RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs/Redshirts 2021-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/22/22 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are apparently talking about two different things here. I'm talking about Brenda's comment about Mimi "not having the grades" to get into grad school at Maryland. People can get into grad school with less than a 3.0 depending on the program. You seem to be talking about the Academic Honor Roll which is a different animal entirely. I stand by what I said, and in any case, Brenda had no business running her mouth and that was sour grapes as far as I can tell. So Wes Moore got a good one and she's out one. Too bad, so sad.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, God bless 'em, IF they have a case. Brenda definitely didn't need to 'go there', in explaining things. But I still don't understand how what she said is any different from announcing a player has made the Honor Roll (and 7 others DIDN'T), or someone is benched for unsatisfactory grades, or another kid didn't qualify academically for Stanford, Duke, etc. Might it not make MORE sense for a kid like Mimi to set the record straight, and explain why she DID choose to transfer?

But this is assuming Brenda is telling the truth. If it was a lie - if Mimi actually chose a different Grad program independently of her academic performance at Maryland - it could definitely apply as slander and/or defamation. Even if Brenda knew she WOULDN'T have gotten in at MD based on her grades, it's still considered speculation. Unless she actually applied and was rejected there is base for legal action here (I think).

If it's already public knowledge that she has a gpa less than 3.0 and she didn't give out an exact number is there still a base for legal action?

It isn't necessarily. I think Brenda was just talking out her *** the way she sometimes does because she was mad Mimi was leaving. There are tons of other reasons a person may not get into a particular grad program besides grades (How do I know this? I was raised "under the desk" in academia.) and grades are only part of it. Some programs are more selective than others and have a limited number of spots available. Bottom line is that Brenda is a popoff and only hard-core Terp fans will disagree.

This is from an article the Big Ten publish, so it's pretty public. Sure there are other reasons that could play into a role in to there a person gets into a school or not, but I'm not questioning whether or not there could be other reason, I specifically asked about if she is speaking about something that is general public knowledge is there still grounds for legal action.

Quote:
To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team (as verified by being on the official squad list), have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.

https://bigten.org/news/2022/3/23/general-big-ten-announces-winter-academic-all-big-ten-honorees.aspx

I don't know if that story qualifies as general public knowledge. Either way, Brenda has no business bringing up an individual's GPA. Maybe Maryland would be better off evaluating the fact that 100 B10 WBB players made the list but there was only one from Maryland (a grad student transfer from Harvard). Mimi seems to have had lots of company academically.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/23/22 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sara Rodrigues and Ruthie Udoumoh, formerly of OK State both headed to Oral Roberts.

Sidenote: Can we please move on from talking about Brenda in this thread? She ain't an injury or transfer, and we've already listed Mimi's new destination.

PostPosted: 05/23/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Sara Rodrigues and Ruthie Udoumoh, formerly of OK State both headed to Oral Roberts.

Interesting. These kids are just taking the bus 'cross town. Very Happy

I just counted....Raoul sez OK St. has had 16 transfers OUT, and only 1 in. Shocked

PostPosted: 05/23/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

I just counted....Raoul sez OK St. has had 16 transfers OUT, and only 1 in. Shocked

I’m looking at Raouls own account and it looks like 10 have transferred out and 7 in. Coaching change.

https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-d-i-2021-22/16/

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/23/22 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

OK State had 16 on the roster last year. 11 are gone, and there current roster for next year is at 14.

Guards: Naomi Alnatas, Terryn Milton, Lexi Keys, Anna Asi, Landry Williams, Tali Notoa, Macie James

Forwards and Posts: Lior Garzon, Makyra Tramble, Taylen Collins, Claire Chastain, Kassidy DeLapp, Trinitee Jackson, and Praise Egharevba

But Udoumoh played high school in TUlsa, if im not mistaken, and Rodrigues will fit in nicely to the Summit League as a small ball 5. Oral Roberts makes a lot of sense for both frm a basketball perspective

PostPosted: 05/24/22 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

I’m looking at Raouls own account and it looks like 10 have transferred out and 7 in. Coaching change.
https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-d-i-2021-22/16/

Well, DUH on me.... Embarassed I was reading that very page, but apparently need new glasses and/or a brain. For some reason, I was counting everyone after Alnatas as leaving. Razz

PostPosted: 05/27/22 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saniya Rivers to NC State
Lasha Petree to Purdue

PostPosted: 06/07/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Raoul's Twitter, Treasure Hunt to AZ State.

greatgator

PostPosted: 06/10/22 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latasha Lattimore to University of Miami
https://miamihurricanes.com/roster/latasha-lattimore/

okstateguy

PostPosted: 06/17/22 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Micah Dennis to ECU via OK State

PostPosted: 06/23/22 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Mullins (Auburn) transfers to McNeese:

https://mcneesesports.com/news/2022/6/23/womens-basketball-wbb-kennedy-announces-addition-of-auburn-transfer-paris-mullins.aspx?fbclid=IwAR39tHakvrLFuDDYXgtxkwpAa7Pxxuh5AuIjQa9PGqMZVRaBJXRJJXzYBfI

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aliyah Matharu, who was at Mississippi State when Vic Schaefer was there, and then transferred to Texas before last season after Schaefer took over that program, has now entered the transfer portal again per @InsideTexas. She was the Horns' leading scorer last season.....

PG4ever

PostPosted: 07/08/22 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Aliyah Matharu, who was at Mississippi State when Vic Schaefer was there, and then transferred to Texas before last season after Schaefer took over that program, has now entered the transfer portal again per @InsideTexas. She was the Horns' leading scorer last season.....

I don't follow Texas WBB a ton so I didn't see this coming but sounds like Texas fans did.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/08/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU acquires two transfers from the Big 12, both foreign players: F'11 G Kobe King-Hawea, who comes to the Dukes from Texas via New Zealand and Australia, and TCU grad transfer G Caroline Germond, who hails originally from Angers, France. Both should have two years of eligibility left, though JMU is hoping to get a third for King-Hawea as she played very little at Texas due to injury.
https://www.dnronline.com/sports/college...3e3f2.html

These two, along with MTSU ttransfer Ksenia Kozlova from Russia and incoming freshman Cheyenne Rowe who is from Canada, will give JMU a more international flavor than it has previously had.

PostPosted: 07/08/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SPD wrote:
LitePal wrote:
USC commit Aaliyah Gayles was a gunshot victim at a Vegas house party.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada-preps/schools/spring-valley/spring-valley-high-basketball-star-aaliyah-gayles-shot-at-party-2562645/

"...Aaliyah Gayles is in “good spirits” following three surgeries to treat gunshot wounds..."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada-preps/schools/spring-valley/gayles-in-good-spirits-after-surgeries-for-gunshot-wounds-coach-says-2563577/

Quote:
Gayles, 18, probably will spend two months in a wheelchair before beginning rehabilitation, Hemberger said. She was shot 10 times, including eight in the legs and ankles, according to people familiar with the situation.

Gayles will need to learn how to walk again...

Some followup...
Gayles has gotten out of her wheelchair, taken a few steps with a walker, and shot a basket.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/07/06/usc-basketball-recruit-aaliyah-gayles-first-basket-since-house-party-shooting-las-vegas-ncaa/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/11/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shaylee Gonzeles (BYU), Last seasons WCC player of the year, will join Schaefer at Texas. She’s a redshirt junior so I don’t believe she will be eligible to play for the Longhorns unless she gets a Red shirt exemption. BYU had a season ending coaching change prior to Gonzalez leaving.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/11/22 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Shaylee Gonzeles (BYU), Last seasons WCC player of the year, will join Schaefer at Texas. She’s a redshirt junior so I don’t believe she will be eligible to play for the Longhorns unless she gets a Red shirt exemption. BYU had a season ending coaching change prior to Gonzalez leaving.

What do you mean by this? She will have to get a waiver because she entered the transfer portal after the cut-off date. Her redshirt year was an injury so I'm not sure how that would effect her transfer eligibility otherwise.

PostPosted: 07/11/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

What do you mean by this? She will have to get a waiver because she entered the transfer portal after the cut-off date. Her redshirt year was an injury so I'm not sure how that would effect her transfer eligibility otherwise.

Cut off date has exception for coaching change I think? BYU coach retired.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 07/12/22 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Cut off date has exception for coaching change I think? BYU coach retired.

Since they hired the new coach after May 1, I believe she had until June 30 to enter the portal and still get immediate eligibility(I believe I read that on something when she announced she entered the portal, but too lazy to go find it).

PostPosted: 07/17/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raoul’s blog says “coaching change could be basis for immediate eligibility waiver” so I was thinking she (and the few other players in her situation) had some hoops to jump through. Glad they don’t.

PostPosted: 08/03/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige Bueckers out for 2022-2023 season with torn ACL
https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2022/8/3/womens-basketball-paige-bueckers-suffers-torn-acl-will-miss-2022-23-season.aspx

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/03/22 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Paige Bueckers out for 2022-2023 season with torn ACL
https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2022/8/3/womens-basketball-paige-bueckers-suffers-torn-acl-will-miss-2022-23-season.aspx

How long before it takes pilight to come on here and talk about her sponsors being upset?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/03/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What kind of "pick-up" games do college players play? I guess they are student-athletes, but also are people, and can do what they please. Is it with her fellow collegiate players, or is it with just anyone who shows up?

That would be a bit scary, as just typical students can be undisciplined and rough. Are they just female players, or guys too?

If I was a star college player, who is destined to be a star in the professional leagues, I would make sure to only play in more organized settings, but I know recently even Lebron James and other NBA star players play in pick-up games too, so I guess you roll the dice and you take your chances.

Still a horrible shame after last season being disrupted due to injury, too. Prayers for a quick and full recovery....

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/03/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
What kind of "pick-up" games do college players play? I guess they are student-athletes, but also are people, and can do what they please. Is it with her fellow collegiate players, or is it with just anyone who shows up?

That would be a bit scary, as just typical students can be undisciplined and rough. Are they just female players, or guys too?

If I was a star college player, who is destined to be a star in the professional leagues, I would make sure to only play in more organized settings, but I know recently even Lebron James and other NBA star players play in pick-up games too, so I guess you roll the dice and you take your chances.

Still a horrible shame after last season being disrupted due to injury, too. Prayers for a quick and full recovery....

I don’t know if this is similar for all wbb teams, but the UConn women play pickup with the football team.

It’s a non official team activity.

This is horrible news for Paige and for UConn. I hope this is the last of her major injuries.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: