RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 05/09/22 12:06 pm    ::: WNBA in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition Reply Reply with quote

Check 'em out!

https://www.facebook.com/nyliberty/posts/10158606512677918

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/09/22 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I normally don't purchase Sports Illustrated but I will have to make an exception this time.

PostPosted: 05/09/22 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewie is giving me Sigourney Weaver vibes. I don't love the group shot but the individual shots are stunning.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/09/22 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the group shot, but had no idea Didi was so stunning!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/09/22 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am convinced that Didi Richards is going to be a TV star in the near future, quite possibly a talk show host. She is quite charismatic and has absolute ease talking to anyone with a camera. As a Liberty fan, I'd love to see Didi become a basketball star rather than a valuable bench player... but I'm guessing her stardom will come off the court.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://swimsuit.si.com/models/athlete

PostPosted: 05/16/22 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka has a beautiful body!
And Birdie's abs are something.
The tops with one wide strap over the shoulder don't do anybody any favors.

It's kind of interesting that they cover so many different body types, from the string bean Stewie to the borderline chunky Cooper.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/22 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/opinions/women-basketball-wnba-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-cretaz/index.html

CNN had some choice words for the WNBA players in this shoot
Quote:

The WNBA promoted the shoot last week in a tweet which read “we can do both [fire emoji].”

What was meant by “both” wasn’t clear, but it’s not hard to conclude that they meant that players can be both “athletic” and “feminine” – two things that often are wrongly assumed to be at odds.

The photo seems jarring: All five players in the picture have been glammed up in a way that seems inconsistent with their usual off-the-court self-presentation. That’s particularly true for the out queer players in the group, Bird (typically femme-leaning, but unfussy) and Stewart (who favors more of a soft butch aesthetic).

PostPosted: 05/19/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frankie de la Cretaz is good at regurgitating old feminist dogma.

However...

Quote:
It marks the first time athletes from the professional women’s basketball league appear in SI’s swimsuit issue

...is inaccurate. In fact, much of the same hand wringing was written in the wake of Skylar Diggins (2014) and Lauren Jackson (2005) doing full pictorials and even when Nikki McCray and Sheryl Swoopes did single pics.

PostPosted: 05/19/22 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Frankie de la Cretaz is good at regurgitating old feminist dogma.

What a terrible irony to see the word "feminist" used so derisively on a women's basketball message board.

PostPosted: 05/19/22 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/opinions/women-basketball-wnba-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-cretaz/index.html

CNN had some choice words for the WNBA players in this shoot
Quote:

The WNBA promoted the shoot last week in a tweet which read “we can do both [fire emoji].”

What was meant by “both” wasn’t clear, but it’s not hard to conclude that they meant that players can be both “athletic” and “feminine” – two things that often are wrongly assumed to be at odds.

The photo seems jarring: All five players in the picture have been glammed up in a way that seems inconsistent with their usual off-the-court self-presentation. That’s particularly true for the out queer players in the group, Bird (typically femme-leaning, but unfussy) and Stewart (who favors more of a soft butch aesthetic).

The column reads as clunky and awkward in places to me, but I find myself feeling like this part was fair (or fair-ish), at least... I thought that the preferred terms these days was 'stud,' though, or am I behind on that, too? Is it just a hip-hop/Twitter thing, maybe?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/20/22 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stewie wasn't comfortable being glammed up then I don't think she would have done it. None of these women will do something they don't wanna do.

kb9kre

PostPosted: 05/20/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team is amazingly photogenic. Didi us a doll!

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/21/22 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
The column reads as clunky and awkward in places to me, but I find myself feeling like this part was fair (or fair-ish), at least... I thought that the preferred terms these days was 'stud,' though, or am I behind on that, too? Is it just a hip-hop/Twitter thing, maybe?

I agree about the clunky language - it pigeonholes folks in ways that may or may not fit that person's self-identification. Terminology is both a general descriptor for those outside a culture, while individuals within it will use or not use certain language to describe themselves.

My experience dates back to the late 1970s. One young lady at a conference session about terminology said she couldn't call herself a lesbian because when her mother found out, she chased her out of the house throwing shoes at her and calling her that, so whenever she heard the word, her instinct was to duck. I personally never liked "gay" for myself; I am a lesbian, and in certain company, I am a dyke. There was a geographic divide in Chicago - most South Side women (mostly black) called themselves gay, while most North Siders (largely white, but there were several other "out" black dykes) called ourselves dykes or lesbians. One back woman who lived in between the Sides was torn what to call herself since she spent time in both areas! Laughing

I always labeled myself as a soft butch. Some folks have been studs for years. Femmes or lipstick lesbians are often ones who are more likely to pass for straight, though that is not necessarily their intention. An affectionate term, "baby dyke", referred to a young'un just coming out. I believe lesbians largely started the trend of not feeling bound to women's gender norms for dressing. Outside of some folks doing it to make it easier to be identified, a lot of women bought men's clothes because they were comfortable and lasted longer. Short hair and sensible shoes were practical and comfortable. These days, it's a lot harder to identify folks, but you could never go by "just looks" anyway. That's when "gaydar" comes in handy! Laughing I spotted some celebrities years ago, while others came as a surprise.

Way more of a sociological lesson that most here probably want to read!
tl:dr - it's complicated and very personal. It's akin to the current practice of confirming what pronouns people want to use. I'm a womanist, not a feminist. I'm black - don't call me an African American - and I never refer to myself as the n word. What makes us individuals is that we have different preferences that are not monolithic to one aspect of our lives. It's easier to lump folks into pre-determined buckets that don't allow for the full range of their being to be expressed. As the article says,
Quote:
players can be both “athletic” and “feminine” – two things that often are wrongly assumed to be at odds.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: