RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Big 12 Restocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPD

PostPosted: 06/11/22 12:15 pm    ::: The Big 12 Restocks Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34069597/cincinnati-houston-ucf-reach-exit-deal-american-join-big-12-2023

"Cincinnati, Houston and UCF will officially join the Big 12 on July 1, 2023, after reaching an exit agreement with the American Athletic Conference, the league and schools announced Friday.

After Oklahoma and Texas announced planned moves to the SEC last year, the Big 12 added Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and BYU to its conference. The initial goal was to get the three schools from the American into the Big 12 in time for the 2023-24 season. BYU is currently an independent and will join the conference next year as well."

Howee

PostPosted: 06/22/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hope that all this *finagling* will somehow help bring the Big 12 back to a RELEVANT Power 5 conference. But that's a LOTTA hope.

PostPosted: 06/23/22 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
My hope that all this *finagling* will somehow help bring the Big 12 back to a RELEVANT Power 5 conference. But that's a LOTTA hope.

Based of rankings, post-season results, and conference rankings, can you make a case that the ACC and PAC are more relevant than the "irrelevant" Big 12?

OU women just completed the most dominant season in college softball history, as the Big 12 held almost half of the CSWS slots.

OU men could win another title for the conference in baseball

The Big 12 has won the past 2 mens basketball championships, and a strong contender to 3-peat.

The Big 12 is more nationally relevant in football than the PAC and ACC.

The Big 12 has more or the same amount of national titles in womens basketball since its founding as the ACC, Big 10, or PAC. While it has had some down years(which all of the aforementioned conferences have had), coaching changes are bringing new life into the conference, and we should have 4 legitimate title contenders next season.

The Big 12 is competitive in multiple other sports(most notably golf and tennis)

Is the Big 12 unstable? Undoubtedly. Do they have the financial backing of other conferences? Not really. But to say they are irrelevant is complete and utter ignorance and just personal bias against the conference.

PostPosted: 06/23/22 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, of course. The Big 12 is more than wbb. But I was only expressing my opinion re: wbb (this being Rebs 'n all)

PostPosted: 06/23/22 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Well, of course. The Big 12 is more than wbb. But I was only expressing my opinion re: wbb (this being Rebs 'n all)

WBB may be one of the biggest challenges for the new B12. One of OU and UT has generally been pretty good for most of the league's existence. Now we're losing both of them. None of the new teams have been particularly good in wbb. If BU remains good, then the top is solid. It's the middle that needs work. Could use improvement from TTech and maybe a breakthrough coach in Houston or Cincy.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 06/23/22 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I get message boards are about expressing opinions, but they're also about debate over those positions. I get tired of seeing the same generic opinion that the Big 12 inherently doesn't matter in any sport outside of mens basketball. Since the inception of the Big 12, they have, in womens basketball alone:

4 national championships (the same as the PAC, B1G, and ACC combined during the same time)

Has produced 2 teams to win national championships(2 less than the B1G, PAC, and ACC combined during the same time)

Sent 50% of the conference to March Madness in 2021, 60% of the conference this past season, and in even better position for next year.

They were average to great in strength for their first 20 years, downgraded in quality for about 5 years, and have started bouncing back. But even in their downgraded state, they still produced a national champion. Next year OU, ISU, Baylor, and Texas are all likely Final Four contenders, and they could squeeze 7 teams into the field. WVU added a proven winner to replace Carey, OSU gambled, but Hoyt has already ratcheted up recruiting and brought more energy to the program. TCU will be replacing Pebley following next season unless she gets a miracle handed to her. Gerlich continues to recruit well, but needs to figure out how to put the pieces together(which should be easier with Gray out of the picture).

We can debate the merit of the new schools, but UCF made a great hire, and Houston and Cincy are likely resetting at some point in the near future. I don't think anyone is going to defend what BYU just did after what was arguably their best year lol.

PostPosted: 06/24/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Howee wrote:

I get message boards are about expressing opinions, but they're also about debate over those positions. I get tired of seeing the same generic opinion that the Big 12 inherently doesn't matter in any sport outside of mens basketball. Since the inception of the Big 12, they have, in womens basketball alone:

4 national championships (the same as the PAC, B1G, and ACC combined during the same time)

Has produced 2 teams to win national championships(2 less than the B1G, PAC, and ACC combined during the same time)

Sent 50% of the conference to March Madness in 2021, 60% of the conference this past season, and in even better position for next year.

They were average to great in strength for their first 20 years, downgraded in quality for about 5 years, and have started bouncing back. But even in their downgraded state, they still produced a national champion. Next year OU, ISU, Baylor, and Texas are all likely Final Four contenders, and they could squeeze 7 teams into the field. WVU added a proven winner to replace Carey, OSU gambled, but Hoyt has already ratcheted up recruiting and brought more energy to the program. TCU will be replacing Pebley following next season unless she gets a miracle handed to her. Gerlich continues to recruit well, but needs to figure out how to put the pieces together(which should be easier with Gray out of the picture).

We can debate the merit of the new schools, but UCF made a great hire, and Houston and Cincy are likely resetting at some point in the near future. I don't think anyone is going to defend what BYU just did after what was arguably their best year lol.

I don't disagree with any of this. I will say that Baylor was SO dominant for SO long that when Oklahoma started sliding and Texas was stagnant, it really made the rest of the conference look weaker by comparison. But, no, you guys do good things down there and the coaching shift is very promising.

PostPosted: 06/24/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Howee wrote:

I don't disagree with any of this. I will say that Baylor was SO dominant for SO long that when Oklahoma started sliding and Texas was stagnant, it really made the rest of the conference look weaker by comparison. But, no, you guys do good things down there and the coaching shift is very promising.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: