RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/04/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just learned that another American, a Texas man was arrested by Russian authorities in January 2022. He flew there to retrieve his children after his ex-wife fled the US with them. He still doesn't have a trial date. BG's misfortune a month later became a bigger bargaining chip for Russia.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1543940980897988609

PostPosted: 07/05/22 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone catch BG’s wife Cherelle on CBS Morning today? It was at about the 7:30 mark, maybe a little after, I think.

PostPosted: 07/05/22 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on the “Russian legal system” from Deadline Whitehouse: https://twitter.com/deadlinewh/status/1544468754679095296?s=21&t=baFXspyHu_6aBC_v9AktAg

Quote:
"The problem is that when it comes to the Russian legal system, you have to be willing to believe anything. You know, the Russians will fabricate, plant evidence, gin charges up, so you know, it's totally reasonable to assume the worst" - @michaelcrowley w/ @NicolleDWallace

pilight

PostPosted: 07/05/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it's similar to the American legal system

PostPosted: 07/05/22 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Yes. I love the WNBA in part because the players have spoken out so strongly about this in their support for Black Lives Matter and their remarkable "Say Her Name" season.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes. I love the WNBA in part because the players have spoken out so strongly about this in their support for Black Lives Matter and their remarkable "Say Her Name" season.

I’m not saying our system is a good one…. Just pointing out for those who remain under the delusion that Griner will be dealt with fairly that there’s no such thing under Putin. 😞 Regardless, you’re absolutely right, the WNBA is a leader on a number of fronts.

Here’s another article worth reading on potential deal: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/07/britney-griner-viktor-bout-trade.html

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/06/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Did anyone catch BG’s wife Cherelle on CBS Morning today? It was at about the 7:30 mark, maybe a little after, I think.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brittney-griner-wife-cherelle-russia-biden/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h

PostPosted: 07/06/22 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden spoke with BG's wife.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/07/06/biden-speaks-wife-brittney-griner-drafts-letter-wnba-star/7821626001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So happy to hear that he finally spoke with Cherelle. I hope and pray that it's not performative and they truly do what they need to do to get her home.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
So happy to hear that he finally spoke with Cherelle. I hope and pray that it's not performative and they truly do what they need to do to get her home.

In all honesty, what can Biden do other than cave to whatever demands Russia makes for the exchange and would that be in our country's best interest? This is a heartbreaking situation but it absolutely should not be an emotional reaction to handling this situation. My heart aches for Cherelle and I am glad Biden has met with her.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/06/22 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

In all honesty, what can Biden do other than cave to whatever demands Russia makes for the exchange and would that be in our country's best interest? This is a heartbreaking situation but it absolutely should not be an emotional reaction to handling this situation. My heart aches for Cherelle and I am glad Biden has met with her.

Thanks, johnjohnw. I agree with every word you've written here.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's aggravating to me is that some clueless people are referencing the LiAngelo Ball/China situation to say that if "he" was still president BG would already be home. SMDH...
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/06/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

I hear you and it truly is heartbreaking. I'm just hoping for a "good" outcome.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/06/22 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
What's aggravating to me is that some clueless people are referencing the LiAngelo Ball/China situation to say that if "he" was still president BG would already be home. SMDH...

Well, Trump might have refused to help out of spite, so I don't know how much better off she would be under a Trump administration.

Conversely, Trump also would probably give Putin anything he asked for. So, either way, I'm not convinced Trump would be any better here.

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

I hear you and it truly is heartbreaking. I'm just hoping for a "good" outcome.

As we all are.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/06/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

I didn't know what SMDH meant! Smile Now I do. Totally with you.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

I agree, because there were Americans in custody in Russia before BG's arrest, and T***p didn't get them home.

I don't know if BG's higher profile has brought her trial sooner than the Texas guy that's been there since January or not, but I anticipate his family is about to get louder with their demand for help from the WH too.

Biden already has sanctions up Russia's a$$ now. Other than send in an extraction team, I'm not sure how they can get BG out without trading her for the merchant of death guy.

I'm nervous about 7/7/2022. Since we all know a dismissal, or cancellation of her detention is nearly impossible, I hope there is a continuance of this sham trial. This will buy her time.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

I agree, because there were Americans in custody in Russia before BG's arrest, and T***p didn't get them home.

I don't know if BG's higher profile has brought her trial sooner than the Texas guy that's been there since January or not, but I anticipate his family is about to get louder with their demand for help from the WH too.

Biden already has sanctions up Russia's a$$ now. Other than send in an extraction team, I'm not sure how they can get BG out without trading her for the merchant of death guy.

I'm nervous about 7/7/2022. Since we all know a dismissal, or cancellation of her detention is nearly impossible, I hope there is a continuance of this sham trial. This will buy her time.

One of the articles I read said that she would need to be sentenced first so that she could be pardoned to initiate and exchange. I don't know how true that is.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Griner’s trial resumes as a Russian diplomat criticizes U.S. ‘hype’ over her case.

By Anton Troianovski
July 7, 2022
Updated 6:30 a.m. ET

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/07/world/europe/brittney-griner-trial.html

A top Russian diplomat lashed out at the Biden administration on Thursday for trying to “foment hype” around the case of the detained American basketball star Brittney Griner, hours before her trial was expected to resume in a court near Moscow.

The diplomat, Sergei A. Ryabkov, the deputy foreign minister, said that the publicity around Ms. Griner’s case — American officials say she is essentially a hostage taken by President Vladimir V. Putin amid the war in Ukraine — was not helping her interests.

Mr. Ryabkov indicated that Moscow would be prepared to negotiate her fate, but only after the court reached a verdict on the drug charges that were brought against her. She has been detained in Russia since Feb. 17, accused by the Russian authorities of having a vape cartridge with hashish oil in her luggage at an airport near Moscow.

“We have a long-established form of discussing these matters,” Mr. Ryabkov told reporters on Thursday in Moscow, according to the Interfax news agency. “The American side’s attempts to foment hype and make noise in the public environment are understandable, but they don’t help to practically resolve issues.”

If Ms. Griner is convicted, she faces up to 10 years in a Russian penal colony.

After her trial began last week, she sent a handwritten letter to Mr. Biden asking him not to “forget about” her and other American detainees overseas.

Mr. Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris spoke on Wednesday with Ms. Griner’s wife, Cherelle Griner, according to a statement released by the White House.

During the call, the statement said, the president read a draft of a letter that he planned to send to Brittney Griner. He also said that his administration was pursuing “every avenue to bring Brittney home.”

Cherelle Griner has publicly expressed frustration with Mr. Biden and his administration’s efforts to secure her wife’s release.

In a statement to The New York Times on Wednesday, Cherelle Griner said she was grateful to Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris “for the time they spent with me and for the commitment they expressed to getting B.G. home.”

The United States government has classified Brittney Griner as “wrongfully detained” and is working to secure her release regardless of the outcome of the trial. While the Kremlin claims it has no involvement in Ms. Griner’s case, Russian state media reports have indicated that Moscow may press the United States to free a Russian in American custody — like the convicted arms dealer Viktor Bout — in exchange for her freedom.

Mr. Ryabkov said that until the conclusion of Ms. Griner’s case, “there are no formal procedural grounds” to discuss further steps. He hinted, however, that Moscow was interested in negotiating over her fate, claiming that she would be helped by “a serious reading by the American side of the signals that they received from Russia, from Moscow, through specialized channels.”

He did not specify what those signals were, but insisted that talks on Ms. Griner’s fate should take place out of the public eye, according to Russian news reports.

“Hype and publicity, for all the love for this genre among modern politicians, only gets in the way in this particular instance,” Mr. Ryabkov said, according to the RIA Novosti news agency. “This does not just distract from the case, but creates interference in the truest sense of the word. That’s why silence is needed here.”

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34205952/detained-wnba-star-brittney-griner-pleads-guilty-drug-charges-russia

Detained WNBA star Brittney Griner pleaded guilty on Thursday to bringing hashish oil into Russia, telling a judge that she had done so "inadvertently" while asking the court for mercy.

The move is not expected to end her trial in Khimki, Russia, anytime soon. Even with a guilty plea in Russian criminal courts, the judge will continue to read the full case file into the record and it could still go on for weeks or months

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And of course she isn't given the proper respect from the US Chief of Mission in Moscow, Elizabeth Rood. She referred to her as Ms. Griner when she is married. She should be referred to as Mrs. Griner...but then she's married to a woman and not a man, so there ya go.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“ Given the 99% conviction rate in Russia, Griner likely sees this as her only chance of leniency from a potential 10-year sentence.

If she were truly guilty, however, she likely would have pleaded a long time ago to strike a deal.”

My thoughts exactly: https://twitter.com/adriennelaw/status/1545072307642609667?s=21&t=yeQDjT2AyERczmFWkmmINQ

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/07/22 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
And of course she isn't given the proper respect from the US Chief of Mission in Moscow, Elizabeth Rood. She referred to her as Ms. Griner when she is married. She should be referred to as Mrs. Griner...but then she's married to a woman and not a man, so there ya go.

Enlighten me from my ignorance. Plenty of married heterosexual women go by Ms. Maiden-name after they're married. Is this never done by lesbian couples? Or BG's personal preference? What is the protocol?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/07/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Mrs. is a heteronormative signifier of a woman belonging to a man as her husband and is followed by her husband's last name. It wouldn't make any sense for a lesbian woman, married to another woman, who is using her own last name, to be referred to as Mrs. Griner. Cherelle, however, has taken Brittney's last name and would sensibly be referred to as Mrs. Griner should she deem that appropriate.

Ms. is more than appropriate as the whole point of Ms. is to eliminate the coding of Mrs./Miss to signify marital status.

Right?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/22 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Mrs. is a heteronormative signifier of a woman belonging to a man as her husband and is followed by her husband's last name. It wouldn't make any sense for a lesbian woman, married to another woman, who is using her own last name, to be referred to as Mrs. Griner. Cherelle, however, has taken Brittney's last name and would sensibly be referred to as Mrs. Griner should she deem that appropriate.

Ms. is more than appropriate as the whole point of Ms. is to eliminate the coding of Mrs./Miss to signify marital status.

Right?

None of us (including Hawkeye) knows what Cherelle Griner or her representatives have communicated to the U.S. government. It's quite possible that Cherelle Griner WANTS to be referred to as Ms. Griner. Also possible that she wants to be referred to as Mrs. Griner. Launching an attack without knowing this fact makes no sense.

I read Hawkeye's post as implying that "Mrs." has a higher valuation of "Ms." And indeed it surely does for some women, but it doesn't for lots of others.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The public pressure must be having an effect. Otherwise Ryabkov wouldn't have mentioned it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 18 of 33

Jump to: