RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 12/31/22 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand and respect hyphenating - or adding the married name without the hyphenation (which affects how the name is alphabetized). The family name is a major part of one's identity for all the years prior to marriage, so it always seemed crazy to just drop it. One would have to be married as long as one had been unmarried to have that name as long as the family name. Unfortunately, because so many people don't take marriage seriously, folks' names change frequently. Some keep the married name after divorce, while others go back to the family name. For professional reasons, some stick to a particular name.

Re: the slur mention, I refer to myself as a dyke in certain company. When I came out in the late 1970s, it was popular in some circles to reclaim terms that had been used as weapons. Because no one had ever called me any of those things, it was easy for me to jump on that bandwagon. But I will never reclaim the n-word because that is too painful of a term. I hate the fact that so many folks so casually throw it around.

SDS the commentator went back to her family name after her marriage didn't work out. Not hoping for anything like this to happen to Phx's SDS (even though I totally irrationally can't stand the woman), I wonder what she would do if things went south between her and Daniel.

We're resistant to change in general, so when folks keep changing their names, it can become annoying - and confusing. Who has time to keep track? Retaining a family name helps folks reconnect on social media.

PostPosted: 12/31/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought it would be cute to trade last names. As a more co-equal alternative to just one partner adopting the other's name, or hyphenating.

That said, my squeeze and I kept our own names. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/13/23 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Rachel Galligan, the Mercury extended qualifying offers to Sophie Cunningham, Megan Gustafson, Sam Thomas, and Shey Peddy.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 01/31/23 4:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Depth Chart:

1: Skylar Diggins-Smith
3: Diamond DeShields
5: Brianna Turner

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/01/23 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

3: Diamond DeShields
4: Sophie Cunningham

Additions:
- Sophie Cunningham : via free agency

Subtractions:

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other teams are out here making major moves and what exactly are the Merc doing?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/02/23 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

saying goodbye to Kia Nurse: https://twitter.com/KayNurse11/status/1621273162653569024

PostPosted: 02/02/23 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Iā€™d rather see a player hyphenate than completely change her name; itā€™s hard to keep track sometimes if there are a lot of last names around for a player. (On the other hand, some people are born hyphenated, so I suppose thereā€™s merit in not being confused with them.)

One caveat: if you marry someone whose surname is a slur, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONā€™T INSIST ON USING IT.

Thing is words and names have been around for centuries. Many started out as meaning something totally different than it means now. It is a slur depending on the context in which it is used. Are you asking folks to deny their family name because in another context it is a slur? Or should a:

noun
1. a long wall or embankment built to prevent flooding from the sea.
2. a ditch or watercourse.

known by a term that sounds exactly like the slur be changed because it does?

Believe me, I am NOT championing the use of slurs. The way we are going though, eventually no word will be safe. Anyone named Karen is probably pretty annoyed right about now. And no its not exactly the same level of negativity depending on the person and situation but you get my point, right?
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
She seems passionate about it. She corrected a sideline reporters once for not saying -Smith.

And I would guess that she feels that way because the added name represents her identity as a wife/grown woman aka a perceived advancement from her previous identity. If she doesn't care about what I was saying about branding, then that's absolutely her right. I suppose I just personally don't think I could relate to being particularly passionate about adding on the most common last name in the country to my pre-existing name. I mean, I'd love to be able to stop cringing every time I hear or see it. Someday, hopefully. šŸ™ƒ

On one hand, I wish more men took their wives' last name, especially if it was cooler/better. Gender roles, shmender roles ā€“ if ya wanna do it, then do it! (Her husband was an athlete too though, so for multiple reasons related to brand & masculinity, it was probably never considered. [Although "Daniel Diggins" without question is infinitely superior to "Daniel Smith"!])

On the other hand, it's easy for me to wish that since I doubt I'll ever find myself up at the altar marrying a woman. šŸ˜… (Never say never, but ehh)

The passion is in the acknowledging of the commitment. She wants you, me, and every Tom, Dick and Mary that she, Skylar Diggins, has coupled herself with the love of her life for now and ever. If you accepted her is Skylar Diggins, you will continue to accept her as Skylar Diggins-Smith. And where were you when the drive to hyphenate married women's names in the late 90s-early 2000s (???), I think, took place. It was a sign of women taking back their own family heritage while also embracing that of her husband. It was also seen as a sign of power for women. I may be wrong about the dates but there was a movement.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, does anyone know the latest on the issues between Diggs-Smith and the Mercury, Nygaard, maybe DT? Are they resolved?
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Ok, does anyone know the latest on the issues between Diggs-Smith and the Mercury, Nygaard, maybe DT? Are they resolved?

I would say no, according to this which was posted & discussed in the Free Agency thread: https://twitter.com/WBBWorldWide/status/1621202399166603264

Skylar Diggins-Smith on Instagram earlier this morning in a very cursive font wrote:
A wise man once said: We can settle this like you got some class..... or we can get into some gangsta shit...

If that was a quote, I'm personally unfamiliar with it. Razz She also posted a picture of a blurb that favorably described her production last season with respect to her own career as well as comparing it to the production of other stars last season and simply wrote the '#TBT' hashtag.

Read into all of that what ya will!

mercfan

PostPosted: 02/03/23 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Itā€™d be nice to have draft picks in a time where we have no signings

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/03/23 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

I would say no, according to this which was posted & discussed in the Free Agency thread: https://twitter.com/WBBWorldWide/status/1621202399166603264

Skylar Diggins-Smith on Instagram earlier this morning in a very cursive font wrote:
A wise man once said: We can settle this like you got some class..... or we can get into some gangsta shit...

If that was a quote, I'm personally unfamiliar with it. Razz She also posted a picture of a blurb that favorably described her production last season with respect to her own career as well as comparing it to the production of other stars last season and simply wrote the '#TBT' hashtag.

Read into all of that what ya will!

Itā€™s from an old movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070350/characters/nm0930454

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/03/23 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

So after seeing the team in person, Iā€™d say the issue is between the team and Nygaard. The players were all supportive with each other. (I did see them the day Brit was found guilty). I think Diggins is much more upfront about it.

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

2: Diamond DeShields
3: Sophie Cunningham
4: Sam Thomas

Additions:
- Sam Thomas: via training camp contract UPDATE

Subtractions:
- Kia Nurse : via free agency UPDATED

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

2: Diamond DeShields
3: Sophie Cunningham

Additions:
- Sam Thomas: via training camp contract UPDATE

Subtractions:
- Kia Nurse : via free agency UPDATED

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/04/23 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, am I missing something? Is SDS asking for a trade? Or just wanting to get paid to not play all season?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/05/23 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Itā€™d be nice to have draft picks in a time where we have no signings

Oof.

I'll forever give Pitman a pass on 2022 since he swung big and fate did not allow the team he tried to put together in 2022 to ever see the floor. As a result, we are in a bad position to build a roster this season. A shame since this is likely DT's last season and BG is returning but those two plus Cunningham won't be enough to complete with most of the teams at the top.

I know SDS wants out and that's fine. I'd like her to stay but clearly there is a huge chemistry problem here. Is she even capable of playing this season? I'm not 100% on her pregnancy timeline.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/05/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ok, am I missing something? Is SDS asking for a trade? Or just wanting to get paid to not play all season?

My understanding is she has requested a trade because she doesn't want to play for Nygaard. But given her pregnancy, there may not being any teams interested in taking her on. Add to that the fact that only one year remains on her contract so she could walk after this season anyway.

Don't know if there's been official reporting to this effect or if it's just fan rumors.

PostPosted: 02/07/23 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sydney Wiese to Phoenix.

Jennie Simms, Sam Thomas, Gustafson are back.

This could be a rough year unless thereā€™s a secret trade in the works involving SDS.

Wiese/Peddy???
Taurasi/Simms
Cunningham/DeShields/Thomas
Turner
Griner/Gustafson

Man I really want to see DT go out a contender. If SDS is back and everyone is at full strength itā€™s actually not that bad. Iā€™m just not too optimistic at the moment.

One thing I know for sure is that Turner is much more impactful with BG on the court.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/07/23 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Sydney Wiese to Phoenix.

This could be a rough year unless thereā€™s a secret trade in the works involving SDS.

Wiese/Peddy???
Taurasi/Simms
Turner
Griner/Gustafson

Man I really want to see DT go out a contender. If SDS is back and everyone is at full strength itā€™s actually not that bad. Iā€™m just not too optimistic at the moment.

One thing I know for sure is that Turner is much more impactful with BG on the court.

Taurasi is on record saying she isn't taking less money, which makes trading Skylar a moot point anyway. Also said playing until 42 for the Olympics is something on her radar. Incredibly selfish from a contractual standpoint, because at this moment she is not a max player. Don't really see the point of Thomas or Simms. If Wiese sticks, she seems to be a good lockerroom piece, something this roster desperately needs.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/23 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching this nearly unprecedented mid-game presentation of LeBron becoming the all-time NBA scoring leader, and idk, I think it'd be kinda cool if the Merc were able to do something like this ā€“ even to a slightly lesser degree ā€“ for Diana Taurasi when she hits 10K career points. Obviously she's been the W's all-time scoring leader for a while, but there truly will never be another scorer like her when she was in her prime, and who knows when we'd get the next 10Ker long after she retires (Ogunbowale?). It wouldn't be a 40-year-old record-breaker like LeBron's is ā€“ duh, how could it? ā€“ but both Diana and the W would deserve such a moment if nothing else but for themselves imo.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/08/23 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

2: Diamond DeShields/Jennie Simms
3: Sophie Cunningham/Sydney Wiese
5: Brianna Turner/Megan Gustafson

Additions:
- Sophie Cunningham: via free agency
- Megan Gustafson: via training camp contract
- Jennie Simms: via training camp contract
- Sam Thomas: via training camp contract
- Sydney Wiese: via training camp contract

Subtractions:
- Kia Nurse: via free agency

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/08/23 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Watching this nearly unprecedented mid-game presentation of LeBron becoming the all-time NBA scoring leader, and idk, I think it'd be kinda cool if the Merc were able to do something like this ā€“ even to a slightly lesser degree ā€“ for Diana Taurasi when she hits 10K career points. Obviously she's been the W's all-time scoring leader for a while, but there truly will never be another scorer like her when she was in her prime, and who knows when we'd get the next 10Ker long after she retires (Ogunbowale?). It wouldn't be a 40-year-old record-breaker like LeBron's is ā€“ duh, how could it? ā€“ but both Diana and the W would deserve such a moment if nothing else but for themselves imo.

When she took over the scoring record against LA they did something similar literally stopping the game after the bucket to do half court announcement and recognition. Albeit her family did not get to join it did not seem as though DT too much cared and was ready to get back to the game ASAP Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/09/23 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Sydney Wiese to Phoenix.

Wiese/Peddy???
Taurasi/Simms
Turner
Griner/Gustafson

Taurasi is on record saying she isn't taking less money, which makes trading Skylar a moot point anyway. Also said playing until 42 for the Olympics is something on her radar. Incredibly selfish from a contractual standpoint, because at this moment she is not a max player. Don't really see the point of Thomas or Simms. If Wiese sticks, she seems to be a good lockerroom piece, something this roster desperately needs.

So the expectation is now that after negotiating a higher salary, women simply take less for the good of the team?

Obviously if players want to ring chase and donā€™t care, thatā€™s on them. But that can not be the standard,

Also, the amount of disrespect shown to arguably the best womenā€™s player ever is ridiculous. No one would ever suggest MJ or Lebron or Kareem ā€œtake less money because they arenā€™t worth itā€ (letā€™s be real, Diana has been underpaid her whole career), or that they shouldnā€™t have career aspirations because they were older players.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: