on Taurasi. Just pointing out that paying her the full max came at a potentially huge price.

I really wish players hadn’t chosen to take less money to create super teams.

For twenty years, players have advocated for bigger salaries. They got it. Now fans demand they take less than their worth for “the good of the team.”

Again - an expectation not given to men.

Quite frankly, the WNBA owes DT money. She’s worth the max until she retires.

PostPosted: 02/25/23 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

For twenty years, players have advocated for bigger salaries. They got it. Now fans demand they take less than their worth for “the good of the team.”

If the WNBA didn't have a hard salary cap and the option for a luxury tax like in men's sports I don't think this conversation is being had and on the flip side if men's sports had a hard salary cap I think you see more of this type of talk.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/25/23 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
1. If Griner got paid her full salary last season after being detained. I see no issue with Phoenix paying her a reduced salary. I'm sure the Mercury have already told Griner that she's going to get a 4-year supermax contract next offseason (after they trade SDS,or let her walk )

2. DT could've taken a pay cut so that Mercury could retain Diamond...Trading Diamond and giving up a 2025 1st rd pick swap while making your team worst is just stupid.

3. The league needs to change the Maternity leave rules.

* Players should not get a full salary when on Maternity leave...40-80%(depending on salary) would be fair IMO

* A player's Maternity leave salary should not count against the salary cap.

The maternity leave rules won't change until the next CBA. Everyone has to live with it.

PostPosted: 02/25/23 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I wanted to make the same comment about the players taking less money when for MANY YEARS they complained about being underpaid. I don't want to hear any complaints in the future about low pay from players in the W.👎🏿

PostPosted: 03/02/23 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2023/03/02/kevin-durant-brittney-griner-embrace-video-brings-out-smiles/69962959007/

BG and KD embracing.

Honestly missed the news that KD went to the Sun's lol

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/02/23 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2023/03/02/kevin-durant-brittney-griner-embrace-video-brings-out-smiles/69962959007/

BG and KD embracing.

When i see KD i think Kaela Davis first sorry Kevin . Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/02/23 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

BG and KD embracing.

Suns talk for a minute - KD has wanted to play with Booker since the Olympics. Should be fun to watch, although I’ll miss Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson. Still amazing that the Suns got Durant and got to keep their best two young players.

What was striking to me about this though, is I always forget just how tall Durant is. Like, you don’t expect anyone to be several inches taller than Brit. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/03/23 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former player Tully Bevilaqua is joining the Merc as an assistant coach.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-adds-14-year-wnba-veteran-tully-bevilaqua-to-staff/

I wonder if she is still a realtor in the Indianapolis area?

PostPosted: 03/03/23 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Former player Tully Bevilaqua is joining the Merc as an assistant coach.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-adds-14-year-wnba-veteran-tully-bevilaqua-to-staff/

I wonder if she is still a realtor in the Indianapolis area?

I love this. Maybe she’s head coach in a few years…

PostPosted: 03/04/23 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tully's a ledge.

Stoked to have her on board.

PostPosted: 03/04/23 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tully is a stud

PostPosted: 04/11/23 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix's 2023 Picks:

27. Destiny Harden, 6' 0" F, Miami (FL)
29. Kadi Sissoko, 6' 2" F, USC/France

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/28/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suns and Mercury games are moving from Bally sports to cable. All Mercury games available will be on tv. (For Arizona fans, it’s channel 3 and 44)

There will also be a direct to customer streaming service. Merc and Suns will have their own app to access on smart phones and smart tvs.

Fantastic move by the new owner.

PostPosted: 04/28/23 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc waive Sydney Wiese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: