RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

W.N.B.A. Stars to Head Overseas Despite Griner’s Arrest
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/03/22 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the teams have played one game now.

As had been reported, Alex Bentley returned to Ekaterinburg.

The league website has some players listed on rosters who did not dress for their teams' openers. Foreign players in that category include Tina Krajisnik at Ekaterinburg, which had been reported, and Pre Stanley at Nadezhda Orenburg.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/07/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pre Stanley and Mya Hollingshed both played in Round 2 on Friday.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/12/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serbian wing Nevena Jovanovic is the third foreigner to play for Nika Syktyvkar.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/19/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samara, which has four Americans on their men's team, recently signed two foreigners, Brazilian wing Isabela Ramona and Serbian guard Sanja Mandic. Foreigners are allowed in their cup competition this season so both players made their debuts over the weekend.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/27/22 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who did not know, Ukraine started their basketball leagues over the weekend with all local and mostly younger players, given that no foreigners are playing in the country and that most players with sufficient reputations signed in other countries. The first two games were played without incident, but the third one had to be postponed due to air raid sirens indicating that the city that the game was being played in was not safe. A fourth game was played successfully.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/30/22 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Krajisnik played her first game for Ekaterinburg.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/31/22 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Seems incredible to me that someone with Krajisnik's resume can't find a gig in Italy/Spain/France/wherever that would pay her something approaching whatever she's getting in Ekaterinburg - and therefore be a more favourable choice. Even if for whatever reason you feel like you're protected from potential political issues by your European-ness, surely the reduced chance of being blown up must be worth something. It's not like Ekaterinburg has ever seemed like a particularly nice place to be even when everything's hunky dory. It's basically Siberia.

If that's the only option my agent can find me, I'm looking for a new agent.

PostPosted: 10/31/22 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't feel this way, but if she felt that safety wasn't an issue for her and Ekat were offering $50k more than the best France/Turkey/etc offer then maybe it was just too hard to turn down that extra cash.
I know people who have changed jobs for a much smaller increase than that.

PostPosted: 10/31/22 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Ekat being still banned from Euroleague play, is the money still good in Russia?

Hard to believe the Oligarch's, in Russia, are still tossing out the Rubles as they were in the past.

SPD

PostPosted: 10/31/22 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Jenna Staiti is heading overseas

"Hoopergirl is going international"

https://twitter.com/JennaStaiti/status/1587179800531292160

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/31/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even with Griner in the news, the American men who play for Astana have started to travel to Russia for away games instead of just playing the home games in Kazakhstan as they had since the league resumed after the invasion.

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Seems incredible to me that someone with Krajisnik's resume can't find a gig in Italy/Spain/France/wherever that would pay her something approaching whatever she's getting in Ekaterinburg - and therefore be a more favourable choice. Even if for whatever reason you feel like you're protected from potential political issues by your European-ness, surely the reduced chance of being blown up must be worth something. It's not like Ekaterinburg has ever seemed like a particularly nice place to be even when everything's hunky dory. It's basically Siberia.

If that's the only option my agent can find me, I'm looking for a new agent.

I definitely do not understand some of the foreign men playing in Russia's second division. There has to be at least comparable money out there for people in that bracket, but some of the players are veterans of the league.

At the top level on the men's side, some players specifically cited being paid close to the same for far fewer games since they are not playing in European competitions so I could see her choosing that.

IM in OC wrote:
With Ekat being still banned from Euroleague play, is the money still good in Russia?

Hard to believe the Oligarch's, in Russia, are still tossing out the Rubles as they were in the past.

I am not sure how the Russian teams managed to pay the men who stayed or returned last season, but it would certainly not surprise me if we get stories of players being unable to access the money that they were paid over the next year. The women's league was contemplating salary caps, which Ekaterinburg was not in favor of, and it seems pretty likely that teams were having to limit their own spending. On the men's side, salaries appear to have dropped some, but we will likely have a better idea if they disclose everything in the future like they have in recent seasons.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/31/22 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, you're definitely requiring payment in euros or dollars, not rubles, and deposited into an account that isn't based in Russia. And the first time a check doesn't appear on the exact specified day, scarper. At least that way it should only be the final payment you lose rather than the whole lot.

Having been born and grown up in Serbia, maybe being surrounded by wars and bombing seems like such a part of life to Krajisnik she's less concerned by it than many others would be.

PostPosted: 11/01/22 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenna Staiti is heading to play in northern Spain - Basket Zaragoza!

https://twitter.com/CasademontZGZ/status/1587387379412869120

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/01/22 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Jenna Staiti is heading to play in northern Spain - Basket Zaragoza!

https://twitter.com/CasademontZGZ/status/1587387379412869120

Former Georgia players helping each other out there as the foreign player spot that she will occupy is available because of Merritt Hempe leaving for USK Prague.
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/14/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Ezinne Kalu might have gotten injured, but it turns out that she is the latest American woman to have signed in Russia, making her debut with Dynamo Kursk today. Not sure if Liz Cambage has any opinions on her travel choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: