Connecticut Sun 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/16/23 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
So the Sun are tearing it all down and starting over

that’s the vibe

sad that it just never worked out – a rebuild could take a while, though we’d have to see what they get in a BJones, AThomas, and/or Bonner trade

i’m still a bit skeptical that all three of those players are also on their way out, idk

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Sun are definitely in need of a point guard now? Perhaps they can acquire one that's on the trade chopping block.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
So the Sun are definitely in need of a point guard now? Perhaps they can acquire one that's on the trade chopping block.

i mean, they just acquired Ty Harris in the JJones trade and could still match whatever deal Hiedeman may sign given the newfound cap space – they might [think that they’ll] be ok on the PG front without having to do much more

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/16/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who do they in mind as the benefit for longterm rebuild? Paige Bueckers? Cameron Brink? Clark?

DTP

PostPosted: 01/16/23 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Sometimes the negatives are impossible to change, though. People who run the Sun can't change that they're in Connecticut, or that they're pretty isolated in the middle of nowhere. If Player X doesn't like those things there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it.

Also, there are plenty of sports teams over the years who've bent over backwards to try to keep their star happy, then thoroughly regretted it when the star leaves anyway and they're left with the detritus of all those moves.

Very true but in this specific case, it seemed to me like JJ was an afterthought instead of the priority when running things on the floor and it totally make sense to me why she'd want to move on.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/16/23 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do we think they are coring B Jones to keep her or because they know she wants to leave and they want something in return?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/16/23 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So do we think they are coring B Jones to keep her or because they know she wants to leave and they want something in return?

My guess is keep her, but it's a fair point that coring a player often doesn't mean they actually stay with that team.

This feels like an attempt to re-shape/reload/re-whatever to me rather than a full on tear-down tank job. If it was that, you ship Alyssa Thomas (which could, of course, still happen). So I think they try to build a different but still good team around AThomas and BJones inside and more shooting outside.

PostPosted: 01/16/23 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Their cap issues really aren't solved with this move....a lot of holes and not a lot of money to fill them. I think Jas Thomas has to be next up. I would be shopping her hard for cap relief to LA and Minnesota.

Good call!

(now with spelling variations)
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/16/23 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suns looking very different pretty quickly

Harris/Clouden
Carrington/Allen
Bonner/Walker/K. Smith
A. Thomas/Holmes (reserved)
B. Jones (cored)/Nelson-Ododa

Heideman RFA
pick #6
C. Williams UFA

They probably have the cap to not only max out B. Jones but also bring back one of Heideman or C. Will
or do they look elsewhere for a different win now free agent?
Will Hartley be ready for 23?
Maybe a landing spot for Nurse? O. Simms? T. Mitchell?

Heideman is RFA so could probably also bring back something in a sign and trade

C. Miller already brought one Sun player to LA is there room for one more?

Conn was on the A. Gray list Heideman and #6 for A. Gray? Seems very dependent on if they are still trying to contend or not.

If they are win now or win still maybe a sign and trade Heideman for Hayes? Conn can hold onto their draft pick in that swap IMO.

who would be a nice pick up for them at #6
Horston, Jackson, Joens, Osborne?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/18/23 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
If you're a GM and you have a MVP talent like Jonquel that can pretty much do everything on the floor, your #1 job should be keeping that player happy. Big failure for CT to allow their relationship with her get to this point and to get so little in return for her.

Their cap issues really aren't solved with this move....a lot of holes and not a lot of money to fill them. I think Jas Thomas has to be next up. I would be shopping her hard for cap relief to LA and Minnesota.

Well, they also have the unique talent known as "the engine." As I suspected, the details are coming out that the Sun prioritized B.Jones over J.Jones. I think it's because of how well B.Jones fit with the engine, whereas Alyssa and JJ kind of got in each other's way a bit. Also, everyone saying that Alyssa was the heart of the team doesn't tend to sit well with an MVP.

I happen to love Alyssa and also love JJ. I'm glad the Sun made their decision in time for JJ to search for the team that she believes aligns best with her own goals. I think Sun/Lib games are going to be a lot of fun to watch

~rAf
DTP

PostPosted: 01/18/23 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
DTP wrote:
If you're a GM and you have a MVP talent like Jonquel that can pretty much do everything on the floor, your #1 job should be keeping that player happy. Big failure for CT to allow their relationship with her get to this point and to get so little in return for her.

Well, they also have the unique talent known as "the engine." As I suspected, the details are coming out that the Sun prioritized B.Jones over J.Jones. I think it's because of how well B.Jones fit with the engine, whereas Alyssa and JJ kind of got in each other's way a bit. Also, everyone saying that Alyssa was the heart of the team doesn't tend to sit well with an MVP.

I happen to love Alyssa and also love JJ. I'm glad the Sun made their decision in time for JJ to search for the team that she believes aligns best with her own goals. I think Sun/Lib games are going to be a lot of fun to watch

I saw it on twitter, so it could be inaccurate, but the stats showed the combination of JJ/Alyssa performed better than JJ/B Jones and Alyssa/B Jones. Alyssa is really good but I just don't believe you're winning a championship with her as your best player.....I do believe you can with JJ.

I'm personally really high on JJ, she's just such a unique talent. I think she's top 3 player in the league right now.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/18/23 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

detonating the core of the roster now while you still have the rights to virtually everyone in the rotation by trading them away for what you can get, thereby tanking for Clark/Bueckers/whomever else in 2024 is not a terrible course of action – even as it doesn't exactly set Stephanie White up for success

speaking of whom, it should be noted in case it hasn't been already,

Active players on the 2016 Fever roster when Stephanie White was coach (& Catchings was still on the roster):

—Natalie Achonwa (trade [dump] candidate?)
—Tiffany Mitchell (UFA)
—Erica Wheeler (UFA)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/18/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
DTP wrote:

I saw it on twitter, so it could be inaccurate, but the stats showed the combination of JJ/Alyssa performed better than JJ/B Jones and Alyssa/B Jones. Alyssa is really good but I just don't believe you're winning a championship with her as your best player.....I do believe you can with JJ.

I'm personally really high on JJ, she's just such a unique talent. I think she's top 3 player in the league right now.

Well, I saw on twitter that many agree that JJ and Alyssa "got in each other's way" and were simply not an ideal pairing. You have to also consider that the decision wasn't just to trade JJ, but to free up salary to acquire some 3 pt shooters, the one area everyone agrees was CT Sun's biggest shortcoming. If they kept JJ, they would have lost BJones, as well as the salary space to go after shooters.

The big winner here is JJ, who gets to play her game on the biggest media stage and finally for the full salary she's worth.

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/20/23 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brionna Jones has officially been cored

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/20/23 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, I really hate to see this team get blown up. I always respeCTed that this team was built the hard way. They don't get the Candace Parkers or SDS of the league. They built through the draft and trades. CT has a lot of uphill battles when it comes to being competitive but in really impressed that they've done it twice but couldn't get over the hump in the TC years or in the JJ years.

I hope they have a quick rebuild. The league is better when teams like CT are competitive. They are the model of non-NBA affiliate teams and we should all want them to succeed.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/20/23 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Man, I really hate to see this team get blown up. I always respeCTed that this team was built the hard way. They don't get the Candace Parkers or SDS of the league. They built through the draft and trades. CT has a lot of uphill battles when it comes to being competitive but in really impressed that they've done it twice but couldn't get over the hump in the TC years or in the JJ years.

I hope they have a quick rebuild. The league is better when teams like CT are competitive. They are the model of non-NBA affiliate teams and we should all want them to succeed.

I completely agree with all this. And hopefully Indiana, Dallas, and Atlanta are able to take big steps toward the top either this year or next.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I completely agree with all this. And hopefully Indiana, Dallas, and Atlanta are able to take big steps toward the top either this year or next.

And now the rumor is that the Sun will be the first losers of Tina Charles sweepstakes this season. But we know there will likely be more than one loser each season so the Sun have hope of re-grouping when she leaves. This is a bigger head scratcher than giving up JJ for almost nothing in return.

~rAf
basketballologist

PostPosted: 01/31/23 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Depth Chart:

1: Tasha Harris
2: DiJonai Carrington/Nia Clouden
3: DeWanna Bonner/Rebecca Allen
4: Alyssa Thomas/Jasmine Walker
5: Brionna Jones/Olivia Nelson-Ododa

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/31/23 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

I love it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/31/23 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

I love it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LMAO. Leave me alone. It was 3:30 and I was sleepy‼️ Laughing

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Tyasha Harris/DiJonai Carrington
2: Rebecca Allen/Nia Clouden
3: DeWanna Bonner/Jasmine Walker
4: Alyssa Thomas/Joyner Holmes

Additions:
- Rebecca Allen: via trade
- Tyasha Harris: via trade
- Joyner Holmes: qualifying offer extended
- Olivia Nelson-Ododa : via trade
- Kianna Smith: via trade
- Jasmine Walker : via trade

Subtractions:
- Jonquel Jones : via trade
- Jasmine Thomas: via trade
- 2023 1st round pick

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:
- Kianna Smith: via trade (not on roster )

Subtractions:
- 2023 1st round pick

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/23 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:
- Kianna Smith: via trade (not on roster )

Subtractions:
- Courtney Williams
: via free agency UPDATED
- 2023 1st round pick

donagh

PostPosted: 02/05/23 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hiedeman signed a 2 year contract with the Sun, so there's their other point guard.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/08/23 5:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Natisha Hiedeman/Tyasha Harris
2: DiJonai Carrington/Rebecca Allen/Nia Clouden
3: DeWanna Bonner/Jasmine Walker/Mikiah Herbert Harrigan
4: Alyssa Thomas/Lauren Cox/Kristine Anigwe
5: Brionna Jones/Olivia Nelson-Ododa/Joyner Holmes

Additions:
- Kristine Anigwe: via training camp contract
- Lauren Cox: via training camp contract
- Mikiah Herbert Harrigan: via training camp contract
- Natisha Hiedeman: re-signed via free agency
- Kianna Smith: via trade (not on roster)

Subtractions:
- Courtney Williams
: via free agency
- 2023 1st round pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: