RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina @ #5 Connecticut - 2/05/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Connecticut
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno gives up and acts like a BIG jerk.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yeah, and that really sealed the fate of the game. Way to go, Coach Mad

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yeah, that was bad. Although it’s frustrating to have our whole team in foul trouble while South Carolina beats us up.

We definitely needed Azzi to beat them, at least. If we aren’t going to get rebounds we need to make shots.

Also, Aaliyah Edwards is an All American. She was every bit the star of Boston today.

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game has been closer than I expected, and we've shot the ball exceptionally well given the opponent and our absences. As Glenn noted, it was mostly one-on-one, but we say some nice team plays in the second half.

South Carolina is an exceptional offensive rebounding team, and our posts have to, must, no questions asked, do better. The box out drills need to happen. Boston has as many offensive rebounds herself as Edwards and Juhasz have defensive rebounds combined (as of the writing of this post). All but impossible to win when the other team takes 20 more shots than you.

Not sure what Cardoso was complaining about; that was clearly a foul Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks need more Saxton

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a good time to go 2-4 from the line.

Going way back, I don't think we got a replay of Beal's shot that may have not beaten the shot clock in the first half. I assume the officials did check it, but I don't think I heard the announcers mention anything.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OOOOOO, that's a terrible job by the officials. Very clearly a hand off and they were right there.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Refs blew that call

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not sub someone in to he the designated fouler and then sub them out during free throws?
singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's T + 2-4 on free throws from Cardoso's fouls + that blown call will be too much to overcome, but I would be remiss for not complimenting this team's fight. There were several times they could have folded, as we've seen UConn teams do over the years when the going gets tough, and they didn't.

I will never understand why coaches don't sub when they know they're going to foul coming out of a timeout when you've got players with 4 fouls.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I will never understand why coaches don't sub when they know they're going to foul coming out of a timeout when you've got players with 4 fouls.

UConn doesn't have anybody to sub

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

UConn doesn't have anybody to sub

Rolling Eyes Bettencourt can foul, like she just did.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In hindsight it makes total sense, but I didn't realize how long that fourth quarter took until I just looked at the clock

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Closer game than I expected. SCar is clearly the best team in the country.

Three things impressed me about UConn.

First, they scored most of their points off aggressive individual efforts and moves rather than off their half court team offense, which often bogs down. This should give players like Edwards, Senechal, Muhl and Griffin the confidence that they can do that against anyone.

Second, Griffin was superb on both offense and defense. I believe she guarded Zia Cooke, SCar's top scorer, the whole game and effectively shut her down. Plus Griffin was wonderful on drives and attacking the paint.

Third, Edwards has established herself as perhaps the best power forward in D1 and deserves to be an AA.
ucbart

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

First, they scored most of their points off aggressive individual efforts and moves rather than off their half court team offense, which often bogs down. This should give players like Edwards, Senechal, Muhl and Griffin the confidence that they can do that against anyone.

Second, Griffin was superb on both offense and defense. I believe she guarded Zia Cooke, SCar's top scorer, the whole game and effectively shut her down. Plus Griffin was wonderful on drives and attacking the paint.

Third, Edwards has established herself as perhaps the best power forward in D1 and deserves to be an AA.

You think SC is clearly the best team? That's bold.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I love that he got that T. It didn't change the game, but it sure sent a message, especially if we meet again.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I love that he got that T. It didn't change the game, but it sure sent a message, especially if we meet again.

Couldn't disagree more.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final statlines for 2023 Draft prospects in this game: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1711600#1711600

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/05/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC is a beatable team. They almost lost a couple times to lesser teams. They are a terrible shooting team, it's all with the bigs inside. Getting Cordoso and/or Boston in foul trouble is the key. Of course getting the #1 seed makes their race to the final four breezy just like last year.

LSU has a good team but it's not great, their record and statistics are way overstated. Kim schedule 11 straight creampuffs to start the year for an 11-0 start, some of which were so bad they'd have a hard time beating some high school teams. She never did that at Baylor but it has worked in the ratings. Also, the SEC is a weak conference with only a few good teams. Just like most other conferences.

Just look, they could have easily lost today to a significantly weakened and compromised UConn team.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/05/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Edwards 🖤

PostPosted: 02/06/23 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the Edwards we envisioned when she signed, and an Edwards that didn't seem possible after last year.

I continue to regret not having Lou available next year. The trio of Bueckers, Fudd and Lou on the perimeter...but i'm so glad she's here now.

South Carolina is no juggernaut, but I doubt they'll be beaten in the tournament. And yes, it's typical SEC/SC/Dawn basketball.

In a game of full roster v full roster, I'd like CT's chances. But, of course, that cannot happen.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/06/23 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd kinda game, in a way. When's the last time UConn shot 52% from the floor ..... and LOST?? Likewise, their total of 2 FG from the arc is a bit of an anomaly. And when a team like SC has 25 O-boards, one might expect a greater margin of victory.

As good as Edwards was, I thought Griffin was the gritty one, with lots of gutsy leadership.

I love Boston, BUT.....if I hadta pick between Edwards or Boston, I'd probably go with Edwards. However, both are deserving of whatever accolades come their way. Hope to see lots of them in future Olympics, etc. (alongside Brink and Reese! Cool )

PostPosted: 02/06/23 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Odd kinda game, in a way. When's the last time UConn shot 52% from the floor ..... and LOST?? Likewise, their total of 2 FG from the arc is a bit of an anomaly. And when a team like SC has 25 O-boards, one might expect a greater margin of victory.

As good as Edwards was, I thought Griffin was the gritty one, with lots of gutsy leadership.

I love Boston, BUT.....if I hadta pick between Edwards or Boston, I'd probably go with Edwards. However, both are deserving of whatever accolades come their way. Hope to see lots of them in future Olympics, etc. (alongside Brink and Reese! Cool )

You won’t see Edwards alongside those three Wink

Howee

PostPosted: 02/06/23 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ok, but....maybe we'll see them all on the floor together if Edwards gets Canada into the Gold Medal game! Razz

PostPosted: 02/07/23 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ok, but....maybe we'll see them all on the floor together if Edwards gets Canada into the Gold Medal game! Razz

I like Team Canada so I wouldn’t be opposed to that Wink Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: