RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#12 Belmont vs #5 Oregon - 3/19/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/22 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Oregon's #1 recruiting class from a few years back just has not delivered.

I'd mostly agree: in a class of five 5-star recruits, only PaoPao has demonstrated any *wow* factor. Each of them has demonstrated capacity for brilliance, but if you don't DELIVER CONSISTENTLY, then what's the value of those *stars* on your recruitment resume?

Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Very Happy
Besides Prince & Sabally, I wonder if everyone else on Oregon's roster comes back. So much pure talent up & down the whole roster, but only so many minutes. There also seems to be chemistry issues within the main rotation groupings, as well as more than a few players simply underachieving despite their own talent & the talent around them. With yet another elite recruiting class coming in next season, I would not be surprised to see some Duck defections in the coming weeks.

Well, when your coach calls you out...

Quote:
"I think at times our players have acted and performed entitled," Graves said. "I mean, we have had a nice run. We made it at least to the Sweet 16 every year since 2017. First first-round exit in a long time. This group hasn't won anything. We haven't won a Pac-12 championship. We haven't won in the NCAA tournament, with great depth."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33552849/oregon-women-basketball-coach-kelly-graves-calls-players-ducks-fall-2ot

If your implication is that players may 'defect' cuz their coach "called them out", you didn't really comprehend the article accurately. Kelly was spot on, imo: he DID shoulder the responsibility for this loss, and he was also right about the "entitlement" factor: it's almost as if some of these kids filed into Oregon's high-profile Sabrina/Ruthie/Satou program, expecting it all to just roll on.
Meanwhile, NONE of them has asserted themselves as leader. I've often heard things said (about various teams), "This is Jane Doe's team....she takes charge". To me, the one Oregon player who's come closest to that is Endiya Rogers, in many games - and she's a transfer! And of course, she was mostly MIA last night. Which brings us back, full-circle to the idea of consistency.
Team chemistry is just fine, imo. Kelly talks about how well the kids all get along, etc. But if they're flying along with the "Pajama Party Team" mentality, there needs to be a shaking up; sometimes, I think Kelly may be too gentle with them. There needs to be 1 or 2 "Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners" type of leaders to step forward.

Also - and I have no way to validate this - I believe Mark Campbell's presence has left a void that has affected all these factors.

PostPosted: 03/20/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly think Belmont just wanted it more. They've gone out early a lot of times and came in determined not to this year. I also think they may have actually surprised themselves a little....Like, "Holy cow, we're actually DOING this? Okay, let's finish it!" As a Tennessee fan, I'm just kinda hoping they left it all on the floor yesterday, though. Wink

PostPosted: 03/20/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some say the best thing about the Ducks since the graduation of THE class in 2020 is Prince's pic of the "weight room".

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/20/22 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some of what Graves said should have been said behind the closed doors of the locker room or in front of a mirror, not to the media to be disseminated to the public.

PostPosted: 03/20/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I think some of what Graves said should have been said behind the closed doors of the locker room or in front of a mirror, not to the media to be disseminated to the public.

And what specifically, praytell, might fit that category? If you've caught past post-game pressers of his, it's very much in keeping with how he rolls. He trashes no one, acknowledges his deficits as coach, and credits the opposition.

PostPosted: 03/20/22 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Very Happy

Besides Prince & Sabally, I wonder if everyone else on Oregon's roster comes back. So much pure talent up & down the whole roster, but only so many minutes. There also seems to be chemistry issues within the main rotation groupings, as well as more than a few players simply underachieving despite their own talent & the talent around them. With yet another elite recruiting class coming in next season, I would not be surprised to see some Duck defections in the coming weeks.

Well, when your coach calls you out...

Quote:
"I think at times our players have acted and performed entitled," Graves said. "I mean, we have had a nice run. We made it at least to the Sweet 16 every year since 2017. First first-round exit in a long time. This group hasn't won anything. We haven't won a Pac-12 championship. We haven't won in the NCAA tournament, with great depth."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33552849/oregon-women-basketball-coach-kelly-graves-calls-players-ducks-fall-2ot

Time for a new coach for that talent Kelly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: