Team Stewart
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Team Wilson
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 24

Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/22 1:56 am    ::: Team Stewart vs Team Wilson - 7/10/22 Reply Reply with quote

2022 WNBA All Star Game
Chicago, IL - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ABC

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/79bd151d-aadd-4f1e-993a-8985f38e9477#bucketId=1
https://abc.com/watch-live

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/live/217706/all-star-team-stewart-vs-team-wilson

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20220710/STWWIL/

Team Stewart
Head coach: James Wade, Chicago Sky
— Starters —
Breanna Stewart, Storm (F)
Sue Bird, Storm (G)
Jackie Young, Aces (G)
Jonquel Jones, Sun (F)
Nneka Ogwumike, Sparks (F)

— Reserves —
Jewell Loyd, Storm (G)
Kahleah Copper, Sky (G/F)
Skylar Diggins-Smith, Mercury (G)
Alyssa Thomas, Sun (F)
Arike Ogunbowale, Wings (G)
Emma Meesseman, Sky (F)

Team Wilson
Head coach: Becky Hammon, Las Vegas Aces
— Starters —
A'ja Wilson, Aces (F)
Sylvia Fowles, Lynx (C)
Candace Parker, Sky (F)
Kelsey Plum, Aces (G)
Sabrina Ionescu, Liberty (G)

— Reserves —
Rhyne Howard, Dream (G)
Dearica Hamby, Aces (F)
Courtney Vandersloot, Sky (G)
Ariel Atkins, Mystics (G)
Brionna Jones, Sun (F)
Natasha Howard, Liberty (F)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 07/08/22 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it too early to pin this? It’d be nice to get some more votes for this.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/08/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any thoughts on how to honor BG?

I was thinking it would be a powerful way to show her absence to have four players from each team go out for the jump, but no one playing center. Announce a moment of silence, then have the ref step in, toss the ball and just let it bounce.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/22 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can players like Howard, Atkins, Thomas remember to not play defense?

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/22 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I was thinking it would be a powerful way to show her absence to have four players from each team go out for the jump, but no one playing center. Announce a moment of silence, then have the ref step in, toss the ball and just let it bounce.

I like this idea or some version thereof. Maybe have Syl there to jump, and an empty space on the other side, and she just lets the ball bounce.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/09/22 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I like this idea or some version thereof. Maybe have Syl there to jump, and an empty space on the other side, and she just lets the ball bounce.

That'd be quite appropriate considering the Lynx's penchant for intentionally losing the opening tip.

PostPosted: 07/09/22 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I wondered about that too.

Maybe have one team (I guess we're assuming BG would be Team Stewie), "play"- as in basically go through the motions, no shooting - 4 on 5, one second for every day that BG has been wrongfully detained.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/10/22 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to vote. But my pretend money is on team Wilson.🏀❤️

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JJ taking it way too seriously.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It never takes long to be reminded that the actual basketball played in these games is completely unwatchable.

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These 4-point shots have been worth it so far Wink

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I can hear Myrtle out in the crowd booing Vandersloot for playing defense.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia Fowles with a legit dunk.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OKAY SYL!!

PostPosted: 07/10/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
JJ taking it way too seriously.

I thought that about KP.

ster II

PostPosted: 07/10/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far the game is very entertaining as expected. A few production gaffs however. Ryan Ruuco said, that was a "beautiful powerful moment", referring to all the players lined up at center court with their BG 42 jerseys on. Unforrtunately the moment was not shared with the TV viewers. I don't believe we were shown the players in their BG warm up tee shirts either. smh

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now you can watch the BIG3, which is the inspiration for the 4-pt spot, on CBS.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/10/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It never takes long to be reminded that the actual basketball played in these games is completely unwatchable.

yep. I left after the first quarter. Good for them for having fun. But I needed to go take care of some other business.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/11/22 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how do we count Nneka Ogwumike’s dunk attempt? Does it count as a dunk because the ball went through the hoop? Or is it not a dunk because it did not go directly through the hoop in the dunking motion?

I did enjoy Syl getting hers. And her monster block.

I think the problem is that players and fans both agree All-Star games should be fun. It’s just that players and fans have different definitions of what “fun” is. Me, I want to see the best players in the world do what they’re best at- and in some cases that’s defense, or physical post play. But it looks like the players’ definition of fun is getting to do things they can’t do in serious games, hence the lack of defense and the focus on quick long jumpers.

PostPosted: 07/11/22 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So how do we count Nneka Ogwumike’s dunk attempt? Does it count as a dunk because the ball went through the hoop? Or is it not a dunk because it did not go directly through the hoop in the dunking motion?

I think the problem is that players and fans both agree All-Star games should be fun. It’s just that players and fans have different definitions of what “fun” is. Me, I want to see the best players in the world do what they’re best at- and in some cases that’s defense, or physical post play. But it looks like the players’ definition of fun is getting to do things they can’t do in serious games, hence the lack of defense and the focus on quick long jumpers.

How much of that is determined by not wanting to get hurt in a meaningless activity? With really nothing on the line, who wants to step in to take a charge?

The dunk attempt? Missed the dunk, made the basket.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/11/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
How much of that is determined by not wanting to get hurt in a meaningless activity?

Question ... if the same amount of money (or more) was on the line during the All-Star Game as is on the line during the Commissioner's Cup Game, would we get a better, more competitive All-Star Game?

My knee-jerk reaction when the CC idea was floated a few years ago was to spend that money on All-Star, but there are at least two challenges with that—In the All-Star Game the basketball will naturally be sloppier with players having zero practice time, so the chance of injury is likely greater; The players in the All-Star Game are generally the group for whom the extra money means the least.

In The CC, the risk of injury is no greater than a normal game.

I'm afraid a "competitive" All-Star Game may be something that is impossible to achieve. Football's is similarly, if not more, uncompetitive. Baseball is the only one that comes close, and it used to be ultra-competitive because the different league's actually meant something. That has been watered down with interleague play and free agency.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/11/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m old enough to remember when there was some physicality to All-Star, although that may be a reflection of how WBB has changed in general (and possibly also a response to Leslie’s ACL injury in that game).

PostPosted: 07/11/22 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I’m old enough to remember when there was some physicality to All-Star, although that may be a reflection of how WBB has changed in general (and possibly also a response to Leslie’s ACL injury in that game).

I remember watching that game. That injury is probably the main reason players now don't push themselves too hard in the All Star game.

PostPosted: 07/11/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

All-star games also tend to really not highlight the good things about women's basketball. Personally I find the men's ones unwatchable as well, but at least you'll still get people jumping out of the gym or showing off ridiculous dunks they wouldn't normally try in a game. A lot of people find that stuff very entertaining. In the women's game we get an occasional dunk - and no, pushing the ball over the rim before tugging on the net to make it rattle is not a dunk - and an endless parade of absurdly open layups and outside bricks. Yay?

Especially in Worlds/Olympic years I always preferred my idea of inviting three other major nations and having a quick four-team tournament. The US and other countries get a training camp and competitive warmup games, and we get proper basketball with a lot of the same players who'd be in the all-star game anyway.

PostPosted: 07/12/22 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

If it had happened in a dunk contest, it would have counted as a dunk. Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: