RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Seattle Storm 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 9165
Location: St. Paul, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/22 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Main priority is getting Stewie back and sign Sloot


What if Stewart (or any player) that intends to play overseas don't sign with a team until they come back? If they are not under contract the league cannot fine them right?

Is this a loophole in the prioritization rule? (If it goes into effect)
Question Question



_________________
The meteor cannot come fast enough. Start this thing over.
TDAO



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 552



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/22 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
What if Stewart (or any player) that intends to play overseas don't sign with a team until they come back? If they are not under contract the league cannot fine them right?

Is this a loophole in the prioritization rule? (If it goes into effect)
Question Question

The rule as written applies retroactively to fine any player who subsequently signs during training camp and prohibits a player who isn't back by 2023 opening night (start of training camp 2024 and beyond) from signing a contract whether they are under contract at the time or not. So no loopholes.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23927
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
What if Stewart (or any player) that intends to play overseas don't sign with a team until they come back? If they are not under contract the league cannot fine them right?

Is this a loophole in the prioritization rule? (If it goes into effect)
Question Question

The rule as written applies retroactively to fine any player who subsequently signs during training camp and prohibits a player who isn't back by 2023 opening night (start of training camp 2024 and beyond) from signing a contract whether they are under contract at the time or not. So no loopholes.

Article coming soon from me at Her Hoop Stats diving into all of this further (once I fix/replace my laptop to enable myself to write it). But yeah, what TDAO said. That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

The whole section was clearly written in an effort to prevent loopholes, even if a team wanted to help the player find them. Hence why it says at every stage that the league will impose the fines/suspensions, not the teams.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
TDAO



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 552



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

It is possible the decision to sit out the season produces less guilt if you're a free agent rather than specifically under contract, so I understand it from that standpoint.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23927
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/22 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

It is possible the decision to sit out the season produces less guilt if you're a free agent rather than specifically under contract, so I understand it from that standpoint.

Yeah, similar to how we see a significant number of player force trades when they're out of contract but a team still holds their rights. There does often seem to be an element of feeling the need to honour a contract, even though it really makes very little difference to these situations in practice.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2542
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/22 10:22 am    ::: Re: Seattle Storm 2023 Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
No more Sue Bird commanding the point for the Storm. Does Stewart return? Where does Seattle go from here? Lots of questions this off season to answer.


On the, "does Stewart return" front, I would think that Puma, who just spent a lot of money making her their premiere athlete and even giving her a shoe, would not be pleased if she skipped the WNBA season. She must have something in her contract about playing in the WNBA with them. I think her comments at the beginning of the season about prioritization and her one-year deal, were done more to get people talking about it and hopefully igniting some sort of mini-revolt for change. I could be very wrong, but something tells me Puma should/could have a lot to stay about her W status.

I mean, I love Stewie, but these players signed this CBA knowing full well that prioritization was in there and to me, the owners have every right to make sure their employees are at work.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23927
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's definitely been a lot of posturing on both sides of the prioritization stuff. No idea exactly what the repurcussions on endorsements could be for missing the season. It might be a bigger story if she doesn't play than just turning up like normal. Diggins-Smith launched her range with Puma and then walked away from the Mercury about 48 hours later.

I don't blame the owners for wanting the players there on time, but it's clear that the salaries still aren't high enough to keep them from playing overseas. Many still make more in Europe than the US. So why should they prioritize the US? And the danger is obviously losing star players who call their bluff. Does it help the WNBA if everyone who plays is there on time for camp, but that means, say, 5 of the top 10 players in the world don't play at all?



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
craigmont



Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 893
Location: Bing-town


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Puma is a German company.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 3415



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Puma is a German company.


Stewie's shoe was just released in North America, which is Puma's biggest market. I can't see Puma being happy about Stewie disappearing from an American league.


ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 9165
Location: St. Paul, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/22 2:31 pm    ::: Re: Seattle Storm 2023 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
No more Sue Bird commanding the point for the Storm. Does Stewart return? Where does Seattle go from here? Lots of questions this off season to answer.


On the, "does Stewart return" front, I would think that Puma, who just spent a lot of money making her their premiere athlete and even giving her a shoe, would not be pleased if she skipped the WNBA season. She must have something in her contract about playing in the WNBA with them. I think her comments at the beginning of the season about prioritization and her one-year deal, were done more to get people talking about it and hopefully igniting some sort of mini-revolt for change. I could be very wrong, but something tells me Puma should/could have a lot to stay about her W status.

I mean, I love Stewie, but these players signed this CBA knowing full well that prioritization was in there and to me, the owners have every right to make sure their employees are at work.


I've always wondered if players vote on each element of the CBA? And, if so, what the percentage were in agreement on prioritization? Or, maybe most players didn't care about it because they don't play overseas anyway?



_________________
The meteor cannot come fast enough. Start this thing over.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23927
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/22 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They vote on whether to accept the finished document, but not on every last independent section. You have representatives and committees and lawyers to do all that. I'm sure there's plenty of discussion though, and agents should be paying close attention if they're doing their jobs.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ChicagoAnnie



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 9165
Location: St. Paul, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They vote on whether to accept the finished document, but not on every last independent section. You have representatives and committees and lawyers to do all that. I'm sure there's plenty of discussion though, and agents should be paying close attention if they're doing their jobs.


Thank you Wink



_________________
The meteor cannot come fast enough. Start this thing over.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin