RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament Selection Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27 singular accomplishments to celebrate the NCAA women's tournament turning 40

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2022-03-15/27-singular-accomplishments-celebrate-ncaa-womens-tournament-turning-40

Quote:
There have been six regionals held in the state of Connecticut and the Huskies were in all of them

PostPosted: 03/17/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that the NCAA Tournament is going to 2-regionals next year? While I think it'll be a good thing, the regional choices are going to be a literal disaster a few times:

2023: Greenville, SC & Seattle, WA
2024: Albany, NY & Portland, OR
2025: Birmingham, AL & Spokane, WA
2026: Fort Worth, TX & Sacramento, CA

Like, have them in cities that are destinations-

While I live in Syracuse and Albany is a short drive for me and I'm excited, that's not exactly a place where tourism booms. Like, I love UCONN and women's basketball-but I'm not flying all the way to Birmingham, Fort Worth or Greeneville for 5 days. At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities. Like, why can't Philly, DC, NYC, Atlanta, or Tampa be the cities for the east coast schools?

It just goes to show that there are only so many places that are willing to host the regionals, which is why Bridgeport is often used, because it assures butts are in the seats.

Bingo. And by that criterion, all New England-based regionals should be in Boston, not Bridgeport. Besides having 1,000,000x more things to see and do, it has a major airport that makes travel easier for everyone from other areas of the country. There's no way I'm driving to Bridgeport for anything, ever.

Arenas bid for the regionals. Both Bridgeport and Albany (and Trenton NJ) offered better guarantees to the NCAA. They take the risk of UConn being there. UConn benefits from having a large fan base. But instead of emulating UConn people want the rules changed to keep fans from filling arenas. Funny but I remember a time when Tenn would have more fans at their away games than the home team. Everyone praised Pat for building a national fan base. I don't remember reading any Voepel articles about unfairness then.
Rolling Eyes

It’s always a double standard when it comes to UConn.

Bottom line is, putting UConn near CT is good for $$$ (just as it was for Tenn). So the NCAA is gonna do it, every time.

If teams think this is unfair, they should work to build a bigger fan base.

PostPosted: 03/17/22 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that the NCAA Tournament is going to 2-regionals next year? While I think it'll be a good thing, the regional choices are going to be a literal disaster a few times:

While I live in Syracuse and Albany is a short drive for me and I'm excited, that's not exactly a place where tourism booms. Like, I love UCONN and women's basketball-but I'm not flying all the way to Birmingham, Fort Worth or Greeneville for 5 days. At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities. Like, why can't Philly, DC, NYC, Atlanta, or Tampa be the cities for the east coast schools?

It just goes to show that there are only so many places that are willing to host the regionals, which is why Bridgeport is often used, because it assures butts are in the seats.

Bingo. And by that criterion, all New England-based regionals should be in Boston, not Bridgeport. Besides having 1,000,000x more things to see and do, it has a major airport that makes travel easier for everyone from other areas of the country. There's no way I'm driving to Bridgeport for anything, ever.

Ok. REPEAT AFTER MEEEEEEE!

We.

Understand.

That.

But you can only give regionals to cities that bid to host them. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for everyone to grasp. When it's the same small cities over and over and over again, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

So there's only 4 cities that bid every year? Who knew? Rolling Eyes

No! But this tourney needs to make $$$$, ya know, so they can have equality?!? If the choices are Bridgeport(where you know it'll be a sellout) or Pittsburgh, where should the NCAA go?

I guarantee you not too many arenas/cities aren't dialing the phone too hard to host them.

Are they bidding 50-80 mil? I doubt it.

From the "Bubble Comparison" thread.
Quote:
The broadcast rights for women’s basketball alone will be worth between $81 million and $112 million annually in 2025, based on an estimate by Ed Desser, an independent media expert hired by Kaplan. Currently, they’re thrown in with the rights to more than two dozen other sports, for which ESPN pays all of $34 million a year.

Quote:
And before the keyboard warrior misogynists start whatabouting the differences in revenues generated, give the women the same kind of support and promotion the men have had the past four-plus decades and we’ll talk. But the NCAA is so short-sighted, it never even considered it was leaving money on the table with women’s sports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2022/03/15/march-madness-sure-bet-ncaa-short-change-womens-tournament/7051782001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 12 looks pretty strong at 4-0

PostPosted: 03/22/22 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on neutral sites.

Quote:
Cost is likely to be a factor, particularly one brought up by the detractors. Renting out arenas would almost certainly be more expensive than playing at home sites. But that’s just one more reason for ESPN to separate the women’s tournament from all its other NCAA championships and sell the women’s tournament — estimated to be worth between $81 million and $121 million — separately.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/03/21/women-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-games-neutral-site/9457182002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/22/22 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
More on neutral sites.

Quote:
Cost is likely to be a factor, particularly one brought up by the detractors. Renting out arenas would almost certainly be more expensive than playing at home sites. But that’s just one more reason for ESPN to separate the women’s tournament from all its other NCAA championships and sell the women’s tournament — estimated to be worth between $81 million and $121 million — separately.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/03/21/women-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-games-neutral-site/9457182002/

I'm grateful this is getting some much-deserved attention, and in a major news outlet, no less. Perhaps I just haven't paid attention enough in previous years, but it seems like there have been somewhere around 10 games this year where playing on a neutral court could have changed the outcome of the game.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/22 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN doesn't want to separate the WCBB tournament from the package. They are getting a bargain. It's the NCAA losing out.

PostPosted: 03/22/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ESPN doesn't want to separate the WCBB tournament from the package. They are getting a bargain. It's the NCAA losing out.

True, but what other options would there be to ESPN? FoxSports? NBCSports? Would either be willing to pick up as many women's games throughout the season as ESPN now carries? CBS has the guys games. ABC is tied to ESPN/Disney. Some kind of strange deal with the conference networks?

Would/could the NCAA start their own network? Eliminate the middleman that is ESPN?

Does ESPN care enough about women's basketball to meet the NCAA in the middle on this or do they just take their ball and go home?

None of them seem so great given the familiarity of the public to ESPN, but the NCAA Network could be interesting.

Other options?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/23/22 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Arenas bid for the regionals. Both Bridgeport and Albany (and Trenton NJ) offered better guarantees to the NCAA. They take the risk of UConn being there. UConn benefits from having a large fan base. But instead of emulating UConn people want the rules changed to keep fans from filling arenas. Funny but I remember a time when Tenn would have more fans at their away games than the home team. Everyone praised Pat for building a national fan base. I don't remember reading any Voepel articles about unfairness then.
Rolling Eyes

It’s always a double standard when it comes to UConn.

Bottom line is, putting UConn near CT is good for $$$ (just as it was for Tenn). So the NCAA is gonna do it, every time.

If teams think this is unfair, they should work to build a bigger fan base.

Yup! There is no doubt that in the coming years, the regionals are going to be catered around Dawn and SC, but it won't be talked about nearly as much-as she is head of the "good 'ole girls" club. You think Muffet McGraw is going to say anything remotely controversial about Dawn, South Carolina, or the mighty SEC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: