RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#15 Texas @ #7 Iowa St - 1/19/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/19/22 3:00 am    ::: #15 Texas @ #7 Iowa St - 1/19/22 Reply Reply with quote

Ames, IA - 7:30 PM ET
TV: None

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/e3e4036b-0795-45ba-8966-c9612c24ee59 (ESPN+)

Audio:
https://cyclones.com/watch/?Live=5250&type=Live

Live stats:
https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=374282

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mred

PostPosted: 01/19/22 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley and Aubrey Joens are both out due to COVID (they are unvaccinated and had a close COVID contact, per their dad). ISU does not have a deep backcourt bench -- if Diew and Espenmiller-McGraw both start, the only backcourt reserves are Frederick (who usually plays only in blowouts or backcourt foul trouble) and King (freshman walk-on). ISU does have for posts and may play some two-post lineups, especially since E-M's minutes are likely still limited (recurring stress injury in her leg).

Another possibility is Denae Fritz comes back. She's been out several games with a leg injury, but she's has looked close to ready the past couple weeks. I suspect the team was considering a medical redshirt for her.

EDIT: The official ISU release states that Fritz is also out due to COVID protocol, so never mind that possibility.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/19/22 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa St looks like they all had novacaine injected into their hands before the game. 28% shooting. Amazing how the loss of their fulcrum player turns the #7 team into an NIT team.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/19/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Iowa St looks like they all had novacaine injected into their hands before the game. 28% shooting. Amazing how the loss of their fulcrum player turns the #7 team into an NIT team.

You'd definitely know something about that, wouldn't you?

linkster

PostPosted: 01/19/22 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
linkster wrote:

You'd definitely know something about that, wouldn't you?

Yup. Actually I've watched IS several times and they run a nice offense. So it gives me some hope for my poor team. Sad

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/19/22 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does this revelation about Joens not being vaccinated do anything to her draft stock?

PostPosted: 01/19/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So does this revelation about Joens not being vaccinated do anything to her draft stock?

She is now on the Rodgers and Irving watch lists.

PostPosted: 01/20/22 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic outcome.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/20/22 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Queenie wrote:

She is now on the Rodgers and Irving watch lists.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy cow, this was embarrassing for ISU. Shows they are basically a one-player team. It was nice to see my homegirl Maggie Vick getting some playing time. She moves well but no scoring. Decent defensive moves on the floor though. I don't get Fennelly's love for that Zingaro girl...ham-handed and klutzy around the basket.

No sympathy for the Joens girls, sorry.

PostPosted: 01/20/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Holy cow, this was embarrassing for ISU. Shows they are basically a one-player team.

It's kind of hard to implement an entirely new offense on short notice, let alone against a top-15 opponent. ISU runs a four-guard offense 95% of the time but were forced to run two posts against Texas about 75% of the time because half of their starting backcourt was suddenly unavailable, leaving only four rotation backcourt players available to play (one of whom, Espenmiller-McGraw, is likely still on a minutes limitation). I don't know when ISU found out that they were unavailable, but it became public knowledge only a couple hours before tip off.

ISU also has matched up poorly with Texas in recent years. ISU was 1-4 vs Texas the prior two seasons, yet 2-2 vs Baylor in that same time period.

summertime blues wrote:
I don't get Fennelly's love for that Zingaro girl...ham-handed and klutzy around the basket.

Zingaro has played 80 total minutes this season, less than ISU's other three post players. She played 10 minutes vs Texas while the other three played around 20 each. I'm not sure what you mean by "love".

summertime blues wrote:
No sympathy for the Joens girls, sorry.

We agree on that.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't get Fennelly's love for that Zingaro girl...ham-handed and klutzy around the basket.

Zingaro has played 80 total minutes this season, less than ISU's other three post players. She played 10 minutes vs Texas while the other three played around 20 each. I'm not sure what you mean by "love".

Every time she got remotely near the basket someone fed her the ball. She couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if she was standing two feet away from it. Klutzy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: