RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Providence @ #3 UConn, 12/2/22, 7pm EST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/02/22 2:56 pm    ::: Providence @ #3 UConn, 12/2/22, 7pm EST Reply Reply with quote

TV: SNY

Radio: UConn Sports Network from Learfield (97-9 ESPN)

STREAMING:

UConn's SNY games will be available to stream in-market (CT, NY, NJ, PA) to authenticated subscribers via the SNY app.

Out-of-market fans will be able to stream UConn's SNY games at no additional cost to authenticated subscribers who have FOX as part of their television package. Users will need to sign in with their TV provider credentials at https://www.foxsports.com/ or in the FOX Sports app. The games can also be accessed at www.fox.com/sports or in the FOX Now app.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/02/22 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the current player rotation. It's the most pleasing-to-my-eye UConn offense since Jefferson/Tuck/Stewart.

UConn experienced the infamous "addition by subtraction" via graduation, IMO, as well as addition by addition- the maturation of Muhl and Edwards, as well as FFLD U. grad xfer Lopez-Senechal, the nouuuuuuu LOUUUUUUUUUUUU.

We need to find another LL-S, for next year, when we will, for the first time in years, imHo, have a legit shot at the NC.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy 2022-'23, which should be a season of much less SingMFH, JFCing, and WTFing for me.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"addition by subtraction"

Right. Muhl wouldn't be averaging 10 assists if her targets were ONO Williams Westbrook instead of Fudd Edwards Senechal.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/22 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

29-8 after 1.

This is a game for UConn fans. Prov is doing a decent job keeping UConn from shooting 3's but the Huskies were 12-14, mostly on drives.

Griffin with 10 pts. (4-4)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/02/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn shooting 70%, 67%, 75% at the 1H, and Muhl has 9 assists.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

54-25 at the half. UConn shooting 70% (67% 3pt)

Leading scorer is Griffin with 15.

8 ft's in the half is a lot for UConn but Prov is overplaying the perimeter so UConn is driving a lot more than any other game this season.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/02/22 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch! Friars played pretty well I thought but they were just overwhelmed. Each Husky played well. Now, on to Notre Dame where things won't be so easy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/02/22 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even given the weak opponent, this was an excellent performance by UConn, team-wise and individual-wise, in all aspects the game.

My favorite subplot was perhaps the performance by DeBerry, who showed effective touch, shot variety and footwork as well as length for rebounding. As my only non-positive impression so far, I've not yet seen shooting or footwork skills from Patterson.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/22 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

98-53 final

The starters were 26-39. 67%. I suppose they should shoot well against PC but that's very efficient. They committed 5 fouls.

No one played 30 min.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/03/22 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game personified my post above. So nice to have shot makers and players who know how to run an offense.

While I'm psyched to watch this team, especially in comparison to the last few years, they aren't winning the NC, but the FF streak may continue.

I wish Geno would teach the concept, and practice, of head fakes to Aubrey Griffin. Her next one will be her first in a UConn uniform, as will the next one she doesn't fall for, defensively.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/22 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Even given the weak opponent, this was an excellent performance by UConn, team-wise and individual-wise, in all aspects the game.

My favorite subplot was perhaps the performance by DeBerry, who showed effective touch, shot variety and footwork as well as length for rebounding. As my only non-positive impression so far, I've not yet seen shooting or footwork skills from Patterson.

yes, every time I see DeBerry, I think she would be getting playing time if she were just about anywhere else. Also agree about Patterson. She may surprise us and improve, but she looks like a permanent bench fixture so long as there are other choices.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
This game personified my post above. So nice to have shot makers and players who know how to run an offense.

While I'm psyched to watch this team, especially in comparison to the last few years, they aren't winning the NC, but the FF streak may continue.

I wish Geno would teach the concept, and practice, of head fakes to Aubrey Griffin. Her next one will be her first in a UConn uniform, as will the next one she doesn't fall for, defensively.

Griffin is shooting 70% & avg 13/6 less than a year after back surgery. With Juhasz out she is playing against bigger players and from what I see she doesn't need to fake, her first step is lethal.

Last year they played in the champiuonship game and you think they are better this year but you give them no shot at a title?

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/22 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

yes, every time I see DeBerry, I think she would be getting playing time if she were just about anywhere else. Also agree about Patterson. She may surprise us and improve, but she looks like a permanent bench fixture so long as there are other choices.

Patterson has played three top 10 teams in her first 5 games. I'll bet she'd have looked much better against CS Northridge or Cal Poly. Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I love the current player rotation.

Just curious, HM, do you mean the rotation with Juhasz in it or the more narrow rotation with Griffin starting instead of Juhasz?

In some games height is obviously important, but it seems clear to me that UConn would not have gotten out to as fast starts as they have in at least two games if Juhasz had been a starter instead of Griffin. Griffin's perimeter defense, steals, floor running, and drives have given UConn a lot of juice right out the the gate. And I'm one who has always believed that the first five minutes of the first and second halves can be so crucial as to be often outcome determinative.

On the other hand, a starting lineup with only one 6-3 player (AE) and everyone else 6-1 or less seems small, even by UConn standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: