RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#15 Mercer vs #2 Connecticut - 3/19/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/22 2:11 am    ::: #15 Mercer vs #2 Connecticut - 3/19/22 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament - First Round
Storrs, CT - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ABC (Pam Ward, Stephanie White)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=ccac0eea-1376-4231-84e2-e77a30e911f8 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://player.streamguys.com/sportsmicradionetwork/sgplayer/mobile.php?s=8

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/bracket.php?tid=d1wbb#
https://www.ncaa.com/game/5981680

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/22 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Bears!

PostPosted: 03/19/22 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wish I had the media password that's needed to access the good stats. We get to see them all season but in the biggest games of the year the NCAA restricts access. Real classy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/19/22 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Buecker" starting according to Nikki Fargas, who continuously mispronounces or gets the names of players and coaches wrong, or talks about the wrong teams.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight should be supplying pbp on this one.

43-23 CON end of half

Williams 9 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 2 TO, 2 stl

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/22 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We didn't have much chance with our leading scorer, we're certainly not going to hang in without her.

PostPosted: 03/19/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno Auriemma just accomplished something Pat Summitt never did, defeating Mercer. The Bears handed Summitt her first loss as head coach at Tennessee and she never scheduled them again.

PostPosted: 03/19/22 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was a non-competitive game and an easy win for UConn, but I can't help focusing on things that will hurt UConn, perhaps fatally, in close games against an elite team: crappy free throw shooting (58%), too much jump shooting and too little successful post entry passing, poor 2pt shooting (44%) against a weak and short team, too many turnovers (15), and too many fouls (15).

Bueckers looks about 80% of what she was pre-injury. She still seems to favor the left knee.

The nine player rotation and balanced scoring is a welcome change from the multiple injury days of this season.
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/19/22 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"Buecker" starting according to Nikki Fargas, who continuously mispronounces or gets the names of players and coaches wrong, or talks about the wrong teams.

I hope for the sake of the Aces that Fargas is better in her position with them than she was as a coach and as a studio analyst. Elle Duncan is horrendous and she is worse. What an embarrassment for ESPN.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/19/22 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to draw any sort of conclusion.

I’m glad Bueckers will have a few warm up games before the tournament really gets going. I’d agree that she’s 80%, and I’d add that she’s still the best player on the floor.

Caroline seems to be in a bit of a funk. She could be the X factor.

Against good teams, I’ll take an Azzi jump shot over any of our post players attempting a layup.

PostPosted: 03/19/22 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Against good teams, I’ll take an Azzi jump shot over any of our post players attempting a layup.

So true.

If only Azzi could be freed up more, and also take more drives to draw fouls. She has the ability to be a 90% FT shooter, but has to get more aggressive in traffic to get to the line. She should take driving aggression lessons from Ashley Joens at ISU, Caitlyn Clark at Iowa or Abby Meyers at Princeton.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/22 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn post players take layups? Seems like they both were taking Lavender-lengthed long two’s when I was watching.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/19/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

she went from playing 35mpg and being the go-to scoring option to playing half the minutes and an after thought. i don't think she's in a funk, just much fewer opportunities.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/19/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

she went from playing 35mpg and being the go-to scoring option to playing half the minutes and an after thought. i don't think she's in a funk, just much fewer opportunities.

Her three point shooting has tailed off as the season has gone on. I agree that she (among others) have adjusted roles with everyone finally healthy, and they haven't needed to really define those. She has such success in the lane, whether posting up or driving, that I'd like to see more of that.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/20/22 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige Buckets™️

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/20/22 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Her three point shooting has tailed off as the season has gone on. I agree that she (among others) have adjusted roles with everyone finally healthy, and they haven't needed to really define those. She has such success in the lane, whether posting up or driving, that I'd like to see more of that.

Indeed. Ducharme is only a mythical exc 3-pt shooter. Her 2-6 yesterday improved her seasonal avg to .289. She is a horrendous turnover machine with power forward like numbers- 36/48, numbers generally not associated with guards. But, IS she a guard? She's actually a weird tweener, imo, who's game is excellent from 12-feet and in, especially vs smaller guards.

Unfortunately for UCONN, Ducharme has a gunner's mentality while both Fudd and Bueckers, the real 3-pt shooters on the team, defer much, much, MUCH too often.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: