Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/30/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
The entire LA Sparks franchise needs to get blown up. New owners, GM, Coach, etc, etc, etc.

They can let everyone not committed to a contract go (and let Chiney go even if she's on contract). Go all in on free agents and rookies from the waiver wire.

And blowing the team up would also mean trading away Nneka Ogwumike, right?

I was kind of thinking about that

What if Toliver and Chiney retire

then Blow it up and reboot

trade Wheeler and a 2nd round pick 16 for Carter
trade N. Ogwumike to Dallas for the lottery pick and who you think has more upside between Collier and Kuier
re-sign Cox and Cooper

build the new team around Carter, lottery pick (Austin or N. Smith), Collier or Kuier, Cox, Cooper, Guirantes, pick 15 Henderson

Carter/Henderson
Sykes/Cooper/Guirantes
G. Williams/Coffey
N. Smith or Austin/Cox/Walker
Collier or Kuier/Zahui B

develop and soft tank
end up in lottery again
get that LA bounce
draft Boston

Carter/Henerson
Guirantes/Cooper
G. Williams/Walker
Austin or N. Smith/Cox
Boston/Collier or Kuier

keep Sykes and Coffey or pull in an upgrade of free agent talent

just a thought
but by 23 you could be building your team around 5-6 lottery picks if you pull off those trades
take with a grain of salt
but blowing it up and a youth brigade is a very viable root to go

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/30/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
[

Carter/Henderson
Sykes/Cooper/Guirantes
G. Williams/Coffey
N. Smith or Austin/Cox/Walker
Collier or Kuier/Zahui B

develop and soft tank
end up in lottery again
get that LA bounce
draft Boston

yikes. definitely keep your lottery pick. could this team even beat Indy?

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/01/21 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep! Give Dallas Nneka ( I think VJ wanted her last year in free agency) and will give back ur lottery pick, ours & Collier. Hell, I'll even throw in those 3rd rounders - she's a former MVP.

PostPosted: 10/01/21 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Yep! Give Dallas Nneka ( I think VJ wanted her last year in free agency) and will give back ur lottery pick, ours & Collier. Hell, I'll even throw in those 3rd rounders - she's a former MVP.

I want Nneka also but not if we have to give LA their lottery pick back AND ours!!! Add Nneka + Burrell, trade Ty Harris, Thornton or Dungee and this team can make some serious noise going forward.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/01/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I want Nneka also but not if we have to give LA their lottery pick back AND ours!!! Add Nneka + Burrell, trade Ty Harris, Thornton or Dungee and this team can make some serious noise going forward.

They'd want a pick. I don't see LA giving her up for trades only

PostPosted: 10/01/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

They'd want a pick. I don't see LA giving her up for trades only

Lottery picks are great in the years where there are multiple great players available. But if your team wants to compete at a high level right now and make noise in the playoffs then you should probably go after a high end star player. Rookies usually take time to adjust to the league. Even the best ones have to climb the learning tree. If you want to want to contend, then you need to spend.

PostPosted: 10/01/21 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
They can let everyone not committed to a contract go

That's virtually no one. Releasing Arella Guirantes probably isn't turning the franchise around.

That's the one positive thing if they were to nuke the roster and initiate a rebuild starting now. Since everyone's under contract, the Sparks can actually trade them away and get whatever they can for them, as opposed to more players than not leaving as free agents and leaving the Sparks empty-handed. Beyond NOgwumike – Wheeler, Sykes, and Zahui B. all have trade value because they're all still useful, and I think they'd all be receptive to being traded if Fisher & the front office were to communicate to each of them that a hard reset was in the works.

They really ought to consider a rebuild. Even if everyone were to return and return healthy (which is a big 'if' in & of itself), there's virtually no chance this roster has the talent to finish in the Top 3.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can ride this roster out. Toliver is the one I’d deal away, but nobody wants her at 196K.

Wheeler/(Cooper)
Toliver/Guirantes
GWilliams/Sykes
NOgwumike/COgwuike/Walker
Zahui/(Cox)

With Cooper and Cox needing to sign at around minimum.

If they this do this, they can’t afford Coffey. GWill takes her spot.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/01/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They can ride this roster out.

To where? 5th place at best? Fine by me. Laughing Watch everyone walk in 2023 and be forced into something of a rebuild then anyway.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/01/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TBH I wasn't completely all in on the blow it up was just kind of tinkering, with that said it does seem like the better path to me ATM.

The team as is can't compete with LV or Conn, probably can't compete with Seattle or Chicago depending how they do with their own free agents, probably can't compete with Minny or PX either and would even struggle with up and coming Dallas and NY, add a healthy EDD back to Washington and this LA team would have to fight to get into the playoffs at all.

Their only other hope is Chiney and Toliver retiring and re-investing that money in other free agents would RFA MHA, Deshields or Russell move the needle? Would Cambage want to live out her LA dream? Would Meeseman come to LA or Vadeeva return to LA? Could LA tempt Fowles or Charles to come aboard?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/01/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage might still want to live in L.A. The big question that has been on my mind lately is which players will demand to get that supermax salary? Complimentary question would be what teams would be willing to dole out those supermax contracts?

PostPosted: 10/01/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Cambage might still want to live in L.A. The big question that has been on my mind lately is which players will demand to get that supermax salary? Complimentary question would be what teams would be willing to dole out those supermax contracts?

That is why I put Cambage, Charles, Fowles and Meesseman on the list. In the scenario of Toliver and Chiney retiring (196K and 110K respectively) enough money becomes available where LA could give one of those players a super max contract. I am not sure their current teams could and/or would. So would a super max be enough to lure those players away from teams they seem to be very comfortable with? Maybe? IDK?

I do think adding any of those four player to a starting quartet of Wheeler, Sykes, G. Williams and N. Ogwumike would make LA a much more competitive team.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/21 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where are you getting the notion that Toliver wants to retire? Do you have a quote or something? Toliver isn’t that old that she couldn’t do 4 months of being injury-prone for $196K. Has anybody turned down a guaranteed contract like that? Maybe a divorce agreement for half of it? Doesn’t seem something Fisher would do. If Toliver agrees to half then signs with another team for minimum, you could be giving another team a key cog (CON?) for cheap.

If Chiney can stay healthy, $110K is a bargain for her. Worth the risk? Probably.

After this season, I’m not sure why people think Cambage is a solution. Can’t even stay in shape over the Olympic break so she can play some minutes? I’m kinda done with her. Yeah, if you want to literally blow up a team, adding Cambage might be way to do it.

I think it’s hard for some people to judge how good the Sparks could be next year based on this year because they had a lot of injuries that factored in how bad they were.

As far being a Top 4 team, any team that isn’t projected Top 4 should blow up? Are you anticipating the Liberty as a Top 4 team? If not, where are your plans to blow up the team? I missed it. The Liberty weren’t appreciably better than the Sparks with less excuses.

Most of the top teams now should run into money problems. Who knows how that might affect them.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/02/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty have a young super star in the making in Ionescu, Howard missed half the season. The Liberty have the #5 pick and enough cap room to make moves without having to lose anyone. They also have the possibility of Johannes and/or Durr returning without having to give up anyone. Howard and Laney their top two players atm are younger than Toliver and N. Ogwumike and better than Sykes and Wheeler. It is not a good comp. I wouldn't blow up Dallas either because their best two player Ogunbowale and Sabally are ascending not descending or plateau-ing and they have a lottery pick and another mid first round pick in 22 and cap space which is not the case in LA

I am only thinking Toliver might retire because she has a good paying legit position in the NBA. I agree that a guaranteed salary and love of the game could bring her back which is why that discussion always has the qualifier "if" or "hope" involved. (Current players left from Toliver's draft class 2009 Vaughn, Zellous, Bonner, January, maybe McCoughtry if she returns, if any of those players retired except maybe Bonner would it be shocking? and that is a lot as 2008 and 2010 only has two players left respectively hell there's only three left from Nneka's draft class 2012 so not old but not young either).

LA lost two of its big three last year and put Ok pieces around aging stars maybe that can work, maybe with better chemistry and swapping Gabby in for Coffey they will be a lot better, maybe the problem with LA isn't the players, but LA seems ripe to go in a new direction. Right now LA has no cap space, no first round draft picks and 6 guaranteed contracts, so running it back or blowing it up are literally their only options.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/25/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/KristiToliver/status/1474866491073851392

Quote:
I must’ve been on the Naughty list this year…Got Covid for Christmas Everyone stay healthy and masked up! Happy Holidays

PostPosted: 12/25/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Get well soon, Kristi! Damn, I feel bad for anyone who gets covid at any time of the year, let alone during this time of year. 🥺

hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/04/22 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kinda off topic but refers to one of y'all players, how many of y'all bball/Barbie enthusiasts going cop that new Te'a Cooper Barbie? #MoneyMoves
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/18/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Fisher try to shop Gray and Parker before they were FA's? Just seems weird that LA could have gotten something back for them... Question Question

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/18/22 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Did Fisher try to shop Gray and Parker before they were FA's? Just seems weird that LA could have gotten something back for them... Question Question

Didn't both make it clear if they didn't sign with their current teams they were going to go back to LA, so not much shopping could be done if they wouldn't have agreed to play for another team and if their current teams (the Aces and Sky) though they had a legitimate chance to get them as free agents, which obviously they did, why offer anything to the Sparks when you can wait a year or two and just offer a contract.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/20/22 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-re-sign-tea-cooper-2/

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/03/22 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure it happens after her statement but lets say LA can unload Zahui B's contract at the price of their first round pick in 23 or pick #9 and it frees up enough cash to sign Cambage (ideally to a two year deal)

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Guirantes
Sykes/KLS
N. Ogwumike/Walker
Cambage/C. Ogwumike

throw in the #9 pick that is kind of interesting (or what they get in return from Atl or Indy a rookie they keep, a player they can waive without penalty or some form of future consideration like Atl or Indy's 2nd round pick in 23 as the trade is really a salary dump so LA can afford to pay Cambage)

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 02/05/22 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carter for Wheeler? 😲

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/05/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had that as a guess further up the page

Becomes more interesting if the gabby and wheeler trades free up enough cap space for cambage

Carter/copper
Toliver/Guirantes
Sykes/kls
N.ogwumike/Zahui B/walker
Cambage/c. Ogwumike

Shades

PostPosted: 02/05/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I had that as a guess further up the page

Becomes more interesting if the gabby and wheeler trades free up enough cap space for cambage

Carter/Cooper
Toliver/Guirantes
Sykes/kls
N.ogwumike/Zahui B/walker
Cambage/c. Ogwumike

Yes, it becomes a real and intriguing possibility. Why else would he give up a proven Wheeler for a cheaper but promising player. It’s a masterful job by Fisher if it comes to fruition and leads to success.

And if Carter isn’t ready to lead at PG, maybe Cooper will be. Or you could have Toliver lead at PG and have Sykes slide over to a more appropriate SG position for her.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/05/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also LA probably doesn’t give up the first round pick n 23 if they think they might be in the lottery I doubt swapping Carter for Wheeler is enough to believe that so another move is probably in store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: