RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#10 wins on #2s court. Stop crying about Bridgeport.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
How many schools/conferences are willing to bid and put in the work to host regionals. Every regional has a host some it's 1 school, some it's 2, sometimes it's conferences. There are lot of intricacies that go into planning and organizing these regionals and for a lot of people it's not worth the work it takes to put in, the positives don't outweigh the negatives.

There are things the play a role into what places will host such as hotels for each team, personnel, etc. (I believe each host must be able to provide at least 5 adequate hotels as part of their bid), plus cost of rent, funding for personnel (Security, tickets, ushers, concessions, parking, etc.). The NCAA is also going to weigh in all of these cost and availability when determining which bids to accept.

Well, JMU has been in the WNIT several times and hosted. I realize it's not quite the same, but it does require all the things you mentioned, and they hosted several games prior to the semi-finals, so it's not that huge. Also a lot of the cost for NCAA regionals would, I think, be borne by municipalities rather than by the schools, as it makes money for them. Especially stuff like hotels for the fanbase. And for cities with decent facilities outside the school (thinking of an example like the Target Center in Minneapolis, or the Knoxville Coliseum), those places often have their own security, concessions, ushers, etc.

PostPosted: 04/04/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sioux Falls, South Dakota works very well for this. They have the Premier Center, where they hold the Summit League tournament, but they also have the smaller Pentagon which is a very nice environment as well. They have a huge Fanbase for women’s basketball, which is helped by the talent coming out of South and North Dakota area. They have plenty of hotels, a thriving downtown restaurant/bar scene, and it’s centrally located between the two coasts as well as just a few hours from both Minneapolis and Omaha.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/04/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
How many schools/conferences are willing to bid and put in the work to host regionals. Every regional has a host some it's 1 school, some it's 2, sometimes it's conferences. There are lot of intricacies that go into planning and organizing these regionals and for a lot of people it's not worth the work it takes to put in, the positives don't outweigh the negatives.

There are things the play a role into what places will host such as hotels for each team, personnel, etc. (I believe each host must be able to provide at least 5 adequate hotels as part of their bid), plus cost of rent, funding for personnel (Security, tickets, ushers, concessions, parking, etc.). The NCAA is also going to weigh in all of these cost and availability when determining which bids to accept.

Well, JMU has been in the WNIT several times and hosted. I realize it's not quite the same, but it does require all the things you mentioned, and they hosted several games prior to the semi-finals, so it's not that huge. Also a lot of the cost for NCAA regionals would, I think, be borne by municipalities rather than by the schools, as it makes money for them. Especially stuff like hotels for the fanbase. And for cities with decent facilities outside the school (thinking of an example like the Target Center in Minneapolis, or the Knoxville Coliseum), those places often have their own security, concessions, ushers, etc.

There's a reason James Madison hasn't put in a bid to host the NCAA Tournament, so it's not as easy as you make it sound.

I'm also sure for the WNIT they don't have to worry about rent, staffing, hosting WNIT personnel, 4 host team hotels (I don't even know if they would have to even find 1 hotel). And while it is true big arenas have their own staffing, all of that is taken into consideration when creating a bid. And if the arena in Bridgeport cost less to staff than the arena in New York City I'm sure that will play a role in who the NCAA decides to give the bid too. Plus how much money do the "host get" from the NCAA, is it worth it to host and not get any money or not get a significant portion of it.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/07/22 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading through this thread, I'm still laughing at a UConn fan even mentioning that next year South Carolina will play close to home. I mean, seriously? I mean, print out the last 20 Sweet Sixteen and Regional sites and count up how many teams have had multiple Sweet Sixteens and/or Regionals close to home. UConn will win this in a landslide over every other team in the league.

I know it sucks for you to not win a Championship for 5 straight years - it's the longest NC drought since the first one in 1995. I hope you will continue to enjoy women's basketball as the UConn run comes to an end. And I hope you will continue to travel to Sweet Sixteen, Regional and FF games played further away. I hope my team will eventually make it worth my while to travel for a big match up as I used to do.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Reading through this thread, I'm still laughing at a UConn fan even mentioning that next year South Carolina will play close to home. I mean, seriously? I mean, print out the last 20 Sweet Sixteen and Regional sites and count up how many teams have had multiple Sweet Sixteens and/or Regionals close to home. UConn will win this in a landslide over every other team in the league.

I know it sucks for you to not win a Championship for 5 straight years - it's the longest NC drought since the first one in 1995. I hope you will continue to enjoy women's basketball as the UConn run comes to an end. And I hope you will continue to travel to Sweet Sixteen, Regional and FF games played further away. I hope my team will eventually make it worth my while to travel for a big match up as I used to do.

Ouch. But being a Tennessee fan and a loyal part of the Big Orange Nation even though I now live in JMU country. I know how Tennessee fans are and how far they travel. They even live all over the country and show up when Tennessee plays in their area. I hope UConn fans will continue to do the same thing even if it's not to a Final Four or National Championship game. I was really impressed with the SD fans who traveled so far to see their girls play. My Big Orange hat is off to them! Good job, Yotes Nation!

Someone observed, possibly in another thread, that they thought Geno sounded tired and old. I've been thinking that all year and wondering if he might, as was suggested, retire when Paige graduates. All good things come to an end sometime. Tara, too, will retire one day, though she hasn't shown any signs of being particularly old yet. Even though she and Geno are close in age, she doesn't look tired at all. But the guard will change. The other "old guy" in the FF was Wes Moore at 64. But Jeff Walz is 51 as is Dawn Staley.

As for the "new guard", just the ones I'm familiar with, some of them are stunningly young....to me anyway. Younger than my own kids, in a couple of cases.They are going to be around for a good little while. Dawn Plitzuweit is 50, and there's a whole bevy of coaches in their early 40s--Kellie Harper, Kara Lawson, and Kyra Elzy, whose careers overlapped at Tennessee, for instance. Coach Mox, who just took over at UVA, is all of 39! And who was it said that McGuff should retire? I think they meant resign--he's all of 52. It just seems like he's been at OSU forever!

PostPosted: 04/19/22 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

1- South Carolina will have the same "advantage" you decry, loudly, when it's UConn's. You, and the rest of the hater horde, won't say a word next year. It's either unfair, or it isn't. Is it?

2- While I would prefer UConn to win the NC every year, it hasn't been an expectation of mine since 2016. I have a pretty good grasp each year on how far the team may get, so the disappointment likely isn't as great as you hope.

3- Of course UConn's incredible run will end- it may be winding down now, despite making all 5 FFs since their last NC.

4-Speaking of NCs. I have 11 in my pocket. Not too shabby. Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/22 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are y'all still beating this horse? It is not gonna get up and run any more this year.

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Ummm, my guess is YOU have nothing in your pocket other than some old ticket stubs. A team with which you associate yourself via fantasy has 11 NCs in THEIR pockets. You had nothing to do with that but to cheer them on. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Are y'all still beating this horse? It is not gonna get up and run any more this year.

Says one of the late contributors to the thread. smh.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, Howee? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/19/22 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

1- South Carolina will have the same "advantage" you decry, loudly, when it's UConn's. You, and the rest of the hater horde, won't say a word next year. It's either unfair, or it isn't. Is it?

2- While I would prefer UConn to win the NC every year, it hasn't been an expectation of mine since 2016. I have a pretty good grasp each year on how far the team may get, so the disappointment likely isn't as great as you hope.

3- Of course UConn's incredible run will end- it may be winding down now, despite making all 5 FFs since their last NC.

Let me know when S.Carolina has the advantage for YEAR after YEAR after YEAR after YEAR. I will care if that happens. One year????? Seriously???? I care about ONE year of advantage?? LOLOLOL

The question isn't about how many 'ships in your pocket. It's about how grumpy you'll be when they stop coming. Judging from this thread: pretty grumpy!!

LOL again at S.Carolina getting an advantage for ONE year and thinking that anyone should care about ONE year of advantage. You've been travelling decades going downwind. Turning around and facing the wind ain't fun. Just recognize it's your turn to go against the same wind every other program has been fighting against for decades. Y'all weren't exactly nice to Tennessee fans when they stopped winning 'ships...

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/22 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Let me know when S.Carolina has the advantage for YEAR after YEAR after YEAR after YEAR. I will care if that happens. One year????? Seriously???? I care about ONE year of advantage?? LOLOLOL

The question isn't about how many 'ships in your pocket. It's about how grumpy you'll be when they stop coming. Judging from this thread: pretty grumpy!!

LOL again at S.Carolina getting an advantage for ONE year and thinking that anyone should care about ONE year of advantage. You've been travelling decades going downwind. Turning around and facing the wind ain't fun. Just recognize it's your turn to go against the same wind every other program has been fighting against for decades. Y'all weren't exactly nice to Tennessee fans when they stopped winning 'ships...

As my grandma used to say, hm will be grinning on the other side of their face then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: