RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Freed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/20/22 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how many players knew before the media reported it.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 12/21/22 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually can read a story for free so I’m sharing this:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/26/brittney-griner-and-the-role-of-race-in-diplomacy

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/21/22 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.yahoo.com/brittney-griner-thanks-fans-for-support-urges-them-to-advocate-for-release-of-paul-whelan-other-americans-203342989.html

https://people.com/sports/brittney-griner-asks-supporters-to-write-letters-to-paul-whelan/

Brittney Griner Asks Fans, Advocates to Write Letters to Paul Whelan: 'It's Our Turn to Support'

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/21/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/brittney-griner-thanks-fans-for-support-urges-them-to-advocate-for-release-of-paul-whelan-other-americans-203342989.html

https://people.com/sports/brittney-griner-asks-supporters-to-write-letters-to-paul-whelan/

Brittney Griner Asks Fans, Advocates to Write Letters to Paul Whelan: 'It's Our Turn to Support'

SO great of Brittney Griner to speak out on behalf of Paul Whelan and other imprisoned Americans right at this time, so early in her return after months of horrors.

PostPosted: 12/21/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Griner has imposter syndrome, wondering whether she was worth what the US paid or if they should have pursued someone else

PostPosted: 12/21/22 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I wonder if Griner has imposter syndrome, wondering whether she was worth what the US paid or if they should have pursued someone else

I'm thinking she's got "GoodLordImSoFreekinHappyToBeHome" syndrome, but is absolutely empathetic to Whelan's dilemma. I can't imagine a better cause for her to take up, having 'been there/done that' - using the visibility of her newfound fame to heighten awareness of these predicaments.

PostPosted: 12/22/22 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm thinking she's got GoodLordImSoFreekinHappyToBeHome" syndrome, but is absolutely empathetic to Whelan's dilemma. I can't imagine a better cause for her to take up, having 'been there/done that' - using the visibility of her newfound fame to heighten awareness of these predicaments.

Thanks, Howee. I completely agree. Wonderful way for Griner to use her increased fame.

PostPosted: 12/24/22 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

new found fame like the whole 20 people who showed up at the Baylor church to greet her?....oh that fame.......LOL.....what a joke.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/24/22 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone tell Luuuc to update his avatar ever so slightly, to reflect the current times. Very Happy

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 12/24/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Someone tell Luuuc to update his avatar ever so slightly, to reflect the current times. Very Happy

And johnjohnW needs to update his siggy! Very Happy

It's sad that the turnout for BG's homecoming was so small. I'm sure there were other factors, but timing seems to be one.

Quote:
BRITTNEY GRINER'S HOMECOMING was celebrated Monday night in front of 20 people at University Baptist Church in Waco. Baylor is on winter break, and a few of the people who were supposed to attend were sick. The church livestreamed the event.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/35281960/how-brittney-griner-baylor-city-waco-coming-terms

Just gave the haters more reason to hate, when what the world needs now is love sweet love! (Longtime Dionne Warwick fan here!)

This video of what was originally planned as a vigil for her release but became a celebration and vigil for those still imprisoned will play without having to log into Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ubcwaco/videos/a-service-of-celebration/552012683153853/

PostPosted: 12/24/22 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Just gave the haters more reason to hate, when what the world needs now is love sweet love! (Longtime Dionne Warwick fan here!)

Yes, to Dionne Warwick, to her song, and to your statement!

I feel confident that when Brittney Griner first comes on the court in Phoenix and in every other WNBA city fans will be ecstatic and showing our love, respect, and support. I feel confident that when Griner feels ready for a serious, extended television interview there will be great interest in what she has to say.

And I feel certain that Griner will continue to be a powerful voice for Paul Whelan and many others.

PostPosted: 12/24/22 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
new found fame like the whole 20 people who showed up at the Baylor church to greet her?....oh that fame.......LOL.....what a joke.

You're confusing "fame" with "group adulation", darling. Britney Griner is now a household name. There is NO OTHER name in women's hoops that is as well known by the general public. 8 out of 10 Americans recognize her name (the other 2 being cave-dwellers). That's more than you can say for Diana or Candace or Breanna. Cool

PostPosted: 12/25/22 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

Did somebody inadvertently use you as a tree topper?

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/27/22 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason Brittney Griner is the sports story of the year, isn't solely because of her bravery while being "wrongfully detained" in Russia. It isn't just that she became a symbol of strength that unified large swaths of the sports world and beyond. It isn't just because of the love story that is her wife, Cherelle, who fought relentlessly to free her. It isn't only because of the success of American diplomacy that saw her as a human being and worked tirelessly to secure her release.

It is all those things but perhaps one of the biggest reasons Griner is the sports story of the year is because of what she still represents: the gender pay gap.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2022/12/27/brittney-griner-biggest-sports-story-year-russia-release/10930846002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/27/22 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
The reason Brittney Griner is the sports story of the year, isn't solely because of her bravery while being "wrongfully detained" in Russia. It isn't just that she became a symbol of strength that unified large swaths of the sports world and beyond. It isn't just because of the love story that is her wife, Cherelle, who fought relentlessly to free her. It isn't only because of the success of American diplomacy that saw her as a human being and worked tirelessly to secure her release.

It is all those things but perhaps one of the biggest reasons Griner is the sports story of the year is because of what she still represents: the gender pay gap.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2022/12/27/brittney-griner-biggest-sports-story-year-russia-release/10930846002/

Excellent. Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: 01/11/23 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, here's another reason to never go to Louisiana.

Quote:
The Louisiana Republican State Central Committee voted Saturday to condemn the Biden administration’s prisoner swap with Russia that led to the release of basketball star Brittney Griner.

Members of the GOP committee attending their quarterly meeting in Lafayette supported a resolution condemning the Griner exchange through a voice vote. No members raised objections to the matter, once a reference to Griner being a “woke” gay woman was removed from the statement.

https://lailluminator.com/2023/01/08/louisiana-republican-party-objects-to-brittney-griner-prisoner-swap/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/11/23 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:
The Louisiana Republican State Central Committee voted Saturday to condemn the Biden administration’s prisoner swap with Russia that led to the release of basketball star Brittney Griner.

Members of the GOP committee attending their quarterly meeting in Lafayette supported a resolution condemning the Griner exchange through a voice vote. No members raised objections to the matter, once a reference to Griner being a “woke” gay woman was removed from the statement.

https://lailluminator.com/2023/01/08/louisiana-republican-party-objects-to-brittney-griner-prisoner-swap/
Well, now HERE'S a grand opportunity for Kim Mulkey, no longer restrained by her old Baptist Baylor Bullshit, to holler out at such ignorance in her home state. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/12/23 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Well, now HERE'S a grand opportunity for Kim Mulkey, no longer restrained by her old Baptist Baylor Bullshit, to holler out at such ignorance in her home state. Rolling Eyes

I hope that you're not holding your breath!!!!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Republicans really are disgusting.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/08/23 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inside Brittney Griner's Russia arrest, detainment and release

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39041673/inside-arrest-detainment-release-brittney-griner-russia-viktor-bout

Quote:
Scheindlin, who retired from the bench in 2016, told ESPN the facts suggested to her an international arms dealer who might have been amoral, but was not a terrorist or a supporter of terrorism.

"I never thought he was an active threat to Americans' lives.

PostPosted: 12/09/23 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39041673/inside-arrest-detainment-release-brittney-griner-russia-viktor-bout

Quote:
Scheindlin, who retired from the bench in 2016, told ESPN the facts suggested to her an international arms dealer who might have been amoral, but was not a terrorist or a supporter of terrorism.

Thank's for posting this pilight. It was a very interesting read.

PostPosted: 01/03/24 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Thank's for posting this pilight. It was a very interesting read.

I wanted to echo this. Thanks Pilight for posting the link.
I am just floored at the dozens of people connected to this situation in both big and small ways, and of course the political chess game that went along with it.

I had read somewhere prior to TJ's article that Russia had been hyper-focused on searching and detaining Americans several months prior to Griner's situation to due the amped US/Russia rhetoric. BD walked right into a nightmare.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: