RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Diamond DeShields

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 05/07/22 6:51 am    ::: Diamond DeShields Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/wbbworldwide/status/1522791738729013249?s=21&t=q75pEMhoY-PuRty4LtjogA

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/07/22 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So glad that she's better. I think the vast majority of us had no idea. I'm looking forward to watching this today.

SCook

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
So glad that she's better. I think the vast majority of us had no idea. I'm looking forward to watching this today.

Same. I was so shocked when I saw the preview. Also looking forward to watching today.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There had to be something going on...wow! I've got it set to record.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond's a warrior. She played in the bubble with no feeling in her legs or sure balance. I am hoping that she''s able to shine bright in Phoenix!

Athletes are human just like us.

Here's a link to the article by Holly Rowe

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33862277/diamond-deshields-wnba-comeback-knew-about

Last edited by SCook on 05/07/22 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I can say is, "Wow"! Definitely powerful and painful to watch. So happy to see her rise from this!

scullyfu

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What strength she has to not give up. Never had heard her story before. #RESPECT. btw, if you’re recording it, the segment starts at about 33 minutes.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew something was wrong with Diamond. Her regression made no sense...Falling on the court....shooting airballs on layups...looking off balance on defense.....I just feel bad that some people on this board were bashing and making false accusations about her:

* Diamond quit on the team when she left the bubble and wasn't really hurt.

* Diamond was jealous of Copper, that's why she left the bubble.

* Diamond isn't a team player.

* Etc, etc...

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/07/22 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It goes to show that often as fans we may not know the full scope of what someone is going through. That is just unreal.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! I was confused by her regression and thought it was linked to her vision because her athleticism seemed like it was still there.

As Diamond said, a knee is never just a knee...and we don't know "sh$t!" There is so much that goes into what they do and don't tell us and what the athlete decides to share themselves. I can only imagine how scary all of this was and to think, had she not gotten bumped on that play overseas, the tumor may have gotten much worse before she was fully aware.

Truly, it is common place for people to "color in the lines" and conjure up their own story about what is going on in a situation based on the limited information they know and we never know everything. Sometimes I wish more information would be shared so that the criticism is "fair" and doesn't get out of hand. At the same time, folks are entitled to their privacy. I'm glad that she shared her story/

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/07/22 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I knew something was wrong with Diamond. Her regression made no sense...Falling on the court....shooting airballs on layups...looking off balance on defense.....I just feel bad that some people on this board were bashing and making false accusations about her:

* Diamond quit on the team when she left the bubble and wasn't really hurt.

* Diamond was jealous of Copper, that's why she left the bubble.

* Diamond isn't a team player.

* Etc, etc...

X____

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/08/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...you just never know!

I'm so proud of her! I remember the accusations of her being a "head case" and other statements prior to the draft that put me on alert. But I didn't see those things come to fruition, even though she had me worried a few times that some of it was about to play out.

We all go through stuff - it's just that most of us don't have it play out publicly.

Props once again to Ann Crosby, Vice President of Basketball Operations, Strength and Conditioning, who created the regimen for Parker last year that lessened the effects of travel and closely scheduled games. And the other trainer whose name I didn't catch.

And major props to everyone who honored Diamond's desire to not make her situation public knowledge, which had to be hard. She, and they, had to see all the negative posts casting aspersions on her character and had to keep mum.

Knowing all this makes me that much sadder that she's no longer with the Sky. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 05/09/22 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Wow...you just never know!

I'm so proud of her! I remember the accusations of her being a "head case" and other statements prior to the draft that put me on alert. But I didn't see those things come to fruition, even though she had me worried a few times that some of it was about to play out.

We all go through stuff - it's just that most of us don't have it play out publicly.

Props once again to Ann Crosby, Vice President of Basketball Operations, Strength and Conditioning, who created the regimen for Parker last year that lessened the effects of travel and closely scheduled games. And the other trainer whose name I didn't catch.

And major props to everyone who honored Diamond's desire to not make her situation public knowledge, which had to be hard. She, and they, had to see all the negative posts casting aspersions on her character and had to keep mum.

Knowing all this makes me that much sadder that she's no longer with the Sky. Crying or Very sad

TBH, when I read this story, I thought of all the fans who wanted the Sky to trade DD and how hard it must have been for her to leave the training staff and her doctors in Chicago.

mercfan

PostPosted: 05/11/22 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond looked really good in her Mercury debut. I wonder if Phoenix weather and the Suns/Mercury orgs track record with physical therapy has impacted her decision to come here.

Steve Nash, Chris Paul and plenty of others have rejuvenated their careers in Phoenix. Diana Taurasi has put on a million miles.

It may not be relevant but I hope Phoenix becomes a long term home for her.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/14/22 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article from insider includes comments from Bird:

https://www.insider.com/wnba-star-reveals-secret-spinal-tumor-paralysis-threat-2022-5

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: