RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/02/22 8:14 pm    ::: Re: ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/espns-unprecedented-megacast-presentation-of-2022-ncaa-womens-final-four-tips-off-friday/

Quote:
MegaCast from Minneapolis
ESPN’s expansive production surrounding the Women’s Basketball Championship is highlighted by a MegaCast presentation across ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN+ for both the semifinals and championship game.

The Bird & Taurasi Show Presented by AT&T 5G (BTS) features women’s basketball legends Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi providing their unique perspective and friendly banter live from the Target Center, with semifinal coverage on ESPNU and ESPN+, and championship action on ESPN2 and ESPN+. The duo will have their own set on the concourse level of the arena, joined by various special guests from the worlds of sports, pop culture and more.

Details on BTS Presented by AT&T 5G guests for the semifinals and championship game will be announced in the coming days.

Second Spectrum Player Tracking will be available as a MegaCast feed, as ESPN will be able to select from a suite of data-driven visualizations, including split-second shot probabilities and distances to 3-point special effects, captured through optical tracking technology that identifies and delivers the precise coordinates of every player and the ball, 25 times a second. The option – which has been utilized on select ESPN NBA telecasts – will be carried on ESPN+ for the semifinals and ESPNU and ESPN+ for the championship game. The main ESPN telecast and various studio programming will also have access to Genius Sports’ Second Spectrum technology through its unique Insight tool.

Additional MegaCast feeds include:

Beyond the Rim (ESPN+): Provides an aerial camera view with main telecast commentary and replays, with an enhanced statistical feed
On the Rail (ESPN+): Tracks game action one full length of the floor from end to end. The stream will feature natural sound and replays

A better idea would be having one alum from each school represented

Bird or Taurasi (Uconn)
A'ja (South Carolina)
Angel (Louisville)
Nneka or Chiney (Stanford)

But..but...then UConn would no longer be the center of the women's basketball world...and EVERYONE knows that people will only watch if the entire focus is on UConn...

I think that has more to do with Sue and D's personalities, popularity, and chemistry...more than the UCONN thing.

Seriously, take off the hate glasses and relax. Not everything is a pro-UCONN conspiracy. You're becoming a straight up insufferable hater with this.

I briefly switched over to their broadcast and found them to be insufferable. I like them both, by the way. Just found the entire concept to be way over the top.

Y'all UConn fans just gonna stay on that magic carpet ride until you get too near the sun and drop like Icarus. The rest of us will still be hearing watching women play basketball, soaring around and enjoying every updrift. You will all either be dead on the ground or stop watching because it's suddenly all boring.

I don't have any skin in this game so I'm watching as a fan of the game. The UConn network wants the attention to be on them as long as it lasts. Then they'll start covering all the teams playing.

As someone who has posted more than a dozen rants about UConn favoritism, you clearly do have skin in this game.

No need for the Jealousy. You’ve got Kara Lawson now, Duke will be good in no time.

Again, if you couldn’t enjoy the commentary, regardless of what team you favor..that’s a you thing.

They did this because DT and Sue have 20 years of chemistry and are highly charismatic. They are also, regardless of how non UConn fans feel, the most iconic wbb duo of all time. So yeah, they get media exposure. Deal with it.

I'd rather watch Dawn Staley peel a banana or clean her toilet. And when you talk about "all time," you're talking about "since women's basketball began in 1995."

I'd pay to see Cheryl Miller and Dawn Staley dishing it. I'll say it again - I do enjoy both Taurasi and Sue Bird. This broadcast of the two of them did not appeal at all. And I think most people watching believe women's basketball began in 1995 and have no idea who Cheryl Miller is but she seriously leaves both in the dust, as does Dawn Staley.

staley leaves taurasi in the dust - that's a new and interesting take.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/22 8:34 pm    ::: Re: ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/espns-unprecedented-megacast-presentation-of-2022-ncaa-womens-final-four-tips-off-friday/

Quote:
ESPN’s expansive production surrounding the Women’s Basketball Championship is highlighted by a MegaCast presentation across ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN+ for both the semifinals and championship game.

The Bird & Taurasi Show Presented by AT&T 5G (BTS) features women’s basketball legends Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi providing their unique perspective and friendly banter live from the Target Center, with semifinal coverage on ESPNU and ESPN+, and championship action on ESPN2 and ESPN+. The duo will have their own set on the concourse level of the arena, joined by various special guests from the worlds of sports, pop culture and more.

Details on BTS Presented by AT&T 5G guests for the semifinals and championship game will be announced in the coming days.

Second Spectrum Player Tracking will be available as a MegaCast feed, as ESPN will be able to select from a suite of data-driven visualizations, including split-second shot probabilities and distances to 3-point special effects, captured through optical tracking technology that identifies and delivers the precise coordinates of every player and the ball, 25 times a second. The option – which has been utilized on select ESPN NBA telecasts – will be carried on ESPN+ for the semifinals and ESPNU and ESPN+ for the championship game. The main ESPN telecast and various studio programming will also have access to Genius Sports’ Second Spectrum technology through its unique Insight tool.

Beyond the Rim (ESPN+): Provides an aerial camera view with main telecast commentary and replays, with an enhanced statistical feed
On the Rail (ESPN+): Tracks game action one full length of the floor from end to end. The stream will feature natural sound and replays

Bird or Taurasi (Uconn)
A'ja (South Carolina)
Angel (Louisville)

But..but...then UConn would no longer be the center of the women's basketball world...and EVERYONE knows that people will only watch if the entire focus is on UConn...

I think that has more to do with Sue and D's personalities, popularity, and chemistry...more than the UCONN thing.

Seriously, take off the hate glasses and relax. Not everything is a pro-UCONN conspiracy. You're becoming a straight up insufferable hater with this.

I briefly switched over to their broadcast and found them to be insufferable. I like them both, by the way. Just found the entire concept to be way over the top.

Y'all UConn fans just gonna stay on that magic carpet ride until you get too near the sun and drop like Icarus. The rest of us will still be hearing watching women play basketball, soaring around and enjoying every updrift. You will all either be dead on the ground or stop watching because it's suddenly all boring.

I don't have any skin in this game so I'm watching as a fan of the game. The UConn network wants the attention to be on them as long as it lasts. Then they'll start covering all the teams playing.

As someone who has posted more than a dozen rants about UConn favoritism, you clearly do have skin in this game.

No need for the Jealousy. You’ve got Kara Lawson now, Duke will be good in no time.

Again, if you couldn’t enjoy the commentary, regardless of what team you favor..that’s a you thing.

They did this because DT and Sue have 20 years of chemistry and are highly charismatic. They are also, regardless of how non UConn fans feel, the most iconic wbb duo of all time. So yeah, they get media exposure. Deal with it.

I'd rather watch Dawn Staley peel a banana or clean her toilet. And when you talk about "all time," you're talking about "since women's basketball began in 1995."

I'd pay to see Cheryl Miller and Dawn Staley dishing it. I'll say it again - I do enjoy both Taurasi and Sue Bird. This broadcast of the two of them did not appeal at all. And I think most people watching believe women's basketball began in 1995 and have no idea who Cheryl Miller is but she seriously leaves both in the dust, as does Dawn Staley.

Some people have a highly exaggerated view of Staley's playing career

PostPosted: 04/03/22 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank god for the alternate broadcast- it allowed me to avoid the worst p-b-p and color broadcast team in WCB history, Ruocco and Lobo, who are more irritating than even Ann and Mare, of PAC12 Network fame. (espn, PLEASE leave Lobo in the studio!).

Walton was a disappointment- dude would not STFU.

The Cocks comment was some of the best non-sports live TV I've seen in quite some time! LMAO.

RAF has apparently gone off the deep end. The replacement of JPM with Lawson, I thought, would get her out of her recent doldrums, but I guess her UCONN hate is true to her core.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this in the game thread, moving it here.

Sue & Dee were a little hesitant at first, but once they had a red cup or two of liquid courage, they loosened up & it was a fun time.

Best segment: Bill Walton outraged that Sue & Dee aren’t in the Hall of Fame. He announced he was going to talk to that committee & see why the hell they aren’t in it. They finally took pity on him & explained that it was bc they were still playing. He was unmoved & said well, he was gonna see if that rule could be changed. He was off the hook.

I enjoyed the shows. They had lots of guests. Kevin Garnett, A’ja Wilson, Angel McCoutrey, Adia Barnes, Stewie, Jen Azzi, & others. You can catch it on ESPNU as it runs concurrently with the game. I was surprised cuz I thought it’d be just a pre-game type of show.

If you missed either of the previous shows, you can catch them on ESPNU or the NCAAW app.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 1:22 pm    ::: Re: ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I have a very difficult time believing anyone watches a sportscaster, newscaster, commentator, pundit, actor, actress, model, or any other personality on TV based on what undergraduate school they attended 20 years ago.

Just look at the list here of all the UConn fans tuning into this broadcast BECAUSE they are UConn alums and you will see that's EXACTLY what and who they're going for here.

You have to look at said who that comment and take it with a grain salt. Universities tout their famous alumi all of the time. NBA players have apparel with former college or high school teams on them. Cameras often pan to celebrity alumi and celebrity bandwagon fans at games frequently. ESPN has been doing something similar with College Football for the past few seasons showing different simulcasts of the same game.

I watched like 5 or 7 minutes of the Bird and Taurasi during Louisville-South Carolina game and it was entertaining but I switched back to the main simulcast because they weren't talking about the game at all.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/22 1:45 pm    ::: Re: ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I have a very difficult time believing anyone watches a sportscaster, newscaster, commentator, pundit, actor, actress, model, or any other personality on TV based on what undergraduate school they attended 20 years ago.

Just look at the list here of all the UConn fans tuning into this broadcast BECAUSE they are UConn alums and you will see that's EXACTLY what and who they're going for here.

You have to look at said who that comment and take it with a grain salt. Universities tout their famous alumi all of the time. NBA players have apparel with former college or high school teams on them. Cameras often pan to celebrity alumi and celebrity bandwagon fans at games frequently. ESPN has been doing something similar with College Football for the past few seasons showing different simulcasts of the same game.

I watched like 5 or 7 minutes of the Bird and Taurasi during Louisville-South Carolina game and it was entertaining but I switched back to the main simulcast because they weren't talking about the game at all.

That was exactly why I did. Basketball isn't like football. I love the "Manningcast" on Monday Night Football and I think it works because football moves SO slowly and football announcers always talk about everything else anyway. But basketball is a very fast game and even watching it on TV it's helpful to have gamecasters who call the game and keep the chatter to kind of a minimum (which makes some announcers really annoying...no names here). This was just too distracting and not for me.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like watching the game. I can take 2 or 3 minutes of chit chat, but that's about all. I'd probably rather listen to them in the pregame than the boring shit the 'official' crew gives, but during the game, not so much.

Tally24

PostPosted: 04/03/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The use of the BTS hashtag is a little bit of poor planning, especially the night of the Grammys.

I thought y’all all mute the games because y’all can’t stand those on the call ever besides that one guy from the Lynx? 💀😅
scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/03/22 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the games on the regular channel. Then went back later & watched the #BTS, which is what I’m about to do again.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 7:23 pm    ::: Re: ESPN’s Unprecedented MegaCast Presentation Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Bird or Taurasi (Uconn)
A'ja (South Carolina)
Angel (Louisville)

Some people have a highly exaggerated view of Staley's playing career

Was anybody talking about Dawn Staley's PLAYING career? Certainly not me. She was always known as the most entertaining person on any team she's been on. That's what I am talking about. PS: I watched her play at UVA, in the Olympics and in the WNBA. And I watched Cheryl Miller play as much as possible. It's a darn shame her playing career was cut short by injuries and her coaching career cut short by being a little too entertaining.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/03/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Thank god for the alternate broadcast- it allowed me to avoid the worst p-b-p and color broadcast team in WCB history, Ruocco and Lobo, who are more irritating than even Ann and Mare, of PAC12 Network fame. (espn, PLEASE leave Lobo in the studio!).

The Cocks comment was some of the best non-sports live TV I've seen in quite some time! LMAO.

RAF has apparently gone off the deep end. The replacement of JPM with Lawson, I thought, would get her out of her recent doldrums, but I guess her UCONN hate is true to her core.

Except for a smattering of Seattle/Bird fans, I haven't seen much evidence of non UConn fans enjoying the BirdTaurasi show.

I do understand UConn fans wanting to soak up every minute of the dynasty as long as it lasts. But seriously thinking many others would enjoy it even a fraction as much is myopic, at best.

I am a fan of women's basketball. Highlights have been watching my team take down then dynasty Tennessee and then beating current dynasty UConn. It's not hate, it's wanting all the teams and players represented, not just the ones in the current dynasty.

~rAf
Tally24

PostPosted: 04/03/22 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Except for a smattering of Seattle/Bird fans, I haven't seen much evidence of non UConn fans enjoying the BirdTaurasi show.

I do understand UConn fans wanting to soak up every minute of the dynasty as long as it lasts. But seriously thinking many others would enjoy it even a fraction as much is myopic, at best.

I am a fan of women's basketball. Highlights have been watching my team take down then dynasty Tennessee and then beating current dynasty UConn. It's not hate, it's wanting all the teams and players represented, not just the ones in the current dynasty.

I think your barometer to gage interest might be a little myopic because Twitter was ablaze with people loving it lol.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“Basketball is a game of inches, just ask the ‘Cocks.”

“…Do you take those inches?”

Goddamn the B&T Show. 😂😂😂😂😂

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm...

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Birdy comparing Ducharme to Alysha Clark (3-and-D, post-up skills) is a real compliment.

But in the same sentence she claims Christyn Williams will have a great WNBA career. We shall see, I suppose.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ducharme is nothing like Clark was in college

PostPosted: 04/03/22 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ducharme is nothing like Clark was in college

I believe Birdy was referring to who Clark is as a player nowadays. Razz

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/22 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Everything is cyclical. SC will be there for awhile, and then there will be someone else. Gamecock fans should enjoy it while it lasts. UConn fans had better do the same, because Geno will not be there forever. NC State fans already know how things are and so do us Tennessee fans and you Duke fans.

PostPosted: 04/04/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn’t watch the games with their original commentary. But after subsequent reviews featuring the Bird and Taurasi commentsry, I enjoyed it. Anyone have data points on viewer numbers for their show? I could see their appeal to casual sports fans.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/05/22 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wish they would’ve had Muffett as a guest.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/05/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I didn’t watch the games with their original commentary. But after subsequent reviews featuring the Bird and Taurasi commentsry, I enjoyed it. Anyone have data points on viewer numbers for their show? I could see their appeal to casual sports fans.

Their first broadcast did not rate high enough to have an idea. The second game had numbers about 3.8% of the main broadcast. The championship had about 4.9% of the main broadcast with ESPN2 of course being more widely carried than ESPNU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: