28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Aces
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 14

Shades

PostPosted: 07/06/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s not who starts. It’s who finishes. Might as well keep Han Xu humble while you can.

I wouldn’t be predicting the demise of the Aces just yet. They’ve played a lot of games the past couple of weeks and ran into a hot-shooting Liberty club. I still feel they’ll be the team to beat when everything shakes out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/06/22 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s not who starts. It’s who finishes. Might as well keep Han Xu humble while you can.

I wouldn’t be predicting the demise of the Aces just yet. They’ve played a lot of games the past couple of weeks and ran into a hot-shooting Liberty club. I still feel they’ll be the team to beat when everything shakes out.

They should play Xu at the Beginning of the game. Play Xu during the Middle of the game. Most definitely play Xu at the End of the game. Dolson is on a UberEATS assignment.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 07/07/22 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
canadaball

PostPosted: 07/07/22 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Old adage: defense wins championships. The Aces are a terrible defensive unit. At the start of season, coach Becky surprised league using zone and switching/trapping defenses. Now the W has caught up. In every game, LV just cannot get any stops. Looking at the personnel: Plum is having an MVP year offensively, but she is a negative on defense; her size puts her at huge disadvantage in switches. Chelsea Gray has never been a strong defender, and the Hamby/Wilson combo does have trouble defending talented bigs (Dela being prime example). In the last 2 games, Minny, and now NY shredded the Aces. There are better offensive teams higher in the standings. It is hard to see LV beating these teams in the playoffs; particularly when, in the regular season, the weak bench forces key players to play huge stressful minutes every night.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/07/22 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu is looking more and more mobile and skilled. Her Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is 23.6, the highest on the Liberty.

Xu 23.6. (6th in league)
Ionescu 20.2 (15th in league)
Howard 15.3
Johannes 14.7
Dolson 13.0

https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/teams/NYL/2022.html

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 07/07/22 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't know a lot about aces, but maybe lets start stokes or plaisance and bring hamby back off the bench?
don't need to start the only 5 offensive threats on the team.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Patience with newer players coming into a (possibly new) system and/or recovering from injuries, and having coaches who know how to tweak the chemistry, goes a long way! Not convinced about Brondello here, but I figured Johannes would be a spark, Han would get the hang of things, and Ionescu would pull it together!

Dang - that looks like an All Star game score! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't recall seeing a shootout like this game before in the W. It must be a record score for a regulation game, in many aspects.

A'ja has grown into a three-point shooter and charging bull. Stokes is shooting threes and actually running and sprinting at times. Thought she was an imposter when I first saw her do these things. Johannes has shown to have Arike range and Han Shu is developing into a super star. Just love her game!
Last night they were the real Liberty Torches.

For the first time in over a decade, I can again enjoy and root for the NYL without an anxiety attack. Very Happy

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I really didn’t know what to expect coming into the game. You can see Vegas is clearly a fatigued team. So the Libs essentially got them at the right time. Teams that have contained Sabrina to some extent have done so with a combination of physical ball denial and/or that hard hedging or trapping. Vegas just couldn’t do either. For them the break is clearly arriving at the right time.

Combine that with NY being sharp and energetic establishing their offense and it was a pretty good recipe. Sabrina is now at 17 points, 7.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists, which are just unreal WNBA numbers.

From a matchup standpoint the Libs miss Laney. On a team that has two clear playmakers in Sabrina and MJ, I’m wondering how Laney’s playmaking will fit in when she returns. But if you try to be physical with Sabrina and MJ, Laney is a nice alternate matchup to go to.

Hopefully the Libs continue to play well through this challenging stretch. The last eight games are all against teams they are close to in the standings.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beating a short-handed PHX team 3 times shouldn’t have been enough to claim the Aces were the best team anyways. Vegas is actually pretty fortunate to not have an additional loss to Minnesota as well as a couple to Dallas.

I still think they have trouble guarding the 3 pt line at times and that has really been an issue for them since the Bubble season. Outside of that, the defense just isn’t as good in general for whatever reason. Then the bench unit just isn’t good enough. Carrying that many players that ultimately don’t play hardly ever works out in the long run.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i don't know a lot about aces, but maybe lets start stokes or plaisance and bring hamby back off the bench?
don't need to start the only 5 offensive threats on the team.

I was thinking last night they need to start Plaisance and Williams, and bring Hamby, Plum, and Rupert off the bench. Or something similar. Last night, the bench played the best they have all season but it's largely because Williams finally found her shot and Rupert has gotten a little experience and confidence under her belt. Plaisance and Stokes are a big dropoff when they come in and are limited to a few serviceable minutes, and Bell, Sheppard, and Colson are collectively useless.

This stretch of the schedule didn't help LV either. They played SEA, MIN twice, and NYL in 8 days with 3 of those games on the road. Gray looked discombobulated the whole time.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve seen LV a few times so it’s not like I’m an every game observer. But I did mention early in the season that their pace of play is really high for a team that plays all its starters at least 29.5 minutes per game. While this pace has enabled Young and Plum in particular to show off their skills, it’s difficult to play this way and play consistent defense too.

LV has a lot of players in the all-star game so they’re not going to get that much of a break even though the all-star game isn’t so taxing. But whatever break from the regular season grind should rejuvenate them a little bit. I’d expect a very different Vegas team in Brooklyn for those two games after the break.

Though looking at the remainder of LV’s schedule, they have a break between 7/23 and 7/29 but they have two sets of games that are really congested. And a lot of travel.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

I still think they have trouble guarding the 3 pt line at times and that has really been an issue for them since the Bubble season.

https://stats.wnba.com/teams/opponent/?sort=OPP_FG3_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2021&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

We actually led the WNBA in three-point field goal percentage against in 2021 (.306) after finishing second in 2020 (.311) and 2019 (.321).

Through the end of May this year, we were first in the league holding teams to 28.9 percent from three-point range. Over the last 12 games ... 39.3 percent.

Yikes.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/07/22 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has any time fallen further in season like the Aces has? They have gone from surefire title team to this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: