RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mercury owner suspended by NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/14/22 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have reached peak “weird hill to die on but at least you’re dead” on that CP3 thing, and it’s not even an important part of the thread. Good game, everybody.

Let’s hope that Sarver didn’t care enough about the Mercury to expose them to his charming, winning personality for any length of time. Because, really, hasn’t that roster been through enough? I could forgive Charles a lot of things if she decided to napalm her bridges with Phoenix and reveal any shadiness there that would have contributed to her leaving.

(now with spelling variations)
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/15/22 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
We have reached peak “weird hill to die on but at least you’re dead” on that CP3 thing, and it’s not even an important part of the thread. Good game, everybody.

Laughing Part of what I love about this place - the witty statements! But yes, how easily we get sidetracked from the post subjects...
Queenie wrote:
Let’s hope that Sarver didn’t care enough about the Mercury to expose them to his charming, winning personality for any length of time. Because, really, hasn’t that roster been through enough?

One of my first thoughts was whether some part of this was a factor with SDS' sudden departure. Or any of the other messed up dynamics the Merc displayed. It's a sad situation in any case and unfortunately this stuff is always happening - sexual, homophobic, racial, ethnic disrespect is all around. People who don't experience it say we are being "too sensitive" and that it's "not that serious". But when microaggressions happen all the time, there's a point where an encounter is the last straw, and that can play itself out so many ways - and not always good... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/15/22 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears to me Robert Sarver demeaning actions were similar to former Los Angeles Clippers Owner Donald Sterling. The NBA has set a precedent and Robert Sarver should suffer the same fate as Donald Sterling being force out of the league.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/15/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
It appears to me Robert Sarver demeaning actions were similar to former Los Angeles Clippers Owner Donald Sterling. The NBA has set a precedent and Robert Sarver should suffer the same fate as Donald Sterling being force out of the league.

Yes. Absolutely. Adam Silver's explanation for his decision is total crap.

PostPosted: 09/15/22 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Unfortunately, I don’t think they have Sarver on tape the way they had Sterling. No matter how many witness statements you gather, none of them have the impact of someone damning himself out of his own mouth, not when he had people backing up his side of the story as well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/15/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jahm Najafi, the vice chairman and second largest stakeholder in the Phoenix Suns, has called on Robert Sarver to resign in an open letter to Suns' fans. He says he doesn't want to become the managing partner himself but will work to find someone new. Bravo!

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-jahm-najafi-robert-sarver-resignation-20220916-odnor7mx2na4jaesbanhg3fp5i-story.html

PostPosted: 09/18/22 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This from Chris Paul's twitter

Like many others, I reviewed the report. I was and am horrified and disappointed by what I read. This conduct especially towards women is unacceptable and must never be repeated.

https://twitter.com/CP3/status/1570220416224075779

I am of the view that the sanctions fell short in truly addressing what we can all agree was atrocious behavior. My heart goes out to all of the people that were affected.

https://twitter.com/CP3/status/1570220418191228928

Adam Silver's response to criticism

Critics of Sarver's one-year suspension point to to Sterling's lifetime ban as precedent for the league to strip Sarver of his ownership. NBA commissioner Adam Silver addressed the league's decision on Wednesday while noting that Sterling's comments were heard publicly via audio recording. Sarver's comments were not.

"The situations were dramatically different," Silver told reporters. "I think what we saw in the case of Donald Sterling was blatant racist conduct directed at a select group of people. While, it’s difficult to know what is in someone’s heart or in their mind, we heard those words and then there was a follow-up from the league office and that became public as well in terms of what Mr. Sterling even subsequently said about his actions.

"In the case of Robert Sarver, we're looking at the totality of circumstances over an 18-year period in which he's owned these teams. Ultimately, I made a judgment that in the circumstances in which he had used that language and that behavior while, as I said it was indefensible, it’s not strong enough. It’s beyond the pale in every possible way to use language and behave that way, but that it was wholly of a different kind than what we saw in that earlier case."

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/22 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34636682/robert-sarver-says-starting-process-sell-nba-phoenix-suns-wnba-phoenix-mercury

Quote:
Embattled owner Robert Sarver on Wednesday announced that he has begun the process to sell both the NBA's Phoenix Suns and WNBA's Phoenix Mercury franchises.

"As a man of faith, I believe in atonement and the path to forgiveness," Sarver said in a statement Wednesday. "I expected that the commissioner's one-year suspension would provide the time for me to focus, make amends and remove my personal controversy from the teams that I and so many fans love.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I come from a family that mostly communicates via passive-aggressive guilt trips and his statement is still one of the most passive-aggressive things I’ve ever read. Dude is not sorry about a thing he said, just sorry that he got caught.

Here’s hoping the Suns and Mercury find a buyer for Sarver’s portion of the teams quickly, that said buyer is committed to keeping both teams in the Phoenix area, that said buyer has the wherewithal to commit money to the Mercury the way owners like Davis and Tsai have, and that there are no more remarkable skeletons in said buyer’s closet than one might expect from someone rich enough to buy sports teams.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/21/22 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if he is going to sell the teams as a package deal, but I can see a businessman / ownership group from Washington buying the Suns and moving the men's team to Seattle in that new arena.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If he’s selling, it could hurt expansion, unless mega rich owners are lined up to buy into the WNBA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/21/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarver stands to make about $2,000,000,000 on the sale. He'll make millions more in speaking engagements railing against "cancel culture". His reputation won't be damaged in the eyes of anyone he cares about. All he's really losing are courtside seats.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I don't know if he is going to sell the teams as a package deal, but I can see a businessman / ownership group from Washington buying the Suns and moving the men's team to Seattle in that new arena.

Phoenix is considered a very good NBA market, so it's unlikely they'd be moved.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Phoenix is considered a very good NBA market, so it's unlikely they'd be moved.

Also, aren't there already plans for a Seattle expansion team?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: