RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA League Pass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/22 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It took a few emails, but I finally did receive a promo code that works. I also got a refund for my accidental auto-renewal. As far as navigation goes, it works okay for me, but I just got on yesterday morning. Maybe they fixed some glitches. I didn't notice the rows underneath at first. The recently completed games are on the second row. If you want to search by a particular team, you can click on their franchise logo in the row below that. This brings you to a page with all the games from that team.

PostPosted: 05/12/22 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New LP is a mixed bag for us. #1 pro is the higher resolution. Old LP would always look pixelated when expanded to full screen, it's much better now. Also good are the scores hidden by default (I watch a lot of games after they air and hated accidentally getting spoiled if the "hide scores" cookie cleared). I like the box score/roster popup.

Cons are no 10-sec skip forward/back buttons which were handy for skipping through ref reviews and such and no calendar view for finding older games. I never used the PIP but it's a bummer it's gone.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/22 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the positive side, at least for me, is that I don't get a lot of lost signal with the circle going around and around waiting to get the signal again. That happens to me on facebook and prime.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/12/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I want is to be able to find a schedule of which games will be live on LiveAccess.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/14/22 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/mls-signs-10-year-2-5-billion-plus-global-deal-with-apple.html

So MLS (which I've often found to be the most analogous league to the W) is selling their local and national rights exclusively to Apple for a very large sum. If I recall, MLS' ratings are not much better than the W. Could this be an attractive option for the W moving forward? I know there are. Lot of complaints about the diversified outlets for the W, but would you be receptive to purchasing a WNBA add on to a streaming service of it meant getting all national and local games with no black outs?

I'm a bit iffy as I feel like this could make it harder for causal fans to experience a young league and could stagnate growthe in favor of a cash infusion.

What do you guys think?

NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/14/22 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/mls-signs-10-year-2-5-billion-plus-global-deal-with-apple.html

So MLS (which I've often found to be the most analogous league to the W) is selling their local and national rights exclusively to Apple for a very large sum. If I recall, MLS' ratings are not much better than the W. Could this be an attractive option for the W moving forward? I know there are. Lot of complaints about the diversified outlets for the W, but would you be receptive to purchasing a WNBA add on to a streaming service of it meant getting all national and local games with no black outs?

I'm a bit iffy as I feel like this could make it harder for causal fans to experience a young league and could stagnate growthe in favor of a cash infusion.

What do you guys think?

League Pass is very affordable. I don't know if the Apple treatment would be, especially with the monopoly they'd have. I like the fact that YES Network, ESPN and League Pass have to compete with each other for my patronage.

For me personally, the blackouts don't mean much because I almost always watch on delay. And the League Pass commercial edits after the fact are great!

I became a WNBA fan about 5 years ago, and it was only because I was bored and just happened to tune into a Liberty game that was on one of the local sports channels. And then I watched them again, and it just grew on me. If it were necessary for me to pay extra just so I could watch the W, I never would have. I'd think that having the playoffs on national TV is extremely useful in drawing in new fans.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be good for the WNBA, and I wonder if this will be a move that MLS regrets.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/14/22 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're still negotiating for games to be on national platforms like ESPN, they just wouldn't be exclusive to that network - you're genuinely going to be able to watch every game via the Apple platform. I think it's a really interesting step, that Engelbert and the WNBA league office need to be watching closely. MLS are getting a lot of money from Apple, but how much does it damage the interest from national broadcasters if you say "exclusivity is off the table"? I don't think there's any way the WNBA would want to take their product completely online - exposure and interest is still too closely tied to TV. So you have to be able to make television part of the package one way or another. But a deal like this might be the best of both worlds (especially if it comes with something in the region of $250m per year).

PostPosted: 06/14/22 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They're still negotiating for games to be on national platforms like ESPN, they just wouldn't be exclusive to that network - you're genuinely going to be able to watch every game via the Apple platform. I think it's a really interesting step, that Engelbert and the WNBA league office need to be watching closely. MLS are getting a lot of money from Apple, but how much does it damage the interest from national broadcasters if you say "exclusivity is off the table"? I don't think there's any way the WNBA would want to take their product completely online - exposure and interest is still too closely tied to TV. So you have to be able to make television part of the package one way or another. But a deal like this might be the best of both worlds (especially if it comes with something in the region of $250m per year).

I wonder if they could leverage this deal to get ESPN to fold LP into ESPN+ so that ESPN can essentially air every game. That way it's a hybrid TV and streaming partner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: