RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#12 North Carolina St @ #10 Iowa - 12/01/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/22 6:48 pm    ::: #12 North Carolina St @ #10 Iowa - 12/01/22 Reply Reply with quote

Iowa City, IA - 8:30 PM ET
TV: ESPN2 (Pam Ward, Stephanie White)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/cb5d0f19-c696-4151-9bd2-b340933c2d96#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://youtu.be/4Fwwc37rgT4

Live stats:
https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=431395

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/01/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark toying with Wolfpack Legos in the 1Q.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/01/22 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark with 24 at the 1H, scything through the Wolfpack wheat like the grim reaper, except she's leading an army of the dead. Her teammates have contributed only four baskets, and the Hawkeye's are down four.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/01/22 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First half box score for Iowa:

*Not pictured: Hannah Stuelke with 6 points off the bench.

PostPosted: 12/01/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pretty embarrassing performance for every Iowa player not named Clark.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/01/22 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quite an exciting flame-throwing exchange of offensive firepower in the second half, Clark scoring 45 points, but the Wolf playing much more as a coordinated Pack.

Clark is the best self-shot-creating player in women's basketball, but her Himalayan ball domination ultimately hurts her team. You can't have one player taking almost half the team's shots and making more than half.
Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/22 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very interesting game, to me. I hadn't seen NC St. play yet this year, and so I was nicely surprised to see them adjust after their dull start. Was Czinano just *off* or was the defense too good on her? To me she just looked *off* her A game.
ETA: Rivers and Johnson were a terrific duo....Johnson especially is just FUN to watch.

Last edited by Howee on 12/02/22 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/22 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Very interesting game, to me. I hadn't seen NC St. play yet this year, and so I was nicely surprised to see them adjust after their dull start. Was Czinano just *off* or was the defense too good on her? To me she just looked *off* her A game.

Jakia Brown Turner and Jada Boyd are simply too athletic for Czinano.

As for Clark, she is a whirlwind of greatness. With that being said, she uses her forearm to push off without ever getting called for offensive fouls better than anyone i've ever seen. She does it almost every time she drives.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/22 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Jakia Brown Turner and Jada Boyd are simply too athletic for Czinano.

As for Clark, she is a whirlwind of greatness. With that being said, she uses her forearm to push off without ever getting called for offensive fouls better than anyone i've ever seen. She does it almost every time she drives.

I know exactly what you're talking about, BUT....I've been doing lots of replays in various games and I've come to a conclusion that never occurred to me before (and maybe some of you who have actually played the guard position at a high level might better clarify this theory - I always played in the post Razz)

When a dynamic guard and a dynamic defender are beginning that 'drive' motion, they're taught to play physically close, to play side-to-belly against each other. If the defender is using her size/weight to lean in, AND the guard is bracing against that more stationary weight, WHEN the defender moves backward and gives some space, the guard with the ball has their balance thrown off just a teeny bit, and their arm comes out to rectify the momentary imbalance.

Analogy: You're leaning on a sturdy post on a waterfront pier, with your arm down and your (side) weight being supported by the post. If that post suddenly gives way and falls over into the water, I guarantee your arm is going to fling outward to counterbalance the change in weight distribution that happens, to keep you from falling into the water.

I've seen a LOT of players other than Clark do this same thing. And we've all seen the players who know how to play off of it: Dramatically throw your head back, and fall down. Deja Kelly could give lessons on it. Razz Done well, it's effective on getting O-fouls called.

And there are most certainly the guards with the ball that DO push off intentionally, especially if it's a much larger defender, but....having seen a lot of those calls this year, I'm beginning to think it's not as 'obvious' as we fans think it is. I remember one of the announcers last night saying something about last season's point of emphasis on reining in the flopping, but also pointed out the obvious: there's no consequence for it.... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: