RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

S. Carolina Cancels BYU Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/17/22 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
My anscesters were Russian serfs from around 1100 to 1875, when the czar freed them. Then they were loaded into the holds of ships and sent to the US to work for subsistence wages in the CT textile industy. So when compensation for slavery and oppression are dolled out I want my share.

C'mon dude....you GOTTA be able to see the enormous difference between the 2 models!...To say your ancestral history - and deserved compensation - is the same as today's American Blacks is laughable.

X____________________ Tragically misinformed seems appropriate, too.

Another thing worth pointing out is that your ancestors were oppressed in another continent halfway around the world. If you want compensation, go talk to the Russians. Reparations for Black folks is related to what happened to them in the United States by the (white men running the) United States.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/22 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just as an add-on. In the South, some of the worst atrocities against Blacks have been carried out by the lowest, poorest Whites. It's like they went 'aha, someone lower than us so we can torment them with impunity'...and they did, and probably still do.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/18/22 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There seems to be an assumption in some posts here that being black equates to being descendant of slaves. Not true. Indeed, this is the single most contentious issue in the proceedings of the California reparations board and other places considering reparations. As I understand it, the board for the time being is adopting an approach requiring proof of lineage back to the 19th century but not requiring lineage to known slaves. There is a significant portion of black people in this country whose ancestors came here from Africa or the Caribbean after WWII. I haven't studied the issues or the numbers, and I consider it largely irrelevant to the larger issues of modern racism ( e.g., I don't think anyone analyzes lineage before shouting racist slurs) but the foundation for some posts here seems misplaced.

ridor

PostPosted: 09/19/22 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many years ago, I was the coach for middle school girls basketball team at a deaf school. Like me, all my players are Deaf. I noticed that the other players from hearing (actually private) schools in DC area would make fun of my players by impersonating our sign language. I did not like it and I told the opposing coach about it. He dismissed me. My players complained about it. Told my boss not to play them again for next year's edition. And we did not play them.

Dawn Staley has every right to protect her players and coaches like that. No big deal.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/19/22 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Many years ago, I was the coach for middle school girls basketball team at a deaf school. Like me, all my players are Deaf. I noticed that the other players from hearing (actually private) schools in DC area would make fun of my players by impersonating our sign language. I did not like it and I told the opposing coach about it. He dismissed me. My players complained about it. Told my boss not to play them again for next year's edition. And we did not play them.

Dawn Staley has every right to protect her players and coaches like that. No big deal.

What happened to you and your team was horrible and you did the right thing by not playing them again.

The difference here is that NOTHING happened to Dawn and/or her team. From all accounts, nothing happened at all.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/19/22 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ridor wrote:

The difference here is that NOTHING happened to Dawn and/or her team. From all accounts, nothing happened at all.

My assumption is that coaches have full control over their non-conference schedule (if someone more informed has other information, please share). If Dawn decides she wants to cancel on BYU because of an alleged racist incident, she can. If Pat decides she wants to cancel on UConn because of an alleged recruiting violation*, she can. If <insert coach here> wants to cancel on <insert team here>, they can. I don't think a coach even needs to say a reason publicly when they choose to cancel. I imagine there may be money, contracts, and/or other bureaucratic things to work out (though perhaps not since this is women's basketball and not football?), but I don't think Dawn, Pat, or any other coach "owes" it to any team to play them.

*I know there was a lot of drama around this, and I didn't go back to read all the details and fine print.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/19/22 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
.... but I don't think Dawn, Pat, or any other coach "owes" it to any team to play them.

Well - if you've established a good faith contract well in advance for a home-and-home series - you sorta DO owe something.

It's all kinda moot right now. Life will go on. Cool

PostPosted: 09/19/22 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ridor wrote:

My assumption is that coaches have full control over their non-conference schedule (if someone more informed has other information, please share). If Dawn decides she wants to cancel on BYU because of an alleged racist incident, she can. If Pat decides she wants to cancel on UConn because of an alleged recruiting violation*, she can. If <insert coach here> wants to cancel on <insert team here>, they can. I don't think a coach even needs to say a reason publicly when they choose to cancel. I imagine there may be money, contracts, and/or other bureaucratic things to work out (though perhaps not since this is women's basketball and not football?), but I don't think Dawn, Pat, or any other coach "owes" it to any team to play them.

*I know there was a lot of drama around this, and I didn't go back to read all the details and fine print.

Again, that happened TO Pat and TN. If Dawn had been coaching at the time would it have been appropriate for her to cancel an upcoming home and home with UConn because of Pat's perception?

And I don't know for sure, but I would think that there would be some money headed to BYU for cancelling the games.

Somewhat related, Oregon fans chanted "Fuck the Mormans" at the game with BYU this weekend. Apparently USC did the same a year ago. So I guess there are two more teams that Dawn won't be scheduling. She's going to end up without anybody to play!!!

https://www.tmz.com/2022/09/19/univ-of-oregon-apologizes-after-fans-chant-f-the-mormons-at-byu-game/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/22 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I haven't seen Dawn's press release or Tweet proclaiming that she has cancelled or will refuse to play future games with the University of Oregon based on Oregon fans chanting "Fuck the Mormons" at multiple points during the BYU@Ore football game last Saturday.

Come on Dawn. I'm waiting. Don't be a hypocrite. This one isn't even in doubt. You can watch the video yourself all over the internet. I don't know if you could hear it during the live Fox network broadcast (which had 2.3 million viewers).

Since you don't care how peripheral and unrelated to your team, school, or sport bigoted slurs can be to warrant a refusal to play in the future, this obviously qualifies just as much as the dubious Duke volleyball incident.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/22 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ridor wrote:

I'm sure she can cancel, if she pays all the buyouts and cancellation fees her contract specifies.

And if she'd just quietly done that, I doubt anybody would have said a word about it or even noticed. But cancelling didn't require her standing up and shouting "Hey everybody, look at me, don't forget me, the self-proclaimed savior, hero, protector and leader of black athletes everywhere." But then, if she hadn't diverted the spotlight from Richardson and Duke (where it belonged) to herself, there wouldn't have been any benefit to her in cancelling, would there.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/19/22 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Somewhat related, Oregon fans chanted "Fuck the Mormans" at the game with BYU this weekend. Apparently USC did the same a year ago.

Yeah, this shit is deplorable; is it more commonplace than it was, or just more attention given to it. Given how large numbers of people proudly display the "Fuck Joe Biden" banners for all to see, it's not a stretch to say The Orange Turd has helped all this along.

PostPosted: 09/20/22 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC football coach yells at women athletes, apologizes, and Dawn says all is forgiven.

Quote:
Dawn Staley expressed her support for South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer on Monday after he apologized for yelling at women athletes to get off the field during a game Saturday.

Quote:
Sorry I've been under a rock the last few days...

Anybody else thinking that the university prompted her to make a comment in support of the football coach??? And this is the cover for her silence?

Free article -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2022/09/19/south-carolina-dawn-staley-defends-coach-shane-beamer/10431344002/

calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/20/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
SC football coach yells at women athletes, apologizes, and Dawn says all is forgiven.

Quote:
Dawn Staley expressed her support for South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer on Monday after he apologized for yelling at women athletes to get off the field during a game Saturday.

Quote:

Anybody else thinking that the university prompted her to make a comment in support of the football coach??? And this is the cover for her silence?

Free article -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2022/09/19/south-carolina-dawn-staley-defends-coach-shane-beamer/10431344002/

I guess it just isn't as traumatizing to have arguably the most powerful person in their sports department yell at the entire women's program's athletes.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/22 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Free article -

I guess it just isn't as traumatizing to have arguably the most powerful person in their sports department yell at the entire women's program's athletes.

Oh, c'mon.....football coaches yell at EVERYBODY. It's not like he was taunting them with racial slurs. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/20/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Free article -

Oh, c'mon.....football coaches yell at EVERYBODY. It's not like he was taunting them with racial slurs. Rolling Eyes

The article says he didn't know what they were doing out there. I'd probably yell too if a bunch of unknown people showed up on my field/court/rink between quarters. The AD should have asked or at least notified the coach this was going to happen.

DivaORcat16

PostPosted: 09/20/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn’t get why between quarters. Why not halftime? Give them more time and acknowledgment. Versus stuffing them in as an afterthought

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/21/22 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
My anscesters were Russian serfs from around 1100 to 1875, when the czar freed them. Then they were loaded into the holds of ships and sent to the US to work for subsistence wages in the CT textile industy. So when compensation for slavery and oppression are dolled out I want my share.

C'mon dude....you GOTTA be able to see the enormous difference between the 2 models!...To say your ancestral history - and deserved compensation - is the same as today's American Blacks is laughable.

X____________________ Tragically misinformed seems appropriate, too.

Another thing worth pointing out is that your ancestors were oppressed in another continent halfway around the world. If you want compensation, go talk to the Russians. Reparations for Black folks is related to what happened to them in the United States by the (white men running the) United States.

WAY too many willfully ignorant people posting on this thread. Some real, non-sanitized history needs to be studied about the massively inhumane treatment of Black and Native people in this country. The white false sense of mass persecution is pure ignorance.

ALL Black people living in this country have been targeted for discrimination, torture and murder, no matter if they had enslaved ancestors or not. That continues to this day as police and sheriff departments continue to condone having ancestors of "slave patrols" on their roster with a primary goal of using their taxpayer funded weapons to kill as many Black people as they can get away with.

And yes, this is 100% relevant to the initial topic. Racial slurs lead to violent acts which lead to murders. Targeted people learn to have a quick trigger to avoid what comes after a slur. One person being triggered when there isn't a confirmation of the slur is a non-issue. She learned how to survive being Black in this country, where "breathing while Black" is still punished by death.

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/06/22 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Subscriber article.

Quote:
"I believe Rachel heard what she heard,'' (Gloria Nevarez, commissioner of the WCC) told USA TODAY Sports, "I also believe BYU conducted a thorough and transparent investigation and could not pinpoint perpetrator or perpetrators. And a lot of folks aren’t of the mind that you can have both truths.

"So for me that’s a starting place. And what guides me in working with BYU, I really did not feel they were trying to hide the ball. If I had sensed they were conflicted and maybe not doing enough or trying to sweep it under the rug or not going far enough to in questioning witnesses or involving law enforcement, then I would have suggested an outside firm or additional outside review.''

Quote:
“We almost knew something was going to happen,'' Isabel Rolley, a defender at USC last year, told USA TODAY Sports. "It was just a matter of when.''

Quote:
Rolley said she and her teammates knew what to expect when they showed up for road games wearing Black Lives Still Matter T-shirts before they kneeled during the anthem.

“We got a lot of backlash,'' said Rolley, who has transferred to Oregon. "But out of the places we played that year, BYU was probably like, in our uniformed opinion, the most racist or least progressive place we went to.''

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2022/10/06/byu-duke-volleyball-soccer-racism-allegations/8090762001/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: